APC Forum

Helpful application for sketching rocket tools

pudidotdk

Havn't been on here for a while, but just letting you know I'm not dead.

I have just finished a program that lets you sketch a custom set of tooling, useful for people who make their own tools.
You can even save a .jpg and share the picture on example pyrobin.

Old Link: http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/

Updated Link: http://www.ma.dk/rts

Downloadable Executable: http://ma.dk/rts/rockettoolsketcher.exe

Once you get going it's pretty self-explanatory.
I've put a lot of work hours and effort into it, so I hope you'll find it useful when making your rocket tools.

- Nic

post-967-1264316826_thumb.png

Edited by Mumbles
Updated URL
  • Like 1

WOAH! Pudi, that is wayy cool! :blink: :D

This is definitely getting bookmarked for future reference. Seriosly, thanks!

Definitely a must if you are going to make your own tools, or want to have someone make you some.

I'm not much of a programming/software person , but how long did this take?

And Mumbles, SW I personallythink we should put this somewhere where everyone can see it.

Good to see you around :D

Way nice program! And to think I've only been planning a few sets of rocket tooling for about a week now...Good timing

Glad you liked it :)

nice program!

is it online only?or we can download it?

Right now it's online only. I tried to make it downloadable, but the functions that saves the image would not work.

There are a couple of features that I tried with, that in the end turned out be be supported like s**t by Flash.

This includes downloading, printing and fullscreening.

That is awesome man, nice work. Do you have a downloadable version of this app by any chance?

That is very amazing! I cant believe how much work that must have been. I am actually going to school for machining and i have made a bunch of tooling and this will help a lot when i want to make something new. I usually would use a 3d modeling software to design some things and this takes all of the work out of it now, thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
1/2 the ID for the nozzle diameter seems way large for cored BP rockets. Is this an accepted standard?

1/2 the ID for the nozzle diameter seems way large for cored BP rockets. Is this an accepted standard?

According to the Master of rockets, yes it is the standard. The rest of us that flip convention the bird use other sizes for nozzles. I use a 3/8" nozzle on my 3# rockets (1" ID). I use fuse powder and add 20% charcoal whetted with 1% CMC and water, dried, screened through a 20 mesh screen and pressed to 5000# of force.

They fly just fine with the exception of two that we pressed dry this past weekend, the fractured and CATOd.

D

You would think that 5000lbs of force would be enough that it shouldn't crack the grain. I like your idea though, using a binder will certainly help it get solid. You think dextrin will work?

• 2 months later...

Dagabu, when you say fuse powder, are you talking standard meal ratios, and then add 20% charcoal. If so, can the 20% be coarse or will that affect the power too much.

If I were to add some coarse Ti, how would you adjust the mix. I've been looking at the rocket sketcher and have downloaded .jpg's of a few tools I will be building soon.

pudidotdk, thank you for the hard work you put into this, it is greatly appreciated!!

A little update for my last post here:

I use Jon Blackerts Fuse powder (116 sec) which is much slower burning then 75:15:10 mix and add 20% charcoal for a nice tail. I no longer use and dextrin, just a little water to keep the dust down.

The tooling I used on these is this. Its a Universal Tooling Hybrid set designed by Steve Laduke, the aforementioned master of rockets.

Gordon, remember, no metal in the mix until after the spindle. Two reasons: 1. the Ti will make gouges is your spindle and can lock on really tightly to the rammer. 2. You will twist the rammer to get it off the spindle, that will cause a lot of friction and a lot of heat and cause more damage to the tooling.

The solution: You take some of your mix and put it into a separate container, add 10% (by weight) of your favorite metal and use that on the increments above the spindle.

D

OK, thanks, I am always appreciative of the warnings too, you can't be too safe in this hobby and I will never take any warnings lightly.

After I posted this last night, I found a little bag of some magnesium turnings I had and made a small, very small fountain with some of the 10~14mesh mag and it was quite stunning. Just that little bit made my little fountain appear to have lots of bright white stars shooting out higher than the rest of the spray. I use an extra large nozzle whenever I test like this and I only used my weight to press them after pressing the nozzle with one step with my hydraulic press.

I will be careful with pressing any metals and be sure I am above the spindle, thanks.

• 2 months later...

I want to do 20 mm I.D rockets on sketcher tool, help me

Follow This Link

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the Necropost but I would really like to play with Pudi's rocket tooling sketcher.

The link seems to be broken :angry: and I'm wondering if anybody knows what's up with that or where else I might downlod it from.

Nope, the link is live. Try it again, I used E, Firefox and Chrome, all three worked even from work.