APC Forum

Trebuchet's Anyone?

usapyro

I have a hankering to build another one of these sometime. I really want to build an optimized one with around a 500-700' range and hurl 1-3Lb projectiles. Even been playing with the software to calculate out the proper design. I use to build these when I was around 14. I had one that could hurl 1lb pieces of 1.5" iron rod around 250'. About 450#'s of counterweight. Very inefficient beast.

Anyone else here into Trebs?

This seems like the best forum for this thread.

Edited by usapyro

The idea has struck me. The Romans made them already 2000 years ago, and they were used in Medieval Europe. :)

I'd like to build one but it would have to be small scale. No bigger then a standard table top.

A small Fat (Falling Arm Treb) is quite easy to make, iirc the one in the shed is about 15" long x 8" wide x 20" high so it`ll sit on a table. You can`t use it indoors as it chucks golfballs a good 100ft with a few lbs of counterweight. I`ll see if i can dig it out and snap a pic. Edited by Col

I have a FAT that is 48" tall and has a 50# lead slab for the counterweight. The arm could be better but it throws well. We use it to throw apples at targets at Halloween. Painted the ugliest shade of blue you ever saw though...

-dag

a way of avoiding carrying heavy weights is to attach rockets to the platform to fire when you wish to launch the payload

a way of avoiding carrying heavy weights is to attach rockets to the platform to fire when you wish to launch the payload

Have you though through the implications before you posted that?

What happens once the arm reaches the end of its stroke? If you had instead though about a piston and sleeve, black powder powered, your'e idea would have had some merit but to suggest a Wiley Coyote, pull it out of your bum idea and then post it as if it were an actual thought out idea is foolish.

-dag

rocks are cheaper than rockets and they`re reusable :)

If you don`t want to carry weights around.. use it in a quarry (plenty of rocks around) or use it near a lake and use a counterweight box that can hold water..don`t forget to take a bucket :)

Edited by Col

I actually created a wooden bucket just for rocks. You have to make sure it can't swing into the sides or twist so it has to be custom built for the Treb. To boost the counterweight chains were used.

What happens once the arm reaches the end of its stroke? If you had instead though about a piston and sleeve, black powder powered, your'e idea would have had some merit

you just need to either put in an aqua deccalerator or regulate the size of the rockets

and mr coyote would probably attach the rockets to himself

Edited by madmandotcom

you just need to either put in an aqua deccalerator or regulate the size of the rockets

and mr coyote would probably attach the rockets to himself

Ahhhhhhhh, yes. Stick the whole thing in a lake. Question: Why would limiting the size of the rocket matter? Now, before answering, think about it all the way through and then answer.

Yes, Wiley E. Coyote would in fact attach them to himself, the result would, I am afraid, be the same as your idea but you are indeed not a cartoon.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Sounds very inefficient. A treb throwing arm should (ideally) stop abruptly just as the projectile leaves the sling, the idea is to transfer all the energy from the arm to the projectile at the point of release.

Tuning a normal treb can be tricky, a rocket treb would be a nightmare :)

the reason the size of the rockets has a part in the issue is because a 1 oz rocket will have a different burn time than that of a 1 lb rocket

also, you do not need a lake just a bucket

the reason the size of the rockets has a part in the issue is because a 1 oz rocket will have a different burn time than that of a 1 lb rocket

also, you do not need a lake just a bucket

Really? How so? Please defend your statement of a 1oz rocket having a different burn time as a #1 rocket. Thrust, yes but I have 10mm rocket that has exactly the same burn/delay/burst time as my #3 rockets.

A bucket? Again... Really? And how would that work?

Hypothetically, I could get my Unicorn to pull a rainbow tied to the swing-arm and launch a comet to Uranus....

Just saying.

-dag

i hope the comet is a boot...iful one.

dan.

Really? How so? Please defend your statement of a 1oz rocket having a different burn time as a #1 rocket. Thrust, yes but I have 10mm rocket that has exactly the same burn/delay/burst time as my #3 rockets.

A bucket? Again... Really? And how would that work?

Hypothetically, I could get my Unicorn to pull a rainbow tied to the swing-arm and launch a comet to Uranus....

Just saying.

-dag

do those two rockets use the same fuel, are they both the same type-ones not an end burner and the other a core burner- also the specifications of the rockets can also affect the burn time, as a short and fat one will flash through the fuel grain quicker than a long skinny one no matter what the weight

filling the bucket with water will cause the rocket to slow as the density of water is different from that of air

unicorns are mythical creatures and rainbows are purely light with no physical mass therefore your suggestion is impossible, you could however, hypothetically speaking, swap the rainbow with rope and the unicorn with a team of horses, if it was a big enough swing arm, it would be theoretically plausible

unicorns are mythical creatures and rainbows are purely light with no physical mass therefore your suggestion is impossible

Too easy, way too easy! Yes, mythical and impossible but no more a fairy-tail then the dribble about a rocket and a bucket of water.

-dag