APC Forum

Nishiki Kamuro

pyrowinner

Bright Streamer.(Very impressive effect,)

I used this stars competition formula in my shells. Formula taken from hardts book,

Effect: - Bright Streamer

Composition in weight:

KNO3 29%

Charcoal. 34%

Ferrotitanium. 25%

Sulphur. 6%

Dextrin. 6%

Screen the ingredients together few times. (I never ballmill above composition) screened comp make a longer tail as well as more glittery effect & get a longer hang time.

Pump the stars, damp composition in 75/25 W/A. Use BP-Silicon prime.

Edited by Mumbles

no wonder it's bright, it's 25% ferrotitanium! :P well luckily I have a very loose pyro budget, I will try this one :)

Will try this one too, although the FeTi is rather high and i like to save it for my kamuro stars ^_^ Thanks for sharing pyrowinner!

Reconsider about Fe/Ti, Ferrotitanium is a mixing of iron and titanium with ratio 60/40, & as we know iron is a cheap.

So the ratio of formula is......

KNO3 29%

Charcoal. 34%

Fe. 15%

Ti. 10%

Sulphur. 6%

Dextrin. 6%

I never bought Ferrotitanium but use above formula & Screen the ingredients.

Edited by pyrowinner

Reconsider about Fe/Ti, Ferrotitanium is a mixing of iron and titanium with ratio 60/40, & as we know iron is a cheap.

So the ratio of formula is......

KNO3 29%

Charcoal. 34%

Fe. 15%

Ti. 10%

Sulphur. 6%

Dextrin. 6%

I never bought Ferrotitanium but use above formula & Screen the ingredients.

Ferrotitanium effects can never be achieved with simply mixing Fe and Ti. You should have also mentioned to use coated Fe and mesh size of metals (especially Fe) otherwise the composition would be impractical.

Ferrotitanium effects can never be achieved with simply mixing Fe and Ti. You should have also mentioned to use coated Fe and mesh size of metals (especially Fe) otherwise the composition would be impractical.

Obviously!!! My Fe & Ti are both 80 mesh size. First both metals mixed well & then screened together with nonmetal composition.oh yes pyro Fe is already coated.

Edited by pyrowinner

I edited the thread title to give the actual name of the formula.

Thanks Mumbles.

Next I’ll try for Japanese Kamuro stars from “The_Best_of_Afn_I_I” .from many days I postponed cause of its lengthy & accurate coating procedure.

Edited by pyrowinner

• 1 month later...

:) Nice kamuro effect.

Willow stars composition+18% to 25% Fe/Ti or only Ti= 'Nice kamuro ' with the Bright Streamer .

Use wet process with Willow stars composition for obtaining better result.

Edited by pyrowinner

Kamuro is the type of star/effect, Nishiki refers to the appearance of the break.

Nishiki was a hairstyle of medium length/shaggy so the stars should droop a bit before burning out

"Kamuro is a Japanese word meaning "Boys Haircut" which is what this shell looks like when fully exploded in the air. A dense burst of glittering silver or gold stars which leave a heavy glitter trail and are very shiny in the night's sky."

http://www.funtrivia.com/img/i/s_link.gifhttp://en.wikipedia....ireworks#Kamuro

Edited by pyrowinner

I have rolled this particular Hardt composition for NYE, but have not yet tested so far. Rolling such fuel rich comps is possible even with the western method, but is tedious. Thus I wondered if these stars could simply be pumped using a plate.

Does pumping such brocade willow comps have any significant drawbacks compared to (single color) *rolled* stars?

That's quite similar to Bleser Blond Streamer, but with much less oxidizer -

Blond Streamer

KNO3 45

Charcoal 29

Sulfur 6

FeTi 15

Dextrin 5

This is a beautiful streamer star but slow burning, with burning fallout reaching the ground more often than not. Reducing the oxidizer can only make that worse, so shoot this one high.

@AdmiralDonSnider

Irrespective of stars are pumped or rolled, necessary height should be given to shells. Because the burn rate of brocade willow comps is too slow. This might cause some glowing particles to fall on the ground.

My concern is whether pumped stars will burn less smoothly than round ones with these comps. I was told so.

good question, wouldn't pumped stars have more surface area and hence burn faster ?

I've only rolled this comp and loved it

• 2 years later...

How would this nishiki kamuro perform with replacing Ti for let's say Magnalium or Aluminium flake, would it still be a good effect and would it even work?

Let us know what happens. I would expect the effect to be pretty drastically different. Changing both the metal and dramatically altering the particle size could result in something with little resemblance to the original.

With a coarse aluminum or MgAl, you will probably get something in the same realm as the original. Going to a fine particle size, we shall see I suppose.

the effect seem to be cooler than the original, I was lucky the star still works because the star leaves a trail of small sparkles and then explodes into a glowing fiery star due to very high charcoal and fine al content i guess, totally unexpected effect. I am considering priming these stars with BP + Si, but that will make me wait another few days. should I just fire up a shell with plain BP Hulls without booster to try it out first?

It's not anything without a picture or video.... :)

the shell blew blind with no prime on it, have to wait a long time for these stars to dry now because everytime i prime them in the roller they seem to take even longer to dry than the star itself to dry after pumping, broken english

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...