APC Forum

Tutorial: How to make a 2" cylinder shell.

50AE

I wish I had 17 minutes right now to keep watching but I gotta get going pretty quick. I like what I see so far, and for once a good music choice! I'll give you some more feedback after I watch the whole thing.
  • Like 1

Great Video 50AE its very simple and easy to follow. it shows everything a Beginner would need and also a different approach to fusing the qm/bm down the side a very nice shell but i wish you would of dryed it and fired the finished product at the end of the video.I guess it might just be me but after i watched the whole video i was worked up to see it fly. i hope i will get skills like you sir it was a nicely made Canister. oh yeah at the top of your thread it says ball shell but your video has it right. thanks for the video it will help so many new people like myself out. LBK

Thanks for the video tutorial. I'm a beginner and most of the tutorials I've been able to find on shell making are all spherical shells. This helps me understand the construction of a cylinder shell better. I noticed you didn't spike the shell and understand your reasoning why but have you tried spiking any to see if it helps with performance?

That is definitely not a tongue fold BTW. That is the traditional(ish) pleating down of paper. I too would like to see the final product. There is no use in providing a tutorial without seeing how it preforms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The songs are from Rob Dougan instrumentals - I'm not driving anymore ; Born Yesterday ; Nothing at all.

not too sure about the use of a HOT, hot melt glue tip, so close to the blackmatch,

in the quickematch leader

dave

Holt melt glue temperature is not enough to ignite BP

It could be however, for chlorate comps with low melting temp fuels, as chlorate with lactose or sulfur.

• 1 year later...

50AE,

Thanks man.

That 2" shell was awesome.

I relly dig the blue stars!!!

The tracer up till explosion is sweet as well.

Well done.

R.D.

• 2 years later...

Very nice 50AE, do you make a 3" the same way?

• 11 months later...
This was a very nice tutorial. I am proud to say that I learned something from it.

• 2 months later...

In the video by pasting over the black match running down the side from the time fuse to the lift charge, does that make it perform like quick match?

I take it there is no need for its own tube around the black match? And the side of the shell won't be burnt thru prior to detonating?

That's standard construction for Italian-style shells. A line of piped match won't burn through a well-pasted shell. If it would, what effect do you think the lift charge would have on the integrity of the shell?

Oh... unless something has gone very, very wrong, shells don't "detonate", they burst or explode. Detonation is a very narrowly-defined condition of explosion where the combustion front progresses faster than the speed of sound in the material that is exploding. Although some have argued that large salutes detonate, shells ordinarily do not.

LLoyd

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer and setting my terminology straight. Lord knows I could use some pyrolinguistics 101 lessons.

If it did burn through wouldn't it screw up the burst by giving it a hole to explode out?

In order to burst don't the stars and burst charge need to be well contained?

I don't think the lift charge would do anything but it looked to me like if that match burned slow enough it could burn a line down the side of the shell. If it burned slow enough, hence my question...

Does it burn like quick match by pasting over it like he does in the video.

Just a question...feel free to correct all the things I said wrong alongside an answer/reply.

It's just not _going to burn through_. Yeah... it would be a problem if it did, but 1) black match burns SO fast, and 2) pasted paper is SO fireproof, that it's just not going to happen. Lift powder would be more likely to compromise the hull, and it never does (except when poorly pasted-in).

The match DOES "quickmatch" any time it's encased in a wrapping like that. So, it shoots down that length in mere hundredths of a second.

But even if it burnt only at 'open burn speed' it wouldn't compromize a well-pasted shell casing. Really.

I'm not 'correcting' you (except on the 'detonation' issue, earlier). This is stuff pyros have to learn and get comfortable with.

LLoyd