APC Forum

Newspaper Hemispheres

BJV

Hi 50AE,

Nice job. One thing that I do is pour the mold slightly fuller and

sand it smooth. Makes it much easier to cut the hemi off the mold.

I use a random orbital sander to do this. Below is a photo of my

6" hemi mold.

BJV

http://barry.dcwisp.net/hemi.jpg

Here's the 4" pasted. It seems a little deformed, this is due to the fact I accidently dropped the mold with the hemmi while it was wet, ripping it a little.

http://pyrobin.com/files/picture%20076.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've tried this using floor protection papper (kraft papper which weight 120g per m^2) however the papper is to thick and is hard to get smooth around the mold so I wonder if kraft papper with 40g per m^2 would work?

Anyway really nice guide !

• 7 months later...
sorry, i might have missed something, but how do you know how big to make the template? i was looking at using a tennis ball for the former for a 3 inch shell and making hemis with this method, but i dont know how big and what the dimensions of the flat paper cutouts should be.

• 2 months later...

I have to say I did not think they were going to be that good

and then I looked at the picture of the end product WOW!!! those are WAY better than the ones I make

great job

bob

That is a pretty sweet set up you both have going here. I read an article recently on how to make vacuform hemis from mulched kraft which also looks pretty nice to me but that one has a lot more set up and tooling to make involved that what you two are doing here. Both types of hemis, your newsprint and the mulched vacuform hemis, seem to lend to nicer breaks that are easier to achieve than store bought hemis.

I have a lot to think about as I look for my land....

Thanks Mike, I was looking up closer to Gary IN. Thought we could be neighbors. biggrin2.gif

Thanks Mike, I was looking up closer to Gary IN. Thought we could be neighbors. biggrin2.gif

That would be great, since Gary is only about half an hour North of me. A square city block can be had for next to nothing.

Edited by MikeB

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
For making the mold, is it ok to use paper hemi to make the mold for the resin? You know coat it with mold release, pour, and dissolve the paper out in a pool of water? I guess the challenge is keeping the resin from seeping through but I think that can be taken care of by dipping the whole hemi into wax...

You write about vacu form hemis, do you maybe have a tutorial for that or somewhere where it is explained (best with pictures)?

• 6 months later...

BJV, can you post the actual size pattern of the cut newspaper. I want to make some this way. Thanks for the post!

• 4 months later...

BJV was around several weeks ago, so he's still active. Hopefully after the 4th he'll see this and get a chance to fix the links.