APC Forum

Manganese dioxide

oldguy

It depends what you're doing of course. I've never found it particularly bad to work with. All the stuff I've ever made or purchased was a dense dark brown to black powder. It doesn't get airborne too easily. In the grand scheme of things it's not too toxic anyway. I'd imagine it'd be irritating if you inhaled too much. Like it's big brother permanganate, it also can stain your skin a bit but isn't nearly as bad as it is pretty much insoluble in water. This comes off with a little scrubbing. If you wear gloves and a dust mask or respirator you'll be fine.

The MSDS for water and table salt make them sound nasty too.

I actually went back and looked at several MSDS. They have very widely varying information. I've seen NFPA health ratings from 0 to 3, reactivity ratings from 0 to 2, and fire ratings from 0 to 2.

is that disperity between different MSDS sheets for the same chemical common? Does any of it have to do with the particle size?

is that disperity between different MSDS sheets for the same chemical common? Does any of it have to do with the particle size?

You would think there would be an MSDS central standards authority, but I believe every supplier gets to create their own, and probably many of them err on the side of caution in order to discourage law suits. After all, everything is "known to the state of California" to cause cancer and kill small children and kittens, so it would be foolhardy to sell anything that might end up in California with an MSDS that says "harmless". Unfortunately, rampant risk-inflation brings the whole MSDS system into disrepute.

Much more pleasant to work with than copper oxide. It does wash off with some effort and like Mumbles said it doesn't get easily airborn. One of my favorite thermite oxidizers. Edited by RogueSwimmer