APC Forum

Winokur's 40 Glitter Compositions

Mumbles

I like 20 and 26 the most I think. Number 39J never worked for me at all, it just was a coarse streamer without any glitter at all.

@Frank: Oh, ok, I see what he meant now. Yeah, with 40 to choose from, nearly everyone will have their own list of "favorites".

Did you use the 39J formula from this thread? It might be because it had an extra 5% BaCO3, which I have just now removed.

I got the formula from here, which is including 5% barium carbonate. I milled it for half an hour, excluding magnalium, aluminium and antimony trisulfide. From what I remember I pumped it with about 8% of water.

I must be blind.

Where is the "J" variant of #39 listed in this thread?

It's not labeled as such, but it's #40 here. The real number 40 exists, but is actually kind of rare to see for whatever reason. I couldn't find my copy of Pyrotechnica II when I went to look it up.

I know there are some glitter formulas that only work "raw," but I'm not sure that's always the case.

In fact, I mill most of my glitters briefly (an hour or less). It seems in my tests that the milling mostly effects the speed of the glitter and delay, and not whether or not it glitters. In some cases, milling would indeed speed up above the "glitter threshold" (making the delay effectively zero), or in some other way the milling may screw up the glitter chemistry. But I've milled win22, win39, and win19, and all of them glittered. Win19 WAS too fast to be effective, but it did glitter (also, my magnalium was likely too fine). The other two were of a desirable speed & glitter density. I think that any less milling and the stars would have suffered from fallout problems (which they already did to a small extent).

Also, winokur's method (if I recall correctly) was something along the lines of mortar & pestling it REALLY well...which may be equivelent to a short time in a ball mill.

It's not labeled as such, but it's #40 here. The real number 40 exists, but is actually kind of rare to see for whatever reason. I couldn't find my copy of Pyrotechnica II when I went to look it up.

I have a photocopied reprint from skylighter (which I also can't find at the moment). Numbers 20 and 40 are cut off from the page. I wonder if that's the reason...

Edited by flying fish

• 1 month later...
I don't think it really matters. I use crappy Skylighter airfloat, mainly 'cause I dont wanna waste my good homemade stuff on stars. My homemade stuff is for lift, and coating rice hulls.

I've also used skylighter's hardwood airfloat, with good results. Willow and pine work too. The effects may vary to some extent, but generally glitters will function regaurdless of the charcoal source, unless perhaps it is something really unusual...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

could anyone here tell me which of the winokur mixes or any other composition comes close to this kind of glitter effect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USzrkmeKdug...feature=channel

we had this wonderful huge roman candle last year and i want to reproduce the effect

btw this is my first post here, hello @ all!

ive been reading for several years in this great forum and always had my questions answered.. but in this case im just missing the time and energy to test out all the comps that fit by description.. or in other words im too lazy to answer this question myself :D :blush:

greetings, stoffel

Edited by stoffel

Holy crap!! That was loud!!!

To answer you Q'n:

That as far as I see is NOT a glitter. It looks a lot more like a brocade formula with some spherical Ti, perhaps a delay agent. My money is on brocade using Sphere Ti though, and a SUPER hard break!

I'm just taking a guess here...but I'm pretty sure thats not glitter. Maybe firefly Al or flitters...

Looks to me like a simple streamer comp was used with just an added percentage of coarse Al.

thanks for your suggestions.. i guess ill try some flitter comps then and see if i can get something like the desired effect by adding coarser metal.. the only spherical Ti i have is too fine i suppose, its only about 50micron, but i have granulate and flitter in 200-400micron.. lets see what that does

That as far as I see is NOT a glitter. It looks a lot more like a brocade formula with some spherical Ti, perhaps a delay agent. My money is on brocade using Sphere Ti though, and a SUPER hard break!

I mostly agree, though there is no reason that it needs to be spherical. I have made a similar effect using coarse sponge. The key word being coarse. I used 20-40 mesh, I think.

My formula was indeed a brocade type formula, indeed with a delay agent.

38% Charcoal

35% Potassium nitrate

13% Sulfur

6% Titanium

5% Binder

3% Sodium bicarbonate

As a binder I used Gum Arabic. if you also want to imitate that really hard burst, you will want to use it or another strong binder.

• 1 month later...

I've heard yes and no, but can I cut glitter formulas? #26 on the list being my subject.

I'm still waiting on my star plates from pianomiestro, only other way I thought I could quickly make 500g of glitter stars would be to hand roll the stars.?

Sure you can cut it. I always use boric acid soln, but it's not usually necessary. Something to keep in mind is that cut, pumped, and rolled glitters will all have different effects.

Could you explain as to why there would be different burning effects? Is a it a matter of different densities, and so burn speed is affected? Or is it more a matter of the amount of liquid used? PyroGuide (forgive me) says that excess water can ruin a glitter comp.

Thats interesting, I noticed that when I over-wet half a batch for pumping, the wetter stars burned faster.

In your experience,how do they differ? Just burn rates? Or does the effect completely differ from method to method.

Edit: Garr, you got to it before me[well kind of].

Edited by Ventsi