APC Forum

Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro Book?

TheSidewinder

Feedback to satisfy our curiosity  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Have you downloaded the Turbo Pyro PDF? Will you?

• Yes, I've downloaded it.
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, but I will!
    • No, I have NOT downloaded it, and won't (for whatever reason).

Over the last few weeks, I've talked with Harry Gilliam and his programmer, Brian, several times. We've arrived at an agreement that should benefit ALL of us.

Our mutual intent is to provide beginners with a safe, modern, and easy-to-follow method to get into the hobby of Amateur Pyrotechnics.

And the Turbo Pyro book/kit looks to be the first venture to that end.

It's been a long time since Tom Peregrin wrote his book, "Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics", and some of the information within it is now dated.

It still remains a very good resource, however it IS expensive. Pyrotechnics Publishing is a VERY small market, and printing costs are phenomenal for a small run of only a few hundred (or a few dozen) books.

With the release of this PDF, it is hoped that more people will become interested in Pyrotechnics.

And power, lies within numbers. The Federal government is continuing to violate our rights to enjoy life, all in the name of "what's good for us".

Please add your comments.

I know a lot of us are FAR beyond the beginner stage, and I suspect that will be the main reason many won't download it.

But if that's the case, please add a note why, if you don't mind?

Thank you!

YES I DOWNLOADED TOO, HARRY AND NED DID A GREAT JOB WITH IT. I'VE MOVED TO 3" AND 4" SHELL NEXT YEAR I'LL GO TO 6" AND 8" SHELLS. GREAT HOBBY

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of the original 400 kits. It was quite a deal at the time. It's not such a deal at the current price of $197, and calling this "70% off" a contrived list price of $507 is just embarrassing. Come on, now... I know Harry's got to eat, but if ever there was a case for giving away the razor so you can sell the blades, this is it.

Incidentally, you can download the guide directly from Skylighter. Just go there and hang around until the popup appears, then go to Turbo Pyro and click on "no thanks, just send the book" (several times).

Over the last few weeks, I've talked with Harry Gilliam and his programmer, Brian, several times. We've arrived at an agreement that should benefit ALL of us.

Our mutual intent is to provide beginners with a safe, modern, and easy-to-follow method to get into the hobby of Amateur Pyrotechnics.

And the Turbo Pyro book/kit looks to be the first venture to that end.

It's been a long time since Tom Peregrin wrote his book, "Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics", and some of the information within it is now dated.

It still remains a very good resource, however it IS expensive. Pyrotechnics Publishing is a VERY small market, and printing costs are phenomenal for a small run of only a few hundred (or a few dozen) books.

With the release of this PDF, it is hoped that more people will become interested in Pyrotechnics.

And power, lies within numbers. The Federal government is continuing to violate our rights to enjoy life, all in the name of "what's good for us".

Please add your comments.

I know a lot of us are FAR beyond the beginner stage, and I suspect that will be the main reason many won't download it.

But if that's the case, please add a note why, if you don't mind?

Thank you!

I cannot find it. I tried to get it from Skylighter's site but only found a sales pitch for his $197.00 kit. I don't even know if I would like building fireworks so I am not about to venture roughly $200.00 on the CHANCE THAT I MIGHT. I think I would, but I am not sure. I am a retired firefighter and I have always enjoyed watching fireworks, but I am aware of the dangers involved and am limited by my pension amount as to what I can spend money on now!

I cannot find it. I tried to get it from Skylighter's site but only found a sales pitch for his $197.00 kit.

I found the link at the very bottom of the sales pitch page. Scroll down.

I definitely have and found it to be very helpful for a newcomer to the hobby like myself

• 2 weeks later...

So this book would be some sort of primer (no pun intended) ;) on the art of pyrotechnics? Does it deal with everyday components or does it refer to experiments using dedicated secret formula compounds sold only through the author of this document? I imagine it has detailed informations on potential hazards and precautions to take when handling and preparing material?

Robert

Rob,

It was written by a friend of mine (and everyone that likes fireworks) Neg Gorski. He made the book simple and as safe as it can be. All of the ingredients can be bought at Skylighter but they can also be bought at most of the vendors here as well. Give Niel from Undergroundgadgets a call and ask what he has. his prices beat most others.

I dont think there is a single unobtanium chemical in the lot.

D

• Like 1

At the bottom of the page there is a link "No thanks, just take me to the e-book" or something like that. You'll have to click that a few times, and then you can download it. I think most things are BP based, a few things with metals like atomized Al for glitters or Ti/FerroTi for tails, but they're optional.

• 2 weeks later...

you should do now, as you are now a "full member" you only become a full member once you reply to a post somewhere on APC.

Apparently if you didn't get it already, you're too late. Hanging around on the Skylighter web site doesn't seem to pop up the pop-up any more, and there's this - "Turbo Pyro is now closed". There's a waiting list for an upcoming new version.

• 2 weeks later...
No, Sidewinder and Mumbles will not allow it being posted here. PM me with questions.

Does anyone know whether the book will be free to not-kit-buyers when the kits are released next week? The blog comments have assured people from overseas that "the book is free" but said zip about how one actually gets it, except by receiving a link after ordering a kit.

No, Sidewinder and Mumbles will not allow it being posted here. PM me with questions.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

For those who are curious, the ebook is again available for free download via Skylighter.

As before, you have to click past the Turbo Pyro kit ad, the expensive fireworks-projects ebook ad, and give-us-your-friends'-addresses ad first to get to the link to download it. This year's book is 30 pages shorter than last year's but that appears to be almost entirely formatting changes (smaller pics and the video links open in separate windows, rather than having embedded viewing areas inside the ebook). Same projects and in all the places I spot-checked, identical instructions.

I havent been able to get it yet. On the email list when it comes in. I am trying to find out if working with flash powder is a bad idea. I have a stump that needs removed. I have read alot on it. Just wondering how dangerous it is. Even with all the saftey precautions.

Is anyone able to help me out on my questions. I would like to learn what I can.

I wouldn't bother with blowing the stump out. While more fun, it's not well documented with flash powder. Flash doesn't really have the heaving power that is better suited for stump removal. There is much more on using KNO3 to burn or rot the stump out.

nevermind my reply its a bad idea for people who dont know what there doing.... wink2.gif

Edited by aftertheaftershock