APC Forum

Red iron oxide instead of sulfur = slower BP?

donperry

ran out of sulfur so i decided to use Red iron oxide for the remainding 5 in the ratio.

DISAPPOINTED...thing is slower than smoke mix

that was my 3rd or 4th failure at making BP. Next, im going to use newspaper or handtowel to make charcoal. Seen some good video on youtube with them burning FAST

Should it come up again, you'd have been better off just using charcoal in it's place. Charcoal and sulfur are both fuels. Iron oxide and sulfur are not both fuels, and clearly not interchangeable in any uses.

that was my 3rd or 4th failure at making BP. Next, im going to use newspaper or handtowel to make charcoal. Seen some good video on youtube with them burning FAST

stop using youtube as a source of info I didnt even need to finish reading your sentence to know thats were you got the info from let me guess you also think/tried using sugar as a replacement for sulfur and you think that you can granulate meal using vodka and no "other binder" read the bp thread and do it properly

Ahm, no i did not get the idea from youtube.

secondly, what's wrong with you tonight? why are you so firery?

as i stated, my sulfur finished on me and i wanted to make up for it. I did not know i had so little sulphur

Geez. Plus, there is more than one way to do something and if you do not like that idea i'm sure not an innovative person.

I'm not here to do things your way. I'm here to learn and pick a way for myself from the knowledge i gathered.

and most of these materials are not available where i live. YOU did not know that did you?

Edited by donperry

Ahm, no i did not get the idea from youtube.

secondly, what's wrong with you tonight? why are you so firery?

as i stated, my sulfur finished on me and i wanted to make up for it. I did not know i had so little sulphur

geez. Plus, there is more than one way to do something and if you do not like that idea i'm sure not an innovative person

havent read that you ran out of sulfur but if you did buy more if you cant buy more make more (it can be easily done OTC). Im fiery because to many people make making bp sound like engineering a complex bridge designed to carry trucks out of spaghetti people have written 1000 times how to do it buy/make a proper mill use the well known ratio and your done. I know someone mentally retarded to the point that they are not leggaly allowed to drive or to sign anything yet they have managed to make good bp with out help

• Like 1

Ok, now that we have toned down...I want to let you know i get what you are saying but i'm exploring options. I posted this result here today so that someone else, a noob, doesn't make the same mistake that i did.
  • Like 1

Do you have a mill? Milling BP makes a HUGE difference in the performance.
  • Like 1

havent read that you ran out of sulfur but if you did buy more if you cant buy more make more (it can be easily done OTC). Im fiery because to many people make making bp sound like engineering a complex bridge designed to carry trucks out of spaghetti people have written 1000 times how to do it buy/make a proper mill use the well known ratio and your done. I know someone mentally retarded to the point that they are not leggaly allowed to drive or to sign anything yet they have managed to make good bp with out help

Well that doesn't make me feel any better about my crappy BP.

Thanks, buddy. :unsure:

:)

[/b]Well that doesn't make me feel any better about my crappy BP.

Thanks, buddy. :unsure:

:)

Im sorry , but Im sure youll get there you got a ball mill yet ?

hot BP is all about the charcoal.

If you use one of the more reactive charcoals a Harbor Freight rock tumbler will turn out blazing fast BP

HEY! Easy now, I prefer Neural A-typical if you dont mind. ;) (How did he know?!?)

Im sorry , but Im sure youll get there you got a ball mill yet ?

Ha ha! I'll get there soon. I read the Lloyd Sponenburgh book and know what needs to be done. It may be 2 weeks to 2 months but I will have an excellent mill. I figure great BP is the most important part of this hobby. It's foundation so to say. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ha ha! I'll get there soon. I read the Lloyd Sponenburgh book and know what needs to be done. It may be 2 weeks to 2 months but I will have an excellent mill. I figure great BP is the most important part of this hobby. It's foundation so to say. Correct me if I'm wrong.

good BP is THE foundation of pyrotechnics

making it inst hard use good charcoal put it in a mill and your good to go

good BP is THE foundation of pyrotechnics

making it inst hard use good charcoal put it in a mill and your good to go

Not only is it the Foundation of Pyro, but once you made good high quality BP it will give you confidence in your abilities to create and build.

Before long you'll be making quality shells that don't need a stick to get them in the air :whistle:

• Like 1

The situation is:

Ran out of sulfur but have potassium nitrate, charcoal and iron oxide :huh:.

One solution is:

79 potassium nitrate

20 charcoal

01 iron oxide

At least this is a starting point :). Try it and see if I'm right :D.

WSM B)

• Like 1

I've gathered some more sulfur. Actually reads "Flowers of Sulphur"

I hope its the same stuff it looks like it

I have ground and sieved <Screened> 200G of charcoal and some KNo3

I'd like to know if this is enough to make my first ever BP?

You should be fine, my first bag of sulfur was also sulfur flour and it worked fine for BP.

Sulfur flour is different than flowers of sulfur. Flowers of sulfur have been sublimed to purify them. It works fine, just keep it away from chlorates. Sublimed sulfur tends to be more acidic than other preparation methods.