APC Forum

Crosette Tooling

FrankRizzo

Would anyone happen to know the dimensions of 1/2" and 3/4" crossettes? I'm interested in shot hole dimensions and overall length.

1-1/4" (Pyrotechnica XI)

1-3/8" High overall

Shot Hole = 3/4" Deep and 1/2" wide

• 1 year later...

I have the problem with importing the crossette pump to my country(very high price). The realization of pumps wants the turner to charge in my country, I do not have however the dimensions of the "head". I ask persons possessing the pump about the application of dimensions. The of the pump indifferent size.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7752/crossettelb4.jpg

great thanks

pump diameter 18.90mm

pin diameter 2.50mm

Pin length 5.20 mm

former at widest 8.00mm

Former at narrowest 6.35mm

Interior at widest 6.35mm

Interior at narrowest 4.8mm

for the 3/4"

pump diameter 18.90mm

pin diameter 2.50mm

Pin length 5.20 mm

former at widest 8.00mm

Former at narrowest 6.35mm

Interior at widest 6.35mm

Interior at narrowest 4.8mm

for the 3/4"

Great thanks Mumbles. You forgot to give the heights of former, is D on my picture:D.

I hope from I understood well:

Former at widest 8.00mm is E on my picture

Former at narrowest 6.35mm is G

Interior at widest 6.35mm is A

Interior at narrowest 4.8mm is C

I marked on the picture diagonal unnecessarily , and they are needless so.

Different former miles seen.

I didn't measure the length of the former, but I would say about 5/8". If you look in the other crossette thread, I think cplmac gave the height.

Former at widest 8.00mm is E on my picture

Former at narrowest 6.35mm is A

Interior at widest 6.35mm is not given in your picture. It is the equivalent of C, but on the other side of the pump.

Interior at narrowest 4.8mm is C

• 1 month later...
I didn't measure the length of the former, but I would say about 5/8". 

Hello,

I have a little question... "length of the former" is this length with or without pin ?

Regards

Very nice, irkacek!

I wanted to make my own too, the only problem would then be the cavity former, which I wouldn't be able to make properly.

How di you make it?

Firstly, sorry for my broken english.

I used electronic capilar, sand-paper and abrasive stones - like this. I spend 5 hours, but it should work fine.

It is very time-consuming process.

Regards

Here is how I would go about it if I were going to make my own. I would take a piece of square stock of whatever material I was going to use. Aluminum or steel perhaps. I would cut the piece however long I needed it, and start tapering. I'd end up with a truncated pyramid type of thing. Something like the shape of the keys on a keyboard. From there, I would take an electric rotary tool with an appropriately sized circular sanding bit. I would run it down the length of the sides, making the radius touch the corners of the truncated pyramid. I'd repeat this on all 4 sides. I'd take some very fine grit sand paper and smooth everything out. A drill press or something would have to be used to create the pin hole at the end. Perhaps the hole could go all the way through, and the pin be used to attach the former to the rest of the ram.

Just something I heard. Someone told me if you sharpen the fuse pin to a point, it works much better. It is supposed to speed things up by not having to have the minishot people used to use attached to the crossette with string. This is more a problem of the older years though. I would imagine it would give a little burst of fire better into the cavity, and hold the fuse in place.