APC Forum

Need help convincing my mom...

mrShrimp

Hi everyone! I plan on making a batch of fuel today, and I need to sift out some chemicals. Since I do not have the time to go to a store and buy a sifter, I suggested to my mom that I use the sifter that we use for powdered sugar, etc. However, she doesn't want to use it because she says even if we wash it multiple times with detergent, traces of poison will still remain. Can someone with knowledge about this please tell me whether or not this claim is true?

My stand is that even if small traces of chemical residue remain, I can't imagine it being any more dangerous than using hair products, or nail polish.

Hate to say it but you're mom is right. DO NOT use the same strainer that you use in the kitchen, if you are going to be doing pyro you need to have your own set of equipment. It's just not good practice using anything from the kitchen with pyro, unless you don't plan to ever use it again. Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Some of those situations... You could just make it disappear out of the kitchen. In reality there will still AP on it no matter what unless you have a dishwasher on steroids and industrial disinfectants/sanitizers. Probably best off just buying a strainer.

You can always use the old one in the kitchen, and then replace it with a nice shiny new one. I'm sure mom would like that assuming it wasn't her mom's and has sentimental value, and the new one is of equal quality.

Unfortunately, things aren't made as well as they were in the past so that might not be the case. Especially if you plan on going to Walmart.

Tear the window screen out, screen what you have to, hose it off and put it back on. She'll never know! 2ninja.gif

Mark

• 6 months later...
Bro, for the sake of your family and yourself, I wouldn't use the same strainer app use for cooking etc. even the samllest traces of chems can be harmful. I'd just convince her to buy another strainer. If not, go after skool or Sumtin without her knowing to buy one. Good luck.

Go to the dollar store and dig deep for a dollar.

You can find a lot of items at a dollar store to use in pyrotechnics.

You might also go to a garage sale and find some cheap items you can use.

Buy your own pyro tools. Also learn about the few incompatibilities especially around chlorate and chlorate. Use separate tools wherever necessary.