APC Forum

source of good clean PERC?

shagaKahn

Searched but only found an 8-month old hit on Agora.

American Pyro's got a sale going but it's that stuff with the TCP. OK if all I needed was to make salutes but for stars this stuff is bunk.

Thanx for the width,

s

That sale at Americanpyrosupply.com is actually over unfortunately. Edited by scarbelly

there is some nice (so i have be told cant actually get it because im not in the us) but here here is a place you can get some western electric stuff it is a little more expensive than american pyro supply but it is pure

That sale at Americanpyrosupply.com is actually over unfortunately.

According to my hit (email notification from AmericanPyroSupply) the sale's good through the 18th.

there is some nice (so i have be told cant actually get it because im not in the us) but here here is a place you can get some western electric stuff it is a little more expensive than american pyro supply but it is pure

Yep, Phil's is the best. Absolutely. Just trying to get a break on price. As observed, cheap price usually means cheap quality.

Just curious, what’s the problem with the Chinese stuff? I’ve never had any problem with it, and it cost 6 bucks a pound at scienceforyou.net. I think they sell domestic cab-o-sill as well. Let us know what you find.

According to my hit (email notification from AmericanPyroSupply) the sale's good through the 18th.

Yeah My bad... I just took another look. I guess the sale had stopped (after the initial sale) and then started again (within a few days ago), so I assumed it was just over. Well, you know what assuming does...

Does anti-cake kill color? If so which ones?

This whole good perc/bad perc thing came about when Eric Hunkins did some tests and found like 10% insolubles in some samples. This seems excessive to me. There is some concern that Tricalcium Phosphate (TCP) anti-cake would wash out delicate colors, or change the hue, due to the calcium spectrum.

I've had good luck with standard grade chinese perc. My colors, including blue and purple come out just fine.

The TCP adds an orange wavelength to any star comp--so if you're trying for the cooler end of the spectrum it screws it up.

Meantime searching here on AGORA I got a hit for this outfit:

http://www.pyrochemsrus.com/Oxidizers.html

Anyone ever dealt with them?

Prices pretty kool but the ordering protocol is email-driven and these guys don't respond. (Repeated queries for four days now and still no answer).

I got with Hobbychemicalsupply.com there prices are cheap, and the only problem i have, is nothing.

orderd 5lbs of perch with cab-o-sil ( orderd it a few mounths ago, figured that if i order 5lbs, i wont need to order for a while)

they do have good prices, and i spoke with one of the owners on the phone, and they seem like respectable, well mannored people.

Edited by Twotails

I got with Hobbychemicalsupply.com there prices are cheap, and the only problem i have, is nothing.

You must have cleaned them out 'cause they don't list any PERC at their site now.

But I do love their prices so I'm definitely saving that link.

Thanx,

s

I know the guy who runs pyrochemsrus. He's a good, standup guy,

Wonder why he's not answering his e-'s? Maybe he took off on a pyro vacation for Columbus Day...

• 3 weeks later...
GFS Chemicals has KClO4 for about $5.75 a pound, but you've got to buy 22 pounds (10 Kilos) or more at a time. If you use a LOT of Perch, it might pay to set up an account with them.