APC Forum

what size pipe and what material

beastmode986

ok so if i want to make tubes to shoot shells out of what saize would they need to be ? i know there are many sixes but like would a 1 1/2in shell actually fit in 1/2 in pipe? and if so what material should i use so it dosent blow up ? would pvc work?

ok so if i want to make tubes to shoot shells out of what saize would they need to be ? i know there are many sixes but like would a 1 1/2in shell actually fit in 1/2 in pipe? and if so what material should i use so it dosent blow up ? would pvc work?

The best choices for material are usually HDPE, paper, or fiberglass. When it comes to shell sizes they are usually undersized a bit, I believe a 1.5" shell has an O.D of 1.36". So after a couple layers of pasting it will fit fine inside of a 1.5" tube.

what xtreme pryo said is good. also, NEVER USE PVC AS A MORTAR!!! this is for your own safety, pvc shatters and will send shrapnel everywhere if/when it blows up.

ok and what about abs? or just stick with fiberglass and others mentioned above? and pasting??? whats that?

When you assemble a shell its not just taped shut. You need to paste several layers of Kraft paper in usually a 3 strip pattern against the two poles of the shell. This is done in order to build pressure in the shell, to open in the air and create a beautiful round break. A three inch cardboard hemisphere is not three inches until the Kraft paper is pasted on a few mm thick. What are abs you are asking about?

What are abs you are asking about?

acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene.

Its That Black Pipe At The Big Box Home Stores. Good For Your Toilet, Not For Shells.

Stick To HDPE - High Density PolyEthylene Pipe. harder to find, but much safer.

ABS Is Just As Cheep And Dangerous As PVC.

could you not just put your pvc in a 5 gallon bucket and then fill the bucket with sand

just wandering though it might be a stupid idea

I use steel cause in Alberta we have anof steel pipe to make a pipe line to the moon lol

and it's thick plus they have to test it every few years so you know just how much presser it can take

remember this is just in IMO

bob

Edited by bob

ok thanks and i wasnt talking about homemade shells i meant store bought shells.i havent attempted making a shell yet

There is considerable force involved in launching shells from 2" and above. A PVC mortar in a bucket filled with sand won't be enough to contain the blast. Instead you will have bits of bucket and also the sand along with the PVC shards to contend with so this is not a good idea either. Store bought shells generally, at least in the USA, come with a launch tube, in fact I think they are required to come with one. Use that tube then discard it for the next group of shells. Of course if it is not a paper tube, these days they are coming with both fiberglass and HDPE tubes, you can save up your tubes and make a rack out of them if this is your goal.

Commercial shells, class C or 1.4 type fireworks,can be launched out of those tubes they come with quite safely. That size of tube is also readily available from many online sources and isn't very expensive at all so there really isn't any reason to try and make your own. Once you get into the Class B/1.3 type shells and have your license and are either buying or making these shells, it just isn't wise to make the tube when they are so easy to find and rather inexpensive as well. Even a 12 inch fiberglass mortar isn't so expensive that I would be looking to make one of my own. As for using HDPE for that size, I am not sure I could lift it since I need a two wheeler to move the fiberglass one I have now. :)

12" HDPE mortars are pretty heavy, not something I would want to carry around all day.

Using PVC is a bad idea, as has been mentioned. Placing proper mortars in a bucket full of sand works quite well. For large shells, it is preferred to bury them, but it is also common to support the mortar in a 55 gallon barrel full of sand.

For consumer kits, just use the tube with its base on a nice firm surface. They often tip over when placed on grass, it is best to brace them somehow. Sand buckets work, but make sure the base is sitting flush on the bottom of the bucket or supported by a brick. I have had mortar rip through the plastic base from the lift when they were not supported well.

In my opinion, it is not worth finding mortars for consumer shells smaller than 1.75". There are a number of good small shell kits out there, but the sizing is not consistant. They will all fit whatever mortars they come with, but they may not fit another mortar well.

Proper size, proper mortars in a bucket of san d are quite different than using improper mortars in the same bucket of sand. :)

Nate fires shows regularly and I would take his advice. It is the voice of experience. ;)

Proper size, proper mortars in a bucket of san d are quite different than using improper mortars in the same bucket of sand. :)

Nate fires shows regularly and I would take his advice. It is the voice of experience. ;)

Thanks Warthog. Proper mortars cannot be emphasized enough! I am told PVC does not show up on x-rays. I do not know if that is true, and I refuse to find out first hand.

PVC shows up just fine in X-rays. ;)

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Sections/CNBC_TV/CNBC_US/Shows/_Documentaries_Specials/American_Greed/Season_03/Episode_24/Slideshow/AG_bobysnatcher_Slide13.jpg

-dag

Looks like my hips. LOL Edited by warthog

DANG! You got the 'fake' body parts too? This is an X-ray from a cadaver that the funeral home switched out for hip balls and cups.

-dag

DANG! You got the 'fake' body parts too? This is an X-ray from a cadaver that the funeral home switched out for hip balls and cups.

-dag

My left shoulder will look that before I get too much further in life.

----

Well if PVC shows up, I still don't want pieces of it stuck in me. Use cardboard, fiberglass, or HDPE for those small shells.

yeah shells are dangerous i was at a friends and some kid thought it was funny to put a shell in upside down without warning and right next to me he lit it i want to lite mine about 5 ft ish from his and i heard MICAH MOVE! i looked over at his shell and boom shell blew up along with plastic from the base and the cardboard a peice of the plastic smacked me in the face and stars were burning me a little but i was fine but also pissed ....... so where can i find fiberglass tubes cheap???

yeah shells are dangerous i was at a friends and some kid thought it was funny to put a shell in upside down without warning and right next to me he lit it i want to lite mine about 5 ft ish from his and i heard MICAH MOVE! i looked over at his shell and boom shell blew up along with plastic from the base and the cardboard a peice of the plastic smacked me in the face and stars were burning me a little but i was fine but also pissed ....... so where can i find fiberglass tubes cheap???

Professional firework companies often sell them. ;)