APC Forum

Rice starch and SGRS

AdmiralDonSnider

I am sick right now. I have the house to myself. I happen to read up on SGRS and found this posting. Now I really do not know much about making SGRS. In fact last night was the first time I heard of it.

So this is what I did. I mixed 1 cup of flour rice to 2 cups cold water. I strirred it and let it sit for about 30 min. Then on a low fire I cooked it slowly stirring it for about a good 20 mintues. Cooking it turned it into a paste. Then I lined a large pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture thin. I baked it at 335 f till it turned a golden brown and all of it was hard. After cooling I was able to grind it fine in a powered coffee grinder.

I wanted to test it to see what the iodine showed.

3 small white dishes. Dish to the left corn starch, middle SGRS? and to the right rice flour. 1/4 teaspoon of powder in each dish and 1 teaspoon of water. Then 2 drops of Providone Iodine solution in each dish. The corn starch turned purple and both sgrs and rice flour stayed a little tinted from the iodine solution. The SGRS turned into a glue like paste while the other 2 looked like a satured liquid.

What threw me for a loop is why the rice flour did not turn purple.It does seem you do have to cook/bake it to get the pasety qualitys of it. The SGRS? made 4 ounces of volume powdered.

Kind of hard to know if it will be good when I never made any stars yet but I am willing to try for my first time.attachicon.gifrice.jpg

It's been a long time since I made SGRS, but I recall cooking it (the rice flour) just till it started to clarify (par-boiled, I believe the term is). I then dried and powdered it similar to the way you described.

When I tested the paste with a drop of iodine tincture, it did turn a reddish-purple color.

If under cooked, the starch turns dark blue (indigo). The same color appears of it's overcooked to sugars. The desired state is in between and known as amylopectin, according to Dr. Shimizu.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I bound my stars with 3% sgrs, so with 1kg sgrs you can bind 33kg of stars.

And yes, there's a difference, sgrs dissolves in a jelly kind of substance in cold water, rice starch doesn't. It just sinks to the bottom.

I have reread the posting again and I missed this little tibit. The stuff I am making does turn into a jelly substance in cold water. The rice flour I have before being baked does not. Next time I will try browning the flour dry and then testing it with cold water. The rice flour is cheap. 79 cents a 16 ounce bag. If it does not work I can make a roux with it(just joking).

I just finish up making 2 cups of flour. A few tips if you want them. Use baking paper. It does make clean up easier. Pour it thin and pour 4 smaller puddles instead of one big puddle. It cooks even this way . When you think you are finish flip the puddles over. If you see soft white spots you need to bake longer. Leave the puddles up so the bottom can be expose to the hot air. When they turn golden brown break then up to see if cooked thru out.I use 2 large cookie sheets with 1 cup in each sheet. A electric coffee grinder makes quick work of baked product. I had one all ready not being used.

2 cups flour will give you about 8 volume ounces and about 5 weight ounces. It looks kind of like pork rinds before grinding but taste pretty bland. Next time I will add a little cajun seasoning to it when munching on the "rinds" . It does stick to the top of your teeth.

One more thing the rice flower I used brand name is Flying Horse. It is from Thailand.

Edited by passgas

I think you want sticky rice, not normal rice. They are slightly more expensive compared to normal rice. If you eat it you will know right away, as sticky rice is MUCH MORE STICKY compared to normal rice, having a cake like texture rather than your average rice texture... don't even try making fried rice out of it as it would turn into a sticky mess though there are fried glutinous rice recipes, they are often used in those rice buns eaten during Dragon Boat Festivals.

They are used for making mochi and other sticky treats... mochi flour isn't cooked so it will not work on its own but I managed to find cooked mochi flour in the past (that turns to jelly as soon as it hits water). That is what you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thai-Sticky-Rice-Sweet-Rice-5-Lbs-/222083521862?hash=item33b5359d46:g:ackAAOSwz2lXDIAY

this is what you want...

https://jet.com/product/detail/afaac746c86848a1bd123ebabceaec7c?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_jd_cons_gen_food_beverages_tobacco_a3_b1:food_items_cooking_baking_ingredients_flour_a3_other:na:PLA_648191734_39624872944_pla-223665358384:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

This is uncooked sticky rice flour. You could possibly mix up your pyro comp, and steam it to set it. I do not know how safe it is to do so. If you had to order it you could just buy SGRS on ebay anyways. It is unlikely to find it locally however if you are outside of China or Japan... If you are, they are called "cake flour" or something of the nature.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

The rice flour I have says "Glutinous Rice Flour" and it is a product of Thailand. Not the same brand as posted above but it is almost worded and packaging is about the same. Dirt cheap at 79 cents for a pound.

• 6 years later...
What would you use it for? I've used wheat flour to bind stars and paste shells (boiled it first though to "activate" any adhesive properties . I've tried tapioca starch for binding stars and B.P. and that worked well too. If your referring to making homemade SGRS, I've not tried that though. Let us know how it works if you try it. I've never seen that in store either, cool find, good luck! Edited by cmjlab