APC Forum

Exploding Targets

geoffism

Greetings all, I am really curious to understand what effect AL mesh size has on AN/AL mix? Generally most call for 300 to 600 mesh, but I have seen plenty of references to use of mesh up to 4000.

• 10 months later...
Man honestly just use tins of brake fluid and granular chlorine rigged up in a coffee tin and make it so the chems mix when the tin is shot
  • Like 1

Don't use tin or any type of metal containers.

Chlorine may eat metal and could have early reaction.

You have a slow leak with container holding brake fluid or puncture loading.

Takes bit for the reaction to take place.

Produces a large cloud of caustic chlorine gas.

These are just some of the problems with using brake fluid and chlorine pellets.

You can make a hockey puck out of a 95/5 AN/AL target mix, unless someone is swinging a super sonic stick it's safe.

• Like 1

Doesn't have to be pressed or bound. (Remember AN is hygroscopic so presumably that would rule out water-based binder mixes.)

I put the mix in any disposable container that's handy, and I've even seen people just fold loose mix into a piece of paper and staple it to a target backer.

Do you make the puck using a binder, or by pressing it?

We talked about making pucks in another thread...Hmmm I proposed melting the AN and mixing in the AL. Was took ta school. Pressing..I know nothing.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9444-tannerite-sensitizer-content/?p=162555

If you put the mix in a Ziploc bag before putting it in the container, a bullet grazing and cracking the container will not spill the mix on the ground.

Cheap disposable containers that items from the deli come in work great.

I am fully aware that there is no NEED to make it in to a puck, I was just interested in how it was done.

Now that I read it again I think that August was talking about Hockey pucks as a way of describing the insensitivity, rather than actually describing a method of doing it.