APC Forum

BP without sulfur

BlastFromThePast

I cant imagine using meal as lift. I'd use what? A 1:1 ratio? If I'm not granulating my BP what will I use as break? Meal again?

Granulate your BP.

why such effort to make it work without such as simple inexpensive ingredient?

Sulfur is cheap and readily available

sulfur... i cant get it because its under chemical lisence..

i will go for sulfurless .

Using Balsa and Kno3 .

• Like 1

gohjiejing, I've have some good success with the listed formula above. (10 parts KNO3 2.4 Charcoal). If you want to try sulfurless BP, start there. You might even want to consider playing around with the KNO3 amount. Maybe try a little more than 10 parts. I've been doing it this way for a few days and it seems to work well.

Thanks .. i studying foundation year of 10-11<

What you mean it works ? hmm work like a sulfur BP ? how ? Pooff ?or Thouffff !

can u help me to convert the ratio to something like EG 70:30 ? 10 parts and 2.4 quite confuse ... thakn you

Thanks .. i studying foundation year of 10-11<

What you mean it works ? hmm work like a sulfur BP ? how ? Pooff ?or Thouffff !

can u help me to convert the ratio to something like EG 70:30 ? 10 parts and 2.4 quite confuse ... thakn you

Well I have some that I made yesterday, ungranulated, and it burns as I would describe as a poof. I will granulate some today and then post a video of it in the gallery so you can see for yourself. And as far as the 10 parts to 2.4 parts thing goes, all it means is that you want to combine 10 grams of KNO3 with 2.4 grams charcoal. Thats all. I'll try to get that video up for you as soon as possible.

While I expect it to be very similar in speed to regular BP, it would to take more of it to use as a lift powder because the lack of sulfur means that the composition will produce less gas than a BP would.

To everyone wondering why the hell I'm doing this hahahha, it's more for the sake of experimentation that practicality.

so i will go for sulfurless as you mentions it was quite good :) thanks bro

did u ball mill them ? its hard to get ball mill here .. anyone can guide me how to get or make them ?

do you think sulfurless bp suitable for Stars and Burst Charge ?

and for the video can you post it here ? thank you .

i scare i miss out the vid u post at gallery .

Yeah I'm gonna get that video up for you today. I ball milled it for only a hour and 45 mins. I'm sure you could either grind it with a mortar and pestle but it's going to be inferior. I wouldn't recommend coffee grinder milling it but if thats your only option, then obviously mill them seperately. AND, if you opt to coffee grind, when doing the charcoal be very careful as it can spontaneously heat up and ignite. Back when I used a coffee grinder to mill charcoal I would "pulse" the grinder for 1 or 2 seconds, pause for 4 seconds, and then pulse it again until I got the consistency I wanted. The coffee grinder is far from safe though. I've found also that for the composition I've been talking about, that about 2.5% dextrin works well. So if you wanted to make one standard batch, 10g KNO3 and 2.4g Charcoal, you would want about .3 g of dextrin.

thanks bro , i wanted to make it as lift charge to test . ..

but let me say first i do not own any ball mill .

i can buy mortar pestle and cofee grinder .

can anyone answer me wether sulfurless bp works for crysanthemum star , lift charge , burst charge ?

what is the ratios for each of them ?

thanks

thanks bro , i wanted to make it as lift charge to test . ..

but let me say first i do not own any ball mill .

i can buy mortar pestle and cofee grinder .

can anyone answer me wether sulfurless bp works for crysanthemum star , lift charge , burst charge ?

what is the ratios for each of them ?

thanks

Well here's the thing. While it probably can be used as lift, without the sulfur it's not as "hot" as normal BP is, so you're likely to run into ignition issues of stars and such due to the fact that it isn't as hot. If I were you I would try to make it first, and then play around and see what you can do with it. Theres a reason why though this composition doesn't exist for stars and such. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it certainly doesn't make economical sense. But if you're new to pyro, it certainly doesn't hurt to experiment, given you're not dealing with incompatible chemicals. And again, I know I said it yesterday, but if you go with the coffee grinder method, never mill them together. I'm sorry I sound like a broken record, but I'm relatively new to this stuff I don't want someone getting hurt because of me.

good news , my malaysian youtubers told me i can get sulfur at hardware store . i wonder what kind of hardware store ... do sulfur has other name ? if the shop ask me why i get sulfur for , how should i telll him ?

If they ask, just tell them it's for gardening related purposes. Sulfur is used to make alkaline soil more acidic. I've seen it be under the name flowers of sulfur before. It would be best to look at the back of the packaging and check the chemical content on the back to make sure there isn't any other unwanted stuff in it too.

• 1 year later...

I my self use 8:2 as Sulphur is ridiculously expensive here, I'm happy with it

But after granulation it tends to leave white balls while the meal powder burns clean

• 2 years later...

Just because they don't know it's called sulfur, doesn't mean it's not in a product. I once called up every nearby hardware store and asked if they have toluene. They all said they didn't. But, when I was at those stores at a later time for a different reason, I found that they have a whole shelf for toluene--except it was labled Toluol.

What you mean with all those words? Are you saying that Toluene is another name for Sulfur or what?

No, he's saying that toluene, a solvent, is, was, sold as toluol. That is the proper name... in Germany.

Sulfur, much in the same way, can be sold as a number of things, not only "sulfur", which makes it hard to know if it is, or isn't available in a certain market.

B!

No, he's saying that toluene, a solvent, is, was, sold as toluol. That is the proper name... in Germany.

Sulfur, much in the same way, can be sold as a number of things, not only "sulfur", which makes it hard to know if it is, or isn't available in a certain market.

B!

That's precisely what I wanted to know too! Other names of products containing high levels of sulfur available.