APC Forum

friction ringpull igniter composition

dave321

This has fascinated me for a bit. So, I just drilled a small hole thru an empty .22 case. Mixed ( no, I did not measure. but screwdriver tip amounts) of K chlorate, Antimony Tri (needle) and sulfur. Wrapper 22 Ga sandpapered copper wire around a .125 inch rod. placed the wire pull thru the .22 case and added the mix along with a few flecks of doublebased powder. Sat the coil down into the mix and added 2 drops of acetone and let it sit a couple hours.

It works. Sorry I do not have exact measures. It has little application for me, but I might just nail it down for grins.

============================================

I appreciate your reply also thanks for all you're testing
yea sounds good will need give a try
only prob we have here i only think i can get nitrate and i guess you can only use chlorate but i will check if i can find - somewhere else
i even printed own label feels real professional now lol
cheers

What happens when the ring is pulled? Does the coiled element deform as it is pulled through the brass tube?

I would not expect the pyrotechnic composition to be a conventional black powder formula.

another image

v1a.jpg

what is the black composition ? and is the wire "roughened" with sandpaper.

good to see some none red p compositions that work

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to buy this sort of thing? The original post said they were effective, reliable, and cheap but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to buy this sort of thing? The original post said they were effective, reliable, and cheap but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

i doubt if they are available on their own.

i am sure they are made in large quantities in china because they are routinely used on friction ring pull coloured smokes

I was curious and did some searching around. There are tutorials on YouTube about making pull ring igniters, or reusing military versions, by using percussion primers and a strike pin with spring assembly. They don't seem very complicated to make. However here in the U.S. it is very costly to acquire reloading supplies (if you find them at all). There were however several tutorials on making your own percussion primers (with out lead azide or similar), which use KCL03 and sulphur/antimony trisulfide. These could be reloaded into percussion caps for use in smokeless propellant ammunition, or in a homemade black powder primer cap for BP firearms. You could use the homemade percussion caps in place of commercial ones, to make the firing pin style igniters.

For "pull string" style igniters there were also a few tutorials using rudimentary supplies as a makeshift pull string igniter, none of them looked real reliable though.

If nothing else, it was certainly an interesting few hours for me, thanks.

As for a sensitive friction igniter, I read that you tried Chlorate / Antimony (I assume 1:1), but did not have good success.

For exploding targets (though this did not explode when struck with a BB or pellet, you could drop one on the floor and it would ignite) did you ever try adding fine mesh sponge or granular titanium? For an even more sensitive targets, I used crushed ferrocene sticks, and they reliably ignite from the smallest friction. I'd imagine that a copper wire would have no issues igniting the mixture of NC was used to solidify the comp around the wire once it was in the brass cup in the picture above.

**Extremely Friction Sensitive // Will Ignite Tiny Amounts from Stirring Gently with a wooden skewer**

As for a sensitive friction igniter, I read that you tried Chlorate / Antimony (I assume 1:1), but did not have good success.

**Extremely Friction Sensitive // Will Ignite Tiny Amounts from Stirring Gently with a wooden skewer**

to what composition are you refering? that stirring with a wooden skewer will ignite it ?

50/50 chlorate and sulfur when fine sponge/granular titanium, and/or ferrocene metal

*Edit* I learned this through first hand experience. So I was surprised to read you did not find to them friction sensitive by themselves.

Edited by cmjlab

50/50 chlorate and sulfur when fine sponge/granular titanium, and/or ferrocene metal...

Ferrocene is not a metal but an organic substance containing iron.

Are you thinking about something else or do you imply using ferrocene as a catalyst?

I'll re-state my question as it may not have been clear in my original post - did you try with any sort of Ti added to the comp or some other friction producing material, or just the potassium chlorate and sulfur/antimony trisulfide?