APC Forum

My 30mm Cake

Coil

Hello, this is my 30mm 59 shot cake:

That looked like a blast to build! Quite a nice cake there, it looked great. Good job on the timing as well.

This is quite a remarkable achievement, mainly because good break symmetry is hard to obtain in case of fast burning tailed stars.

In this case you have to make the stars larger to account for their burn speed and thus there are less of them. I would really like to hear how Coil solves this issue.

damn that was cool! How long did it take to complete it? And how much chem's did you use(like BP, tigertail and glitter stars)? Thanks

Can I ask you what size the stars were?

I am a Win 23 man myself!

And what type of aluminum did you use for the burst, my Nitrate flash is slower than a deflagarating snail!

Edited by Ventsi

Can I ask you what size the stars were?

I am a Win 23 man myself!

And what type of aluminum did you use for the burst, my Nitrate flash is slower than a deflagarating snail!

Try:

Nitrate:50

Sulfur:30

Al:20

I use dark Indian, I believe 8 micron. Works exceptionally well as a booster. I don't think I'd ever consider another if there were no incompatibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, I used simple paint Al powder for flash it is slow and not powerful, but with good plugs it works. My stars was 6mm in diameter and i used about 300g of TT and 300g of Win23 stars. In one bommbete i use 4g of slow flash an its works good.

Sorry for my English.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved the first cake (cant view the second one till im on the other computer) it inspired me to make one of my own, many times smaller. I ended up making a 20 shot cake, and the funny thing was, it was only 6in, by 4in, tubes 2in high, roughly the ID of a pencil. I dident record it, but all it did was launch stars, with the final tube being a salute. Yours was magnificant, mine was just a test, becouse i like to work with mini fireworks. Im woring on a 1/2 in shell right now, took a break to comment, and to let the shell halfs dry.

Again, I liked your cake, and hope to see more somtime.

Question: When you put the paper on top of you cakes dosn't that slow the shell down? Because when the shell shoots out of the tube the paper holds in presure above the shell, (the shell working like a piston) and that would push the shell back down. i know it dosn't make a huge diffrence but for the sake of inproved preformence wouldn't you not want the paper on top?

The paper offers no resistance. I've seen 3" shells go through plywood and still make it up to an appropriate height.

You might want to work on other means of burst. The flash is very distracting in that cake.

Still curious about the long burning time for 6mm tiger tail stars...

What kind of charcoal do you use?

How do you mix the comp?

What kind of stars (rolled etc.) do you use?

Thanks!

I use grill charcoal from gas station. I mill star mix in ball mill for 2 hours and i use rolled stars.

Wait, Cowboy charcoal right? When i see gas station, i think of them selling briquetts(such a nasty thing to cook with anyway)

Those nasty briquettes make a nice tail from all the garbage slowing it down. I wouldn't recommend using it for all the charcoal, but it can have a use. A guy I know makes the most beautiful TT I've ever seen, and uses 6 parts BBQ briquettes in the mix.

Hmm, Think it has anything to do with the added chemicals? A briquette is basicly, charcoal, clay, and some sort of started(if he's useing easy-to-light). I might try that in the next fountin i make, Any idea on what mesh he uses? maby 80?

Airfloat. It's a milled composition, thus the charcoal gets milled too. I'd say it's safe to say one would deserve a backhand if using the match light or easy light stuff. Just get the generic bottom of the barrel briquettes. The match light always makes my food taste odd anyway.

• 1 year later...
Looks good. You may want to reconsider your color and effect choices. The red rising color and titanium or Al whatever else is in the break greatly over powers the more delicate charcoal streamer/brocade. I'm sure it looked better in person though. The video camera seems to get saturated on the much brighter colors, often greatly obscuring the finer effect.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the advice Mumbles. In my new cake, I tried to combine effects better. I think it looks much better this way.

I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Sorry for bad English.

Coil