APC Forum

How do i make ammonium sulfide?

oldmanbeefjerky

hello,

I am trying to make ammonium sulfide for stink bombs. ive been trying for so long, i dont think ill even use them(one i make) more than once, i just really want to find out how.

I have read that combining H2S and Ammonium hydroxide, makes it, actually in alot of places, and logically it should, but it doesnt, instead it makes the hydrosulfide, which is useless.

But in this one place, ive heard if i combine sulfur and calcium oxide in water, boil it, let cool to dissolve all the calcium sulfide, then add ammonium sulfate so that calcium sulfate precipitates and ammonium sulfide.

But the problem with that is that calcium sulfide is not water soluble, plus under the described conditions, calcium polysulfide would form.

Does anyone know if the described method actually works?

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't H2S satisfy you enough? Synthesizing H2S is very simple and it's very smelly in very slight concentrations.

I do it this way:

ignition of:

2Al + 3S -> Al2S3

It burns slowly. I use bright Al. Let it cool and then:

Al2S3 + 6H2O -> 2Al(OH)3 + 3H2S

A spit will do it ;)

Edited by 50AE

actually, it doesnt distribute as well, due to the vapour densities ect. Also i find ammonium sulfide has more of a sour smell, probably from the ammonia.

Ammonium sulfide would fill a room 15x faster than hydrogen sulfide, for that reason, it takes less ammonium sulfide to do so, and under those conditions. Its just better is all.

Edited by oldmanbeefjerky