APC Forum

Rice starch and SGRS

AdmiralDonSnider

Several people have said the bought "Rice starch" at Asian markets and it was the same, wish I had one close.

Try a small batch of charcoal stars and see how it works

I have a 1# bag for you Al, I will send it on the nose of that 6# nozzless I'm making with some charcoal thats coming soon ;)

-dag

I have a 1# bag for you Al, I will send it on the nose of that 6# nozzless I'm making with some charcoal thats coming soon ;)

-dag

don't overshoot me :)

What else you need old man? Gotta send a care package from the cold north to you sometime soon anyway.

-dag

What else you need old man? Gotta send a care package from the cold north to you sometime soon anyway.

-dag

Well, as you'll soon learn "old men" have tooling problems :whistle:

New ones would be nice

Pretty well stocked atm, what do you need?

Our buddy still hasn't ordered the NC :angry:

Edited by Algenco

I was just going to ask about that, gonna run out of NC pretty soon and would be good to have that ready to go...

I may just order a couple pounds from Firefox in the mean time.

I feel your pain, I jammed my tooling once... ;)

-dag

• 9 months later...

1,000 apologies for the thread necromancy, but I didnt want to start another post since this one was already here and it would be just more topics for other no0bies to have to sift through...so imma post it here if thats ok?

Ive tried SEVERAL methods and several different types of rice starch and rice powders.

I have tried "Glutinous Rice Flour"...whetted it into a ball and steamed for an hour (about 1/2 pound of it, and it was EXTREMELY STICKY!!) and then spread thin on parchment paper ( best stuff for non sticking!) and cooked at 200 degrees Fahrenheit until dry. Tested with iodine tinature..and fail...turned blue / black. Cranked up the heat to 400 at that point and tested at several different times and even when it was golden brown and at a dark caramel color...still..fail. ..but with the color being akin to a slight pinkish red tint but still actually very violet / blue. Also I noted that the mass after drying it in my oven ..and at different time / color intervals .....powering via coffee grinder...it was still water insoluble! Either by cold water or hot tap water...it simply refused to become water soluble no matter how much i stired it..it just settled to the bottom of the test tube :( Is this normal?

Also another product that I tested ( rice starch..non glutinous...couldn't find any glutinous rice starch at all 15 Asian stores I went to) i tried 1 different method of preparing....

I heated the rice starch in a 3:1 water to rice starch ratio to try to force it to release any possible glutinous property it may have had in it till it went opaque and made a very thick "paste"...akin to liquid taffy. Placed that thinly in the oven and cooked at 200 degrees Fahrenheit till dry..powdered and idioned it....and again fail...same color with iodine tincture. I again cranked up the heat to 300...took another sample after 20 minute or so and a different color of the cooking rice was achieved...and again a tincture fail. More time and more heat applied..golden brown color...again a failed tincture color. At this point I quit my testing.

Next I have 5 pounds of "Glutinous Rice" that I plan on trying to make SRGS from...issue is....I have TAKEO SHIMIZU's book "FIREWORKS The Art Science and Technique" and it doesnt state weather to use the liquid from the rice ( let it dry into a powder) or to actually use the WHOLE steamed rice and all and pound it. Any clue there? I know rice is about 70-85%% pure starch, ( varying from brand to brand) but seems odd to use 15-30% filler in making pure SGRS. Wouldn't using the whole rice slow down the burn rate considerably? Odd.....enlightenment is most welcomed. :)

He states that his is water soluble, however, at the rate of all my failed attempts to successfully make SGRS..I must admit that I'm skeptical now and am suffering from "stage fright" :P

Edited by Xploitz

• 2 months later...

Have you tried just using that glutinous rice flour by itself (without doing anything else to it)? The glutinous rice flour may already be cooked meaning it can be used as SGRS. I got some and it has a slight carmel color (still white though) and smells ricey. When wetted it becomes glue like. If you cook that you'll just overcook it and it won't work.

I don't have any commercial SGRS to compare against. Someone offered to give me some to try out but the shipping was a little high (around 5 or 6 dollars), at the price I went and got 2 pounds of this cooked glutinous rice flour and I think it is the same stuff.

