APC Forum

Fastest Bp

usapyro

I made my fastest BP recently, and I didn't use alcohol/red gum.

I used Water/SGRS for binder and accidentally used quite a bit of water, so much so that granulating through a screen was a pain in the neck. Stuff liked sticking back together, and it even got some tiny white fringes on the waxed cardboard in places from a tiny bit of KNO3 coming out as it was drying. But damn, it made the fastest BP I have ever seen. Stuff was outperforming my H3 in my potato cannon.

I don't much care for the whole Alcohol/Red Gum pulverone makes the fastest BP theory... Look at how much faster willow burns once you get the KNO3 soaked well into the charcoal. I figure that you can even make badly ballmilled BP as fast as well ballmilled bp as long as you use the right amount of water when making pulverone to get the KNO3 fully absorbed into the charcoal.

Edited by usapyro

I think granulating with red gum is an American thing. In Europe I think most people use dextrin, if they use any binder at all.

use boiling water next time, small improvements add up

My Paulownia BP (water,SGRS) beat Red Gum Balsa, beat everything in fact :)

want it even hotter?

Granulate with boiling water, dry, re-mill and start over :)

Edited by Algenco

Paulownia BP (water,SGRS) beat Red Gum Balsa, beat everything in fact :)

want it even hotter?

Yep, following the exact same method as making fast willow makes some FAST kick-ass bp... That is for sure.

use boiling water next time, small improvements add up

My Paulownia BP (water,SGRS) beat Red Gum Balsa, beat everything in fact :)

want it even hotter?

Do you press it or just push it through a sieve? I press mine without binder, just +5% water and alcohol, but it would be great to just granulate it. Pressing, drying, breaking up the pucks, sieving...shitty, time-consuming and not very funny.

How much SGRS? 2-3% I guess?

I've now switched to coating Rice Hulls, a lot less work and I feel it's hotter than granulated.

I use it for everything, lift and burst

While I like SGRS @3% CMC is even better

I've now switched to coating Rice Hulls, a lot less work and I feel it's hotter than granulated.

I use it for everything, lift and burst

While I like SGRS @3% CMC is even better

Very interesting. I think I have some CMC as well.

What ratio BP/rice hulls do you use?

How much of the shell weight do you have to use when using coated rice hulls?

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I use 5/1, never weighed break just pack the shell tight

For lift I treat it the same as granulated and use 8%

The thought about coated Rice hulls being hotter is due to uniform size/shape and more air space allowing faster flame propogation

I can make 25# of coated RH in the time it takes to granulate 5#, a lot easier on my arthritic joints too.