APC Forum

BP without sulfur

BlastFromThePast

Hi everyone,

Quick question...In your opinion, what is the best sulfurless BP composition? I've done some research and found someone who claims that 8:3 KNO3/C works well.

Also, on a side note, I was able to pick up a mini food processor for $7 at a garage sale and was wondering if anyone has used such a thing for processing charcoal...Any thoughts. I know I know, you're gonna tell me to just try it but I was just curious if anyone else has done such a thing with any luck?

Thanks!

i never tried sulfurless bp.

be carefull, people have injured themselves grinding charcoal in coffee grinders and blenders.

You will ignite charcoal if it gets too hot, be sure not to be near any compositions or devices and wear some face ppe or operate it remotely.

Ive killed a few blenders with cat litter and charcoal, unless it can handle ice and nuts easilly it wont last long.

Crushing it then milling it is the way to go, quicker, cleaner, cheaper, if you can get a meat grinder then mill it even better.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

Well I already did a preliminary crushing with a 2x4 after cooking it but I was talking about turning it into airfloat using the food processor. And thanks for the heads up about burning out the motor. Already started smelling it over-heating :unsure: hahaha

It's not that I don't want it, I just haven't been able to get some yet. It's next on my list of things to get but I thought in the meantime why not experiment a little with sulfurless BP. I know it's most likely going to be inferior to regular BP but still wanted to see what kind of results I could get.

its not burning the motor out that is the problem with charcoal it is that if it gathers somewhere in the vessel it could compact, rub, heat and then ignite, possibly blowing the lid off and giving you a bad day. I know of a few that gave up pyro after doing exactly this.

anything you put in a blender that is chunky and hard enough to need more torque than the motor can give and the blades can cut will cause a failiure aswell, cut or burnt injured is the same to me.

Mill it.

Dan.

double post Edited by dan999ification

i was not putting it down i was just interested to learn something

Don't worry, wasn't under the impression that you were

sulfur is to reduce the ignition temperature or sensitivity .. so basicallly i think it not nessacary

Well I tested the 8:3 KNO3/Charcoal comp and it was slow burning at best. I found on this site a comp that calls for essentially 10 parts KNO3 to 2.4 parts charcoal, when simplified. I don't know how muzzle-loader BP is supposed to compare to lift BP but if it's good enough to shoot a bullet, it might as well be worth trying.

The muzzle-loader BP can be used, but I don't suggest the "replacements" such as Hodgdon 777. I used GoEx when I first started FFg and it worked well. Making your own gets you more flexibility as well as being a lot cheaper though.

Well I made the BP per his suggestion using 10 parts KNO3 2.4 Charcoal and it's OK. How necessary is it to wet the comp screen it together? I tested it dry, after milling the chems and then mixing. Will wetting and screening make a whole lot of a difference?

Your taking about granulation. It is essential to lift powder, infact, until you granulate it, it's not even lift powder at all. Granulation is not a mixing proceduce.

When the powder is too fine it becomes a fireblock, so without granulation the powder burns too slowly for lift.

Sulphur reduces the ignition temperature of BP, normal BP uses and benefits from it's sulphur content. However there are a few uses for sulphurless BP, primes for chlorate mixes being an important one.

Most of the chemicals that you can ever want for pyro are available, and -especially for a beginner- it's poor form to improvise til you are familiar with the science and practise of what you are doing.

Sulphur is used in pyro, as a horse treatment, as a glasshouse fumigant, and a s a soil treatment, -so it should be in a store near you already. Sulphur used to be mined as rock, it now comes from the production of ultra low sulphur petrol and diesel -there are mountains of it in oil extracting countries so it should be cheap!

Edited by Arthur

Thank you everyone for your input. I've called every single store that would possibly have it within a 25 mile radius (there aren't many stores like that where I live). I'm just gonna wind up having to buy it from skylighter. And just a word about the comp I described above, (10 parts to 2.4 parts)...I milled it for even longer and it's REALLY fast. I know people coat rice hulls for burst, but I was reading a skylighter newsletter last night, and it talked about coating rice hulls for lift. It's in newsletter #96. In the eyes of others I could see how this might be viewed as a waste and such but what kind of merit would this hold to actually make lift this way?

Just because they don't know it's called sulfur, doesn't mean it's not in a product. I once called up every nearby hardware store and asked if they have toluene. They all said they didn't. But, when I was at those stores at a later time for a different reason, I found that they have a whole shelf for toluene--except it was labled Toluol.

i made bp using just the mill and i use the meal for lift i actually like it better than granulating it the lift was not harsh like the goex i used to use Edited by eb11

Oh it will work. It'll just be less effective. much less reliable, and you'll need to use significantly more.