APC Forum

How to make Dextrin

PyroMan16

I know there is a couple other threads on this but they did not have any info on making it. How do I make Dextrin using corn starch and a oven. Thanks

Liquid laundry starch works just as well if not better for all applications where a wet binder is acceptable. In cut or pumped stars for example.

Liquid laundry starch works just as well if not better for all applications where a wet binder is acceptable. In cut or pumped stars for example.

You know Ive been wondering about that. Now i think i know what i'll be using when the dextrin runs out. :lol:

Doesn't matter if there isn't a thread on specifically making dextrin in an oven. There are threads on dextrin around here, just post there.

The PH is 11.8 for liquid starch, PH is 7.0 for Dextrin. The acid can make for accelerated breakdown of components sensitive to acids and can have a significant effect on colors making them looked washed out or even change in the case of yellow.

Go slow and do a sample of your favorite stars and stay away from metals, they can corrode and go exothermic.

Dextrin:

1 box of corn starch, one household oven, one tolerant spouse (or GF), set the oven to 400° F, place starch in a 9x11" cake pan, stir every 15 minutes, watch for burning, when it turns the color of a manila folder, remover from heat, let cool and store in a cool dry location.

TA-DA!!

• 4 weeks later...
The PH is 11.8 for liquid starch, PH is 7.0 for Dextrin. The acid can make for accelerated breakdown of components sensitive to acids and can have a significant effect on colors making them looked washed out or even change in the case of yellow.

TA-DA!!

As neither of the ph's quoted is in the "acid" range I'm assuming you mean "alkaline" and you're referring to the liquid starch?

Please why not just buy it ? Its even cheap and u last long with 1 kg ! If it not works good just buy some ?

I'd say make it, "because we can!" Folks who want to learn how something is done are sometimes driven to experiment on the process and derive more pleasure from the pursuit, than the acquisition of the material. Those who choose to make chlorate from salt solutions when they can just call up and order some, come to mind; or those who turn scrap magnesium and aluminum into a magnalium ingot with a charcoal chimney instead of buying it. Many feel a great sense of accomplishment and of feeling self sufficient in a world seeming bent on denying us access to anything high energy, through such pursuits. Anyone can buy stuff, but who can make it?! That is the question.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Old thread but thought I would add this... Just checked the professional grade *faultless* laundry starch I got from walmart with a PH pen and it registered 6.7 which is actually slightly acidic. I didn't test the dextrin because I didnt have any neutral water to add to it but I would guess it is about neutral as stated above. Anyway, I wouldn't take that to the bank because I'm sure some manufacturers might ph balance their product although it does make sense to have a close to neutral starch so it doesn't *set* a stain into someones shirt.

The walmart starch makes excellant black match, at least it has for me.

6.7 is so mildly acidic it's almost not worth noting. Distilled water that has been open for a few days is probably more acidic than that due to dissolved CO2.

• 4 years later...

Hi there,

I was wondering If you could help me, i'm trying to make liquid dextrin, but i maybe i have not Made it the right , i''m using corn starch And the enzime, then i neutralize it with sulfúric ácid, the mix was heated to 93 *C during 30 min

Could you please Share with me another fórmula that i could use? I'm trying to get 35% solids, And i would use the dextrin as an adhesive to glue litholaminated bóxes

Thank you for any help you could give me, i appreciate it

Thanks a lot

Best regards