APC Forum

Phenolic resin C48>H42>O7

oldguy

I have Nichrome wire, fresh out of Platinum this week. :P

Thank you, I will give it a try!

I've done this for decades with success. If using a propane torch, set it at a low idle but with a clear blue flame (no yellow tips). Nichrome works, but will give an "ion halo" if the flame is too hot or the wire gets too hot. Mumbles is spot on about cleaning the wire with distilled water or HCl, before and between tests.

Flame tests are quick and useful.

WSM B)

Flame test came back in between for the suspect benzoate. My known potassium benzoate flashed a reddish purple.

I was actually thinking about that this morning. Normally this is done for inorganic salts that just sort of vaporize or ionize. Benzoates have a non-negligible fuel content in them. Reddish sounds about right. Sodium should still be quite dramatically yellow though. It's always a possibility that you have potassium benzoate with a small but noticeable amount of sodium present. It wont take much to over power the weak potassium lavender color.

• 1 year later...

I have to admit I did not read the whole tread know...

Since there are different types of this stuff - which is the one I should be after?

Is the "Hydrophobic Novolac type" the "right stuff", or is there something better?

• 11 months later...

Hello I am new in the community forum, I personally use the phenolic resin to many colors in addition to being an excellent fuel component and binder also serves to laminate the stars I made some important experiments here pointing you to a never mix for the Color Purple by star rating cut and roll:

KClO4 gr 120

Sr(NO3)2 gr 110

PARLON gr 32

CuO gr 160

Mg/Al gr 130

Phenolic resin gr 170

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum .

I have found that phenolic resin is a great sub for Red gum .If it is not the cheap stuff or garbage some including myself have purchased in past Then it will serve well for most all color comps .including purple ( my favorite) . Im not sure what your describing as a laminate coating . Could you explain....

Has anyone tried the phenolic resin from fireworks cookbook?

http://fireworkscookbook.com/shop/

Just curious how it compares to ctpyros resin

https://ctpyro.com/content/phenolic-resin-5lbs

I know its a new supplier but i like the idea of being abke to buy it in one pound lots along with other pyro chems(save some shipping costs)