APC Forum

"Saxon" challenge

allrocketspsl

I am limited to shooting at official shoots so the testing is going to be very limited but I will give it a shot anyway ;)

-dag

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• allrocketspsl

• Col

• californiapyro

• warthog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry guys Im really busy making CTFC for the market will have to pass on the saxon challenge good luck to all Edited by allrocketspsl

I am limited to shooting at official shoots so the testing is going to be very limited but I will give it a shot anyway ;)

-dag

That`s the spirit :)

I`ve got 4 drivers pressed for the 8 direction changes. The colour pots are next on the list and then its onto the fusing..that`ll be fiddly but fun.

How big do you reckon i should make the vents? They shouldnt enlarge too much as i doubt they`ll run for more than 6 seconds each. The tubes are handrolled 3/4" id x 4.5" (5mm wall) with a central bulkhead in each.

Cheers dag,

I was initially thinking 1/8" but 3/16" might be a safer bet.

I think 1/4" may be a tad big considering there`s only 35mm of fuel grain for each direction change..it might run for 50 seconds if i`m really lucky ;)

Cheers dag,

I was initially thinking 1/8" but 3/16" might be a safer bet.

I think 1/4" may be a tad big considering there`s only 35mm of fuel grain for each direction change..it might run for 50 seconds if i`m really lucky ;)

saxon can cato if you shove the fuse deep inside the tube with powder,of course you pre drilled your holes then hand twist the powder out insert fuse 3mm max and I taped it down with aluminum foil tape no larger than 1/8 vent hole for long lasting saxons,I use to get from .9mm id by 6" long tubes handrolled 60/30/10 base comp 20 secs burn using 1/8 vent hole mate,cant wait to see them

Edited by allrocketspsl

Cheers mate,

i think i`ll hedge my bets and go for 4mm vents as i`ve used 75/15/10 rocket fuel. I did tone it down with 15% 40/80 mesh pine charcoal but it`ll still probably go like the clappers :)

I added a little Fe-Ti (70 mesh to dust) to half of the drivers just to break it up a bit. I have some surplus coloured gerb comps leftover from the other wheel, blue, green,red,yellow and purple.

Cheers mate,

i think i`ll hedge my bets and go for 4mm vents as i`ve used 75/15/10 rocket fuel. I did tone it down with 15% 40/80 mesh pine charcoal but it`ll still probably go like the clappers :)

I added a little Fe-Ti (70 mesh to dust) to half of the drivers just to break it up a bit. I have some surplus coloured gerb comps leftover from the other wheel, blue, green,red,yellow and purple.

ok better stand back mate somethin's going to blow look forward to the video

It took me almost 2 hours to fuse the beast, its not pretty but at least its done. I put it on the scales and it`s almost 700g. I bottled out of using 4mm vents and went for 5mm instead, so hopefully the 6 hour build wont end with a cato. ;)

All being well, It will have 8 direction changes and five colours, six if you count blue appearing twice..i`ll be lighting the visco on saturday (bonfire night)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/8stagesaxonprefire.jpg

Edited by Col

dont forget the camera!

cant wait to see this.

dan.

no worries there mate :)

It didn`t go according to plan but here`s the vid saxon

looked good anyway,they are more difficult than they look when it comes to 8 changes then with color even more complicated.I have all my stuff to make mine just cant find the damn time,your in first place I think since this is the only entry so far unless I missed one

cheers mate,

I plan to have another go if i can find the time.

The wheel would`ve worked ok if i`d made the inner fuel sections longer than the outer sections or split the clockwise/anticlockwise directions between the inner and outer drivers.

As it was, i used all the outers for clockwise and all the inners for anticlockwise. The result was the inners just didn`t have the duration or leverage (being much closer to the hub) to overcome the inertia and they only managed to stop the wheel in time for the next clockwise driver to kick in :lol:

Looking on the brightside i learned something from it and it may help others avoid the issue.

longer than a knife shorter than a sword were called "SAXONS" a preferrred weapon!

Incorrect, the weapon to which you refer was carried by the Saxons, this is true but the blade itself was called a SEAX.

I have a number of them actually. One of my favorite fixed blade knives. wink2.gif

I make Saxons but haven't in a while. Not sure I can do 8 direction changes with 4 different colors though. At least not now that it is getting cooler outside, which is where I work when making stuff, Maybe in the Spring...cool2.gif

Edited by warthog

I`m not waiting until spring..its ages away ;)

I knocked up a new support frame for the next attempt, the bearing got a bit scorched but its serviceable. I`ll be testing the burn duration of a single driver and all the colours for a better handle on the timing this time around.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/8driverwheel.jpg

Edited by Col

Nice frame, I want to make on like it so maybe this is what I will be doing until Spring. That is more of a wheel than a saxon though, at least the way I think of them.

I just don't work well in the cold and I work outdoors for now until I can get my pyro shed finished up. Once that gets done though, I will be year round too. I still need a good door for it, that is why it is still cool/cold in the shed. Maybe I should make that a priority. blush.gif

Edited by warthog

I`m not waiting until spring..its ages away ;)

I knocked up a new support frame for the next attempt, the bearing got a bit scorched but its serviceable. I`ll be testing the burn duration of a single driver and all the colours for a better handle on the timing this time around.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/8driverwheel.jpg

i made one similar to this last year wish I had the video,nice looking and it does make a difference on the design,going to be a test of patiscience fusing it,lol!cant wait to see it

Nice frame, I want to make on like it so maybe this is what I will be doing until Spring. That is more of a wheel than a saxon though, at least the way I think of them.

I just don't work well in the cold and I work outdoors for now until I can get my pyro shed finished up. Once that gets done though, I will be year round too. I still need a good door for it, that is why it is still cool/cold in the shed. Maybe I should make that a priority. blush.gif

A shed door is useful :) I don`t like working in my frigid garden shed in winter but luckily its unseasonally warm here for now..we had snow on the ground this time last year. A typical saxon is stacked end to end using a dowel but it could get a bit unweildly with 8 drivers even without the 3 colours.

I guess you could call this one a saxon wheel, technically they are still saxon drivers as the vents are on the side. 4 pairs of saxons stacked on a central pivot would be the same idea.. only a lot thicker from front to back ;)

I understand now, I guess I wasn't taking the way they were mounted into consideration. This would then make it more of a Saxon Driven wheel as far as I am concerned too. :) It would even be able to do double duty as a regular wheel! Nice stuff if you ask me.

I am working on the door. I need help putting it in is the issue. If I had the help the darn shed would have been done already. It sux when you go from power lifting strong to disabling pain in the back weak, makes you feel useless at time. It was an not at fault auto accident at work with a non-insured driver that ruined my back to boot. No big pay day for me, no sir! There wasn't anyone to sue to get it so I do as well as I can and work as fast as I am able and when I get help I say thank you. ;)

Edited by warthog

i made one similar to this last year wish I had the video,nice looking and it does make a difference on the design,going to be a test of patiscience fusing it,lol!cant wait to see it

I don`t think the fusing will be as fiddly this time with the independant drivers. I`ll put 4 on the front and 4 on the back to provide a bit more seperation otherwise i can see a driver doing a blowlamp impression on the one directly behind it ;) I`ll drill 3 more holes in the frame to route the matchpipe through to the other side but the other 4 pipes can be routed around the outside.

A bad back and a cold environment don`t mix, it`d be worth fitting some insulation after you get the door sorted. The 8 drivers will be attached to the frame like the spokes of a wheel (4 front and 4 back) but as you say it can also be used with standard wheel driver configuration. I`d use the big holes to route cable ties and file some notches in the edge of the frame to stop them sliding around. My hexagonal wheel frame can carry 2, 3 or 6 drivers and this new octagonal will do 2, 4 or 8.. lots of options from 2 frames. :)

I tested the burn duration of the colour comps earlier, i`ll test a driver tomorrow and could have it done by the weekend.

Edited by Col

I don`t think the fusing will be as fiddly this time with the independant drivers. I`ll put 4 on the front and 4 on the back to provide a bit more seperation otherwise i can see a driver doing a blowlamp impression on the one directly behind it ;) I`ll drill 3 more holes in the frame to route the matchpipe through to the other side but the other 4 pipes can be routed around the outside.

A bad back and a cold environment don`t mix, it`d be worth fitting some insulation after you get the door sorted. The 8 drivers will be attached to the frame like the spokes of a wheel (4 front and 4 back) but as you say it can also be used with standard wheel driver configuration. I`d use the big holes to route cable ties and file some notches in the edge of the frame to stop them sliding around. My hexagonal wheel frame can carry 2, 3 or 6 drivers and this new octagonal will do 2, 4 or 8.. lots of options from 2 frames. :)

I tested the burn duration of the colour comps earlier, i`ll test a driver tomorrow and could have it done by the weekend.

the one I made i did the color pots so they faced the audience showed much better color than facing them like the drivers and qm them so when drivers ignited they did to and tested them for the same burn as the driver so when two went out the other drivers and pots lit up,had 8 drivers 8 pots four colours,your getting me in the mood to make one if i see yours i will break out my wheel frames i have a hex as well,emeil me as soon as you lit it mate,good luck Jeff

Don`t wait on me..break out the wheel frame and get cracking ;)

I`ll be using front facing pots on this one as theres nowhere else they can go really. I plan to use 8 pots, one for each driver, alternating between glitter and colour so it should make the fusing easier.

Here`s my planned fusing layout, the black drivers are on the front of the frame and the white ones are on the back. The 3 black circles (holes) provide easy access from the rear drivers. The drivers extend a lot further out from the frame than shown in the picture :)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/saxonlayout.jpg

Edited by Col