APC Forum

Modified Arbor Press

nater

Several pyros have posted modifications to these cheap arbor presses from Harbor Freight. I was told to be careful pressing 1 lb devices on them, as you can use a cheater bar and get the force needed, but it starts to tear up the teeth on the ram. Although in a pinch, I think I will be okay. I primarily intend to press smaller devices with this anyway. I still need to make a shield and I will dress up the wood base a bit, but it is perfectly functional right now. I'm going to see if it is stable enough being bolted down just in the back, I might have to drill 2 more holes in the front of the press to support it better.

2011-12-11_15-25-10_941.jpg

One thing that works great on these is to weld a socket, or nut on the end of the shaft so you can use a torque wrench to get equal preasure in your pressings. Also, instead of drilling holes in the front, you can just clamp it down. Edited by pyrojunkie

I thought about ways to add a torque wrench and right now I think I'll stick to using a PtoF gauge. I don't have access to a welder anymore and my weld joints have a lot to be desired anyway. I could tap some threads and use a bolt and socket, but I'd have to buy the tools and learn how to use them. I also considered taking an angle grinder to the shaft so I can stick a socket on it, but I don't want to risk removing too much metal. I think for small devices, I'll be fine using feel or a gauge. Gerbs that bounce with each increment would be the telltale sign of inconsistent pressing so I can see how well I do.

Several pyros have posted modifications to these cheap arbor presses from Harbor Freight. I was told to be careful pressing 1 lb devices on them, as you can use a cheater bar and get the force needed, but it starts to tear up the teeth on the ram. Although in a pinch, I think I will be okay. I primarily intend to press smaller devices with this anyway. I still need to make a shield and I will dress up the wood base a bit, but it is perfectly functional right now. I'm going to see if it is stable enough being bolted down just in the back, I might have to drill 2 more holes in the front of the press to support it better.

2011-12-11_15-25-10_941.jpg

I like it!

Nater, aren't you also on Passfire? Kyle has a project file on how to put a torque wrench onto an arbor press in the archives there if so.

Nice looking press. I had intended to buy an arbor press myself but since I have a hydraulic press I eventually decided not to do so.

I dunno though, I still think there are a few things an arbor press does faster and better myself.

Merry Christmas Nater! Sounds like your wife is one of the good ones! :)

Edited by warthog

Thank you for the compliment about the press. I do subscribe to Passfire, in fact I got the idea to modify an arbor press this way from some of Ned's posts in a thread. I have seen Kyle's article in the archives about adding a torque wrench to it. His solution is the most simple and does not affect the normal operation of the press if you are willing to press left handed. Oddly even though I am left handed, I prefer to crank on a press with my right hand. I seriously considered following his instructions, and I still might. I don't have an appropriate sized torque wrench and I don't have a tap and die set. They are tools I could buy, but the main point for me of this press is keeping costs down, using mostly scrap, being portable, and being functional. At $45 for the press from Harbor Freight, too many modifications will quickly make it more expensive than making a press out of a bottle jack. I have a plan in mind and I'm slowly drawing up plans for a larger hydraulic press with a few more bells and whistles, but it will certainly be more costly. This will serve while I save up and buy parts for a better press bit by bit.

Yes, my wife is great! She is very supportive of my hobbies, pyro included. I give her the same treatment in return. We both need our diversions to keep us happy and we both respect that. She knows some of my hobbies are risky, one ski race turned into a bad day and left me off work for three months, yet she still supports me as long as I take reasonable precautions. I have it pretty good with her and wouldn't trade her for anything. (Before anyone asks, no sisters, no single cousins.)

I believe my arbor press was ambidexterous. As in one could remove the whole mechanism with the teeth, and insert it into the opposite side to allow both right handed and left handed pressing. Now, I'm not sure of the price on bi-directional torque wrenches, or at least one that goes in the opposite direction that is generally required.

• 4 weeks later...
Inspired by the photo, I made one of these today. I found it's necessary to bolt through the front to the bottom wood block, otherwise the whole assembly strains and bends upward when I put a decent amount of pressure on it.

Thats a good use of the press Nater. I am using a small press for punching time fuse. Power on both the up and down stroke as I drilled and tapped the ram and screwed the punch tool to it and added threaded rod to the bed so that the tool stays in one place while punching.

med_gallery_9798_35_6263.jpg

Anyone have another use for small arbor presses?

-dag

• 3 months later...
Inspired by the photo, I made one of these today. I found it's necessary to bolt through the front to the bottom wood block, otherwise the whole assembly strains and bends upward when I put a decent amount of pressure on it.

I think that was a good idea. My stand broke today.

It split between the first and second board, the lag bolts in the back pulled out, the glue separated, and part of the wood split as well. I had about 1100 PSI showing on a PtoF gauge with a 1 sq in piston. I think the lumber I had was pine, so hardwood may be necessary.

If someone wanted to use a similar design, it might be best to drill all the way through the stacked boards and use threaded rod to secure the arbor press. Fortunately, I have already planned a better press and hopefully I can get the steel drilled and a plate welded to my jack later this week. When my new press was complete, I was going to re-arrange the arbor press anyway to use with SBR and 1/2" insert tooling.

Edited by nater

Here is a photo of my modified 1 ton arbor that I made in a similar manner last summer:

post-939-0-44675900-1336358118_thumb.jpeg

The threaded rods run all the way through the stack of wood. The bottom board extends out about 2" in the back where I have 2 bolts to attach it to the work bench. The plywood shield has a brass hinge on the bottom so that it is easily opened and closed. I take special care to ensure no composition gets into the hinge. The shield is more for peace of mind than anything, but I figure it will slow at least a couple of the hose clamps should a motor blow while pressing.

WB

Are there bolts underneath the adjustable platform that we can't see? I like the look of that setup.

Are these all 1 ton arbor presses or what? HF has a number of different ratings on these arbor presses. I am sure that this is now something on my future want list. I am still keeping things small so the hydraulic press still works OK for me but it needs some welding and squaring up as it has not held up well to the use. I guess pressing rifle barrels is pretty low pressure compared to what a pyro press is doing most of the time. I used it thus for 20+ years and never had any trouble with it. Maybe all that use is the culprit too, hard to say.

What I am sure of though is getting an arbor press set up properly will be more cost effective than fixing up or building a new hydraulic press at this time. Until I get to the point I am wanting to press huge whistle rockets or any other really high pressure, larger item, an arbor press seems like just the ticket to me.

Warthog,

Mine is a 1 ton arbor press from Harbor Frieght. From talking to other pyros who use the same one, they will work great for 1/2" and smaller devices on a regular basis and may be faster than a hyrdaulic press. They will work for 3/4" devices on occassion, but it starts to stress the press too much before you get to ideal loading pressures.