APC Forum

electric thermite igniter

THEONE

Everybody know that a thermite igniter is much more efficient for the rocket ignition that the other traditional igniter, so i would like to try it.... but i have a problem...

I have successfully ignite an iron oxide/ al thermite with a sparkler but i can not ignite it with something else, i tried a steel wool and a straw igniter but it doesn't light, does anybody know how i can ignite it with electricity ?

Edited by THEONE

What type of rocket are you trying to ignite? If it's a composite propellant, ferric thermite is not normally used.

Kevin

It should be easier to ignite if you use dark flake aluminum. I haven't experimented much, but your best bet will probably be layering an electric igniter with bp, a hot prime, then thermite.
  • Like 1

You can use chlorate-sugar primer and then a sub-igniter made of Al or Mg + KNO3. You can also use dichromates instead of the nitrate. Use flake and/or filing in your Al or Mg.

You can ignite it without a subigniter by using Barium Peroxide but that is expensive.

I must be getting old - it slipped my mind I had developed an igniter for hard-to-light APCP that would also light ferric thermite. I tried it 3 or 4 times, according to my notes, but at the time it was merely a by-product of another project.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6938-simple-igniter-for-thermite/

High-power rocket folks sometimes use cupric thermite to light motors. It requires some caution, but will light a huge motor almost instantly, and requires only an electric match for ignition.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

And if you really have trouble, something I have done in the past to remotely light bonfires (to the amazement of onlookers.... hmmm.... get better onlookers) is to have your filament (I used steel wool) wrap around a match head. Sometimes this would ignite the thermite, sometimes not, but using a primary, secondary, tertiary system of match head, sparkler, thermite, was 100% reliable. It's probably not really helpful, but it may give you ideas. Also, 3 sparklers bound loosely together with leccy tape burn really fast. I first entered backyard rocketry with cardboard tubes stuffed with sparklers.

In fact...

Heh... more embarrassing to re-watch than I expected.

Edited by Nikko

• 8 months later...

I made a thermite igniter by using a 2" long drinking straw with a small piece of Mag. strip, road flare comp and hobby fuse in it. It works. You can use that with the electric igniter

I made a thermite igniter by using a 2" long drinking straw with a small piece of Mag. strip, road flare comp and hobby fuse in it. It works. You can use that with the electric igniter

I dont have access to buy Magnesium strip...

• 3 weeks later...

I put the mag strip for good measure, you don't need it. Road flare (strontium nitrate (Produces Bright Red color), potassium perchlorate or potassium nitrate (Oxidizer), and magnesium or aluminum powder (Fuel) )

Ignites at: 376 Degrees F

Burns at: 1400° F.) Then use or make an E-match

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

Dip nichrome wire into chlorate/sugar/ fine mag powder slurry, after dry dip into mag/sugar slurry and finally into just mag powder slurry. Very hot fire- handle with caution. This will work without the nichrome wire-- the mag will make the conduction but takes lots of battery power not like the e-match.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also trying to do this, can magnesium be made to burn with nichrome wire at all? I'm guessing not.

My first ematches (in the 1980's) used potassium nitrate and 100 mesh magnesium powder, bound with nitrocellulose lacquer. They worked great but had a short shelf life (in six month's time they were innert). The bridge wire was 40 gauge NiCr.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

• 1 month later...
How to build electric ignitor which can ignite a kno3 motor I Google d it but I didn't found much reference can anyone guild me

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m not very good with chemistry but I just read Richard’s thread and he ignited it brilliantly. It doesn’t lag and is quite safe and reliable. Are there any problems of power input to the igniter, it might be giving a sluggish response if enough power is not available to it. I’m planning to start my own project and just trying to get an idea. Could you please update us if it worked out for you?

Regards,
Sohaib J.

• 3 weeks later...
Try using the finest aluminium, I use Eckart aluminium which can ignite from just a spark

• 3 years later...

I have about 50 pounds of railroad thermite. I haven't been able to light it with a sparkler or Mag ribbon. Has anyone used this termite. I am thinking the AL is separated from the oxide. I just have not figured out how to mix it. My ball mill is not large enough to hold it. It is in 2 bags. Any ideas?

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I would like to be able to use this thermite. I can probably get more if I want it.

Edited by Pyro55

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...