APC Forum

Mini Combustion W/Clear Chamber

NightHawkInLight

I've had this little cannon for probably around 5 years now, I finally made a video as I built a new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGj8xMDRSQ0

I've had a great time playing with them. I admit to being a little proud of making such simple use of a lighter body in the design, they go together in no time. Let me know what you think.

After playing with different aerosol fuels for years in mini cannons I finally discovered alcohol as a fuel. It's incredibly easy to over fuel with other gas or liquid combustibles, but alcohol seems to have a very large range of fuel/air mixtures at which it will ignite. Much more reliable than anything else I've found. I had to figure out something that had a good success rate before I could post a video, I think I got it down.

i cant believe no one has commented on this yet, great little cannon, well made tutorial as always.

ive made a couple of launchers big and small its suprising how much fun they can be to tinker with.

yeah accurate fueling can be tricky with aerosols because you never really know the ratio the propellant's are mixed at and the pressure/ volume changes thus does the delivery if you use the timing method[but lynx is pukka stuff], i found syringe metering with lpg gasses to be the most reliable method for mini combustions and never thought of doing it like that, makes more sense really to use fuel with greater combustion range in terms of practicality anyway.

i may have to put one together for old times sake now.

cotton buds/Q tips are the ammo of choice in our house :D ive been "killed" many a time.

dan.

Well I'll complement you here as well NHIL, as I said before, many apologies for the mix up.

That's pretty cool!

That's pretty cool! I used to make these little things out of an old pill bottle and an old airsoft gun barrel. Finding the fuel that worked well was hard, I found Axe to work well though. Nice job.

• 1 year later...

ive always wanted to make an all clear spudgun even firing regular white pvc lights up at night

Back wht the Spud Files forum was still SpudTech, they were selling clear pressure rated PVC. I'm sure asking on the forum would bring up a few sources.

• 8 months later...

Hello guys, I post this boring gun because I want to be normal member in this forums, but anyway, I think we underestimate coke bottle spudguns, so here's one. Can someone answer why the bottle looks like that after the shot, these bottles can take a lot more powerful shots and survive if the fuel is not with H2 component.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENBI1EC9XCM

This is combustion, yes? Your bottle has melted from the heat, the melting and vacuum created has deformed it like that.

Aluminium water bottles for camping have 3/4 female threads and make better makeshift chambers.

Pet bottles are good for air with a suprising pressure rating( no numbers ) I used to fire my pneumatic at 180 psi with a 500ml Mountain Dew bottle before I went all copper, never failed.

The big bottles handle less of course due to the preform being stretched so much.

Nice fun cannon.

Dan.

I really want to develop smokeless powder, are we allowed to discus such obvious firearms topics here?

Go for it! You know, Nitrocellulose has already been invented...