Compared to dextrin the stuff is much more sticky.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Isn't there a merge function on this board? There are at least two more threads about SGRS, one started by myself.

I haven't had success with SGRS when rolling by hand, but making a putty of the composition and pumping gives very, very hard stars.

There is a merge function, but this thread was about 2 years old and buried in the archives. That's not to say that I mind bring posts back up at all, in fact I'd prefer to to starting new threads.

I'm kind of surprised I missed this when it resurfaced back in August. Just in case Xploitz is around. Starch has a blue/purple iodine reaction. However dextrins also have a reaction to iodine, that I think you were possibly getting. They turn kind of red. It can be tough at times to tell them apart. I wouldn't even worry about getting 100% of the starch converted, just make a product that works. Getting some authentic SGRS might give something to compare against for properties.

I found this thread in google, so it and other threads may get resurrected if someone has something to add (especially if its not easily resolved).

I don't know what iodine looking red looks like, since iodine is already on the red side to begin with, at least when its povidone iodine. I don't see why should SGRS not result in a starch reaction in any case because they all contain starch even if the sticky bit isn't starch, after all if the glutinous rice is cooked then mashed, it would still contain the starch. In any case the stuff I got is much stickier compared to dextrin.

Rice is our main food so we have always plenty of rice at our home and I do successfully make sgrs from rice .I don’t do any iodine test and just wait for full parching at 170-2000C. Here is my homemade sgrs.

post-13982-0-99925000-1352272420_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Rice is our main food so we have always plenty of rice at our home and I do successfully make sgrs from rice .I don’t do any iodine test and just wait for full parching at 170-2000C. Here is my homemade sgrs.

attachicon.gifSGRS.JPG

what you do to making sgrs from rice? please share in details.

There are directions are given in Fireworks: The Art, Science, and Technique by Dr. Takeo Shimizu.

My process is little bit different than Shimizu's directions in FAST.

I soak glutinous rice in cold water for about 24 hours. Then I drain the excess water from the rice and grind it for a few minutes when the rice is still damp to make a powder with my kitchen mixture-grinder. I mix some water (excess water makes it thin) with that powder and boil it while kneading all the time to make it a thick sticky paste. Now I stretch the paste on a thin Al sheet and parch it in an oven at 170-2000C or in bright sun during summer days. Then I grind the parched mass into a fine powder with my grinder and sieve it with a 150 mesh screen. It is a bit hard to grind so takes time.

hi bengalflair, thank you for information. what is glutinous rice?(is it atap chal in bengal ???)

Edited by debubisu

Usually some opaque and short-grain varieties of Asian rice are glutinous and that is especially sticky when cooked. Glutinous rice is distinguished from other types of rice by having no (or negligible amounts of) amylose, and high amounts of amylopectin.

Local ‘atap-chal’ in Bengal is not actually glutinous rice but I have tried with newly processed short-grain ‘atap-chal’ and it works fine for me.

• 9 months later...

I am sick right now. I have the house to myself. I happen to read up on SGRS and found this posting. Now I really do not know much about making SGRS. In fact last night was the first time I heard of it.

So this is what I did. I mixed 1 cup of flour rice to 2 cups cold water. I strirred it and let it sit for about 30 min. Then on a low fire I cooked it slowly stirring it for about a good 20 mintues. Cooking it turned it into a paste. Then I lined a large pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture thin. I baked it at 335 f till it turned a golden brown and all of it was hard. After cooling I was able to grind it fine in a powered coffee grinder.

I wanted to test it to see what the iodine showed.

3 small white dishes. Dish to the left corn starch, middle SGRS? and to the right rice flour. 1/4 teaspoon of powder in each dish and 1 teaspoon of water. Then 2 drops of Providone Iodine solution in each dish. The corn starch turned purple and both sgrs and rice flour stayed a little tinted from the iodine solution. The SGRS turned into a glue like paste while the other 2 looked like a satured liquid.

What threw me for a loop is why the rice flour did not turn purple.It does seem you do have to cook/bake it to get the pasety qualitys of it. The SGRS? made 4 ounces of volume powdered.

Kind of hard to know if it will be good when I never made any stars yet but I am willing to try for my first time.post-20989-0-14379400-1488915020_thumb.jpg