APC Forum

Free Money! (Ok, free Aluminum, same thing)

TheSidewinder

Now that I have your attention.....

OK, it isn't exactly free MONEY, but for ten people in the USA, it WILL be Free Aluminum. Our apologies, but people not living in the "Lower 48" or Alaska cannot participate at this time. However, once the product is offered for sale to the general public, foreign orders MAY be accepted, and shipments will be made to Hawaii IF they can comply with any existing regulations for shipping such. Those living outside the US or in Hawaii may pay dearly for shipping, just so you know, but they'll make an effort to get it done according to any regulations in place for your country.

What kind of Aluminum, you ask? Well, I'll let this video speak for itself. View it, then continue below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kVM7TmZe0

(NOTE: It's available in 1080p, but you'll want to let it load ahead for a bit before playing.)

The owner of a new company, Star Molecule, found here: http://www.starmolecule.com

contacted our management and asked if we would solicit ten volunteers who would be willing to receive one pound of the Aluminum in that video, absolutely free, simply in exchange for giving their honest opinion about it, after they try it out. The grade of Aluminum being given away for this test is in the "couple of microns" range, the same as in the video. Their company is planning to carry up to ten grades of varying sizes and types, and Mumbles agreed to do an assay of the types they are now considering for sale. More details on that, from him, as he works on it. But they range from roughly 10-15 mesh down to a couple microns, and both "Dark" and "Bright" types.

Obviously, what's being given away here be will suitable for flash. And it should be pointed out that this is a VERY energetic Aluminum (in case that video didn't make it obvious), so the overall sensitivity of any comp using it may be increased. It is a Mil-spec Aluminum that was produced once before, and distributed by another company in the past, but for whatever reason that company didn't survive. Star Molecule's current owners intend to see that that doesn't happen again.

Those who volunteer will need to provide their name and shipping address, so the people we choose will need to be serious and "legal" hobbyists. We aren't requiring that you have a ATFE permit, but we will be picking from those who volunteer, only those who we feel are serious pyrotechnicians with the maturity and reliability to live up to their end of the agreement, and who have the means to produce more than a simple "flash test".

Making some flash is ONE thing we'd like you to do with it, of course, but any and all formulas that can use this should be tested. We'll leave it up to you to decide what to use it for, and in which formulas.

Star Molecule will be selling ONLY Aluminum, nothing else. No other products of any type.

As a result of that, and after meetings they had with both the ATF and CPSC, they do not need to worry about any of the onerous regulations and injunctions which other Pyro suppliers have to put up with. They were flat out told that neither agency had any interest in them, since ALL they sell is Aluminum. Therefore, no "two pounds per year" rule or anything like that. Purchasing Aluminum powder is NOT illegal in the Unites States, in any way shape or form.

Anticipated prices for a one pound order will be about the same as anyone else selling high-grade Aluminum of this type: $20.00 plus shipping. With each TWO pound order, you will receive a free T-shirt printed with this logo (this is not a mock-up, it's a finished product:

StarMoleculeTshirt.png

In that picture, you'll see an "electric-blue" container with a black screw-type lid. That's how it will be packaged. Star Molecule already has these made, and will have a variety of container sizes. So far, they anticipate 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100-pound container will be available, although the electric-blue ones are only up to the 25-pound size (I *think*). The larger containers will be a plastic of some type, but the materials used may be different to comply with shipping regulations and strength requirements. They may be something like a "carbuoy" type container, not sure yet.

Prices for bulk orders have yet to be determined, but Star molecule is determined to be competitive with other vendors of truly high-grade powders. This is not a cheap knock-off, blended with crap to get the price down to 6 or 7 dollars per pound in bulk. What you get in a one-pound order, will be the same as a 100-pound order. And if it's everything the video makes it out to be, I believe it will be a product that will be both popular and a top seller.

Those who wish to volunteer, please send me a PM with your full name, shipping address, reliable contact Email address, and a phone number at which you can be reached days or evenings (specify which).

Your phone number will be kept confidential to me and Mumbles only, if you prefer, and Star Molecule will be given the other info. You'll receive one pound in, I believe, that container shown on the T-shirt.

All YOU need to do is use it, and come back here to post your honest opinion.

Volunteers?

NOTE:

The first Aluminum in that video, "TH Dark" is mixed with a sensitizer (something-Trioxide, sorry don't remember now), and you'll note that it has to be lit in a couple places. Although it does combust fully, it's relatively slow.

The second is Star Molecule's product "MIL 100", and is Aluminum ONLY. No sensitizers or other chemicals were added. Lit in one place only, and...... well, decide for yourself, hmm?

NOTE:

The first Aluminum in that video, "TH Dark" is mixed with a sensitizer (something-Trioxide, sorry don't remember now), and you'll note that it has to be lit in a couple places. Although it does combust fully, it's relatively slow.

The second is Star Molecule's product "MIL 100", and is Aluminum ONLY. No sensitizers or other chemicals were added. Lit in one place only, and...... well, decide for yourself, hmm?

On their website it doesn't give much information about the Aluminum, only that it is U.S. Military explosive grade and is the best you can get. I would like to know the specs. Is it Spherical/flake, coated/uncoated, mesh/micron, or are they waiting for test results to add the information?

The description which best fits it might be "exploded popcorn" or "jagged 3-D flake". When Mumbles get his samples, I suspect he's going to take a look at this under a microscope (or he can consider this a suggestion to do so ;)) and then we'll know more.

Yes, it's a Mil-spec explosive grade Aluminum. I believe it's 2-3 micron.

I have a suspicion this is what's used in a number of their high-yield conventional HE munitions that call for Al as an ingredient.

And perhaps in some of their solid-fuel APCP rocket motors.

Looking forward to this for certain, quality is getting harder to find for sure- quality 'and' customer service is even more illusive. I'd be willing to give them a try.

If it is the same stuff the other company was selling before, I can guarantee that it is quite potent. I used a small amount of it.

If it is the same stuff the other company was selling before, I can guarantee that it is quite potent. I used a small amount of it.

It's got more kick this time, we promise :whistle:

WOW. That stuff is hot. If it was anything else I would be happy to test it and post a video, but the last thing I want is a few thousand more inexperienced people playing with hot flash. That said, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the results of testing and maybe playing with some myself. It looks like a great product.

I may be interested in testing other varieties of aluminum more suited to stars. Aluminum powder is a touchy thing for me to publicize.

On their website it doesn't give much information about the Aluminum, only that it is U.S. Military explosive grade and is the best you can get. I would like to know the specs. Is it Spherical/flake, coated/uncoated, mesh/micron, or are they waiting for test results to add the information?

We are awaiting a dual confirmation (or reports from two testing sources not affiliated with each other) so that we can receive the most accurate information on the product. We simply are not comfortable in releasing any information until we are certain that the stats we convey are spot on. To do so prematurely would be dishonest, and we are not wanting that type of reputation.

We are here for the long haul.

Edited by StarMolecule

I am so jonesing for one of the T-shirts though. Do you need to do more testing before I can get my lampblack stained hands on one?

We are awaiting a dual confirmation (or reports from two testing sources not affiliated with each other) so that we can receive the most accurate information on the product. We simply are not comfortable in releasing any information until we are certain that the stats we convey are spot on. To do so prematurely would be dishonest, and we are not wanting that type of reputation.

We are here for the long haul.

Thankyou for the quick response, looking forward to the results of the testing. Hopefully you can ship to me in Ontario Canada.

Thankyou for the quick response, looking forward to the results of the testing. Hopefully you can ship to me in Ontario Canada.

I have family there.

Thats great!! when I first read your status update that you bought 34,000 lbs of Al. and I didn't know who you were, I said to myself "Holy shit, is this guy going to the moon?"

Thats great!! when I first read your status update that you bought 34,000 lbs of Al. and I didn't know who you were, I said to myself "Holy shit, is this guy going to the moon?"

I guess that would appear odd. We're just setting up the logistics and flow pattern for the company, so that we have inventory in stock and no delays in shipping if possible. We are having to make choices about whether to maximize profit, or let some go and take care of the customers. We chose the customers, which is why we are doing custom inserts, t-shirts for 2+ pound orders, professional bottles, and many other attributes.

We're pretty excited about the powder, and building a stellar reputation in the process.

Will you be shipping to countries out side of the US ?

Ralph, we have someone checking on that (or fixing to start) to see logistically and legally what is required depending on the location (INCONUS / EXTCONUS).

Consider me a volunteer if you still need someone. I've got a few star formulas that I'd like to try this with.

Consider me a volunteer if you still need someone. I've got a few star formulas that I'd like to try this with.

Mark sure you check in with TheSideWinder and Mumbles, as the APC Staff are the ones in charge of the selection process.

Edited by StarMolecule

I hope you'll eventually provide Al aimed more at the star and glitter market than just the flash market (as an "in it for the pretty colors not the loud noise" kind of guy I didn't sign up for the free trial of the super-violently-burning Al, but I am always glad to see more suppliers starting up!)

I hope you'll eventually provide Al aimed more at the star and glitter market than just the flash market (as an "in it for the pretty colors not the loud noise" kind of guy I didn't sign up for the free trial of the super-violently-burning Al, but I am always glad to see more suppliers starting up!)

We agree Siegmund, that's why we have 10 total variants, and we are sending samples to the site owner for his personal test / eval. We want to carry a full line for a myriad of applications.

I need to make a reply in order to view attachment's and become a full member. I am currently constructing  any colored report composition's that I can find. They contain Magnesium as the fuel metal.  I have found only one instance of dark Al. in a colored report,  Visser green flash. I have only Indian Blackhead to work with currently. But hopefully I can try this Aluminum. I am taking video of each comp. Unfortunately the process is slow going since I research each report for safety. If any of you have ever tried to find any info on these report's you know any info is scarce. 

Star Molecule S3 Variant

I'm assuming the S stands for Spherical is that correct? Do you have a mesh size for that bright Al. yet?