APC Forum

perchlorate free salutes

dave321

Interesting in many ways. The "coarsest" particles performed better than with German Black. Hm.

But I don't get that environment talk. Potassium perchlorate in flash turns to potassium chloride. Are there so many devices going blind that the water is contaminated by them or is this just another case of environmental hysteria?

yea, i guesss the military use more than the fireworks people,

they also have / had a program to remove perchlorate from flares etc., probably a tick box excercise to show they are doing something about it

interesting article though, perhaps more people should be aware of alternatives to the std 70/30 flash

dave

There is an environmental hoopla about perchlorates due to idiot bureaucrats, who need to have a hot button cause. Perchlorates have been shown to interfere with iodine uptake from the blood stream by the thyroid. Perchlorates are not bioaccumulative, nor are they metabolized, thus it must constantly be imbibed to have any real effect. The amount it takes to cause any real effect is actually quite high, and that level must be maintained. What can I say? People are idiots.
  • Like 1

Dave,

Thank You for posting the article, its always good to get quality Pyro research information.

Where did you find this article? I am always looking for new sources of Pyrotechnic information sources.

There is an environmental hoopla about perchlorates due to idiot bureaucrats, who need to have a hot button cause. Perchlorates have been shown to interfere with iodine uptake from the blood stream by the thyroid. Perchlorates are not bioaccumulative, nor are they metabolized, thus it must constantly be imbibed to have any real effect. The amount it takes to cause any real effect is actually quite high, and that level must be maintained. What can I say? People are idiots.

Yes, the worst thing is how this works: there is a dumbfuck lobby group among the voters, demanding a restriction or ban. Instead of finding out the scientific facts and argue against this lobby group, the ones in charge do as this lobby group wants just to keep their votes.

Several years ago i was expecting a total war against chemical sales to ordinary people. But instead it turned out the other way: in my place the ''tricky'' chems for pyro's like perc, dark aluminium, chlorates, name them... they are easier to get and cheaper then ever before in my life. Probably because there is no ''law'' that states you can't own those chemicals. We are fooled by TV and media, they make us think we are under constant surveillance. In practice, not true. Unless you are a real idiot, the cops don't have a clue unless they get a tip, or catch you on the spot by incident. Keep that in mind. Don't show off, don't ask for attention unless you're in a situation where it is allowed.

Dave,

Thank You for posting the article, its always good to get quality Pyro research information.

Where did you find this article? I am always looking for new sources of Pyrotechnic information sources.

not much help here,.....it was a random search on military pyro simulators

dave

Several years ago i was expecting a total war against chemical sales to ordinary people. But instead it turned out the other way: in my place the ''tricky'' chems for pyro's like perc, dark aluminium, chlorates, name them... they are easier to get and cheaper then ever before in my life. Probably because there is no ''law'' that states you can't own those chemicals. We are fooled by TV and media, they make us think we are under constant surveillance. In practice, not true. Unless you are a real idiot, the cops don't have a clue unless they get a tip, or catch you on the spot by incident. Keep that in mind. Don't show off, don't ask for attention unless you're in a situation where it is allowed.

It's the same here. *Touches wood* I hope it will stay that way too.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Hi All,

This is my first post here on APC.

I agree about all the Perchlorate bs, people have had the wool pulled over their eyes. The true facts are out there, you just have to look. D isney World did a water test in the fallout area a few years ago and the water showed no contamination from chems, interesting because they shoot just about every night. I have also heard of testing done at display sites and any trace Perchlorate was gone in a few days. SOme sites around the US do have contamination because of Perchlorate leaching into water supplies such as Rialto, CA. A lot of people do not realize that Perchlorate also forms naturally.

Steve

the original objective was to highlight the alternative to the usual 70:30 flash,

particularly comparing pot nitrate to strontium nitrate, and a nice bit of science,

all be it with the "perchlorate issues" from a contamination point of view

..........contamination from perchlorates does not really concern me

i'm surprised by the disney result actually, given the amount they throw up every night

still no contamination is good for everyone :)

dave

Most of the binary A/B "concussion mix" kits that you can buy from theater supply outlets are strontium nitrate and magnesium based.