APC Forum

"convention"al prime

californiapyro

Hi! i need a nice hot prime, about comparable to bp/silicone, im going to a convention and don't have a mill so i need a comp that doesnt require milling. anyone have favorites? id like to avoid toxic things. thanks!

-Cali

Edited by californiapyro

Thermite if you can get it to light :P lol. I am not sure of one.

Thermite if you can get it to light :P lol. I am not sure of one.

think ya need bp to light thermite :rolleyes: thanks though

Hi! i need a nice hot prime, about comparable to bp/silicone, im going to a convention and don't have a mill so i need a comp that doesnt require milling. anyone have favorites? id like to avoid toxic things. thanks!

-Cali

I am going to be using veline's superprime for some of my stars.

I have silicon if you want to use sifted BP ~+10% Si, I forget the exact comp but it's around pyroguide or this forum somewhere...

hmm wonder if screened bp would work... ive got silicon, thx though. ah so you want to pm me the quantities of which chems you want/need?

My hot prime: 20% black powder meal, 40% KNO3, 40% silicon, dextrin to taste. It doesn't need milling but the ingredients should be fine powders.

-Cali

dont ball mill the bp/ sil prime the whole idea is to have it in green mix to work best

There are people in both camps of if you should/need to mill BP primes. I typically mill for 20-30 minutes. This is mostly because my KNO3 was fairly granular. I've done it without milling many times, but milling it at least saves me some time screening.

I pre-mill all my nitrate and perc oxidizers to flour before I use them for anything, so my version of the prime above uses 20% ball milled BP, 40% ball milled KNO3 and 40% silicon out of the bag. I never tried making a green mix prime with crystalline KNO3. However, theoretically all you need is for the prime to take fire instantly from the burst - it doesn't have to burn very fast, and indeed it won't with all that silicon. I had 100% success with the silicon prime this year, reliably lighting the difficult barium nitrate stars that blew blind in the past, though looking at the videos, those stars don't actually start to burn until they're some distance from the center of the break.