APC Forum

Hot Glue Guns

swervedriver

I just had my first big scare, no fire thank God. I was working with a Swingline 33007 glue gun and it shorted out while in use. I always worried about the heat from the glue itself, never really thought about the tool. The gun popped and small flame shot out of it! Of course I thew it far away as fast as possible. I just completely, utterly, and totally lucked out.

I've already found religion, this just reinforced it. I could have been seriously injured or killed. I'm going to contemplate my luck for a while...

Needless to say, electrical tools are not failsafe. That glue gun is manufactured or rebranded by a large "respected" company, Swingline. This could have been a total disaster. Serious and deadly food for thought for anyone using glue guns or any electrical tools around pyro...

Glad you're OK. Maybe it'd be a good idea to install and use a GFCI outlet for these glue guns when in use for pyro. The GFCI should, in theory, prevent such sparking and flames.

One common safety precaution that is taken is to heat the glue gun up with electricity, and unplug it for use. There are also glue guns with a dock that will only heat up the glue while in the dock, no electricity when out of it.

Wow, thanks for letting me now ! I'm glad you're safe, as well of every other user of hot glue guns. And you say that you've used a good brand one ? Jees, I've always owned the Chinese cheap versions.

In fact, I remember that one "exploded". Four years ago, I was using a small (8mm) glue gun go paste some plastics. And I don't why, one day I forgot it turned on.

When the night came, it was still turned on, I didn't suspect though. Then, I heard a small "bang" in the home, but I thought that it came from the neighbors. Then, my mother told me that she heard a "boom" coming