APC Forum

tombegood

Hmmmm...pneumatic press? Any easier way? lol

I believe the article talks about hand ramming them as well. For golf ball size ones I would think you could hand ram them hard enough.

Also, in reference to your original posts, I suspect you could fill that cannon to the end with BP and not blow it up but I would not count on the same from flash. I really wouldn't do it. Make salutes if you want to go that route rather than risking your cannon blowing up and killing you. If you have to shoot exploding stuff stick to BP.

I believe the article talks about hand ramming them as well. For golf ball size ones I would think you could hand ram them hard enough.

OK just glanced at it. That is a really nice effect

Will definitely read up on that.

Thanks! :D

Also, in reference to your original posts, I suspect you could fill that cannon to the end with BP and not blow it up but I would not count on the same from flash. I really wouldn't do it. Make salutes if you want to go that route rather than risking your cannon blowing up and killing you. If you have to shoot exploding stuff stick to BP.

Yes flash is a completely different animal.

Not to mention you don't need a mug or cannon to get flash to boom. They sure do make a sweet heavy thump with BP though! That is a really nice cannon, you did a great job on the carriage. Edited by Short5

Not to mention you don't need a mug or cannon to get flash to boom. They sure do make a sweet heavy thump with BP though! That is a really nice cannon, you did a great job on the carriage.

Thanks. Some of the guys on the Greaybeard Outdoors cannon forum were annoyed with my design when I was building it. It isn't traditional enough for them.

Once they saw the finished product they seemed to stop with their comments...lol

The barrel was machined by Cannon Thunder. I had them bore the diameter a little larger than their specs. It was way too tight for the golf ball diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are into photography you can always play with night shots of your cannon using a slow shutter speed. This is my little cannon.

http://shortwave5.smugmug.com/photos/i-rLcmmtP/0/XL/i-rLcmmtP-XL.jpg

Did you shoot that with your Canon?

How does ATF differentiate a cannon shooting explosive projectiles vs. a firework mortar shooting shells full of explosives? They're more or less the same thing... Is it more about intended use than what it is?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

• 1 month later...
21oz.BP hope you don't live close to me. 4oz. at best for a blank, 1oz. for a ball. My cannon in the picture has a bore of 2.25" and all i shoot w/ball is 2oz. blanks 6oz. battle load is 4oz.. What kind of steel did you turn it out of? FLASH? A cannon explodes 1 killed film at 10:00.​ It wasn't about tradition its about you trying to build a bomb. I see his last post was in Nov. so he might already be dead. Taiwn i dont think they would like that eather. Edited by dynomike1

21oz.BP hope you don't live close to me. 4oz. at best for a blank, 1oz. for a ball. My cannon in the picture has a bore of 2.25" and all i shoot w/ball is 2oz. blanks 6oz. battle load is 4oz.. What kind of steel did you turn it out of? FLASH? A cannon explodes 1 killed film at 10:00.​ It wasn't about tradition its about you trying to build a bomb. I see his last post was in Nov. so he might already be dead. Taiwn i dont think they would like that eather.

LOL Very much alive. Where are you getting 21 oz? 600 grain=1.371 oz... http://www.unitconversion.org/weight/grains-to-ounces-conversion.html

My cannon is machined from solid stainless.

Don't worry all...I always do my research. I will never use flash powder in my cannon!

Peace!

Did you shoot that with your Canon?

How does ATF differentiate a cannon shooting explosive projectiles vs. a firework mortar shooting shells full of explosives? They're more or less the same thing... Is it more about intended use than what it is?

Just got a new SLR for Christmas :) aperture set at for this?

AH Hell My bad i figured in Grams

• 3 months later...

Can't you just use a smaller amount of flash powder for golf ball cannons and be safe?

Black powder is so messy compared to good flash.

The golf ball should fail before the cannon barrel right?

It would be kind of nice for someone knowledgeable about flash powder to give some good usable and safe advice and proper ratio guides or at least power conversions from BP to flash for cannon fans.

It's all dangerous.. ignorance.. knowledge sharing is our tool for safety.

We none of us invented this art form that we love.

Share some info if you care.

I wouldn't count on it. I find granulated BP to be much less messy than flash anyway. At least in terms of the raw material. BP might leave more residue in the chamber. In any case, flash does not really have a great deal of propulsive power or gas production. All of the products are solids at RT, and there is a lot of solid even at combustion temperatures.

Black powder pushes, flash fractures. Flash is a lousy propellant and excessively dangerous to use as such.

Well thanks for the info..

My golf ball cannon is just a shorty 1.70 bore 5 inch barrel 1.25x .625 powder chamber.

I just thought with that tiny barrel a wee bit of kno3 and some fine al would give better hang time.. less mess.

• 3 weeks later...

If I want to have red or green smoke come out of my golf ball or salute cannon do I just add a wee bit of Strontium nitrate or Barium nitrate mixed with sugar on top of the powder before the wadding and golf ball?

I ordered a pound of each from Skylighter.com but now I wonder if that's what I need for the effect I'm after.

Edited by Bilbobaker

That won't colour the smoke, it may have an influence on the flames colour but I doubt it will be that noticeable.

I'd put chalk after the wadding then the ball.

Coloured smoke relys on a coloured particles, normally dyes being aerosolised.

I may be wrong here but I'd expect strontium or barium nitrate with sugar to make a coloured flame but white smoke :(

Dan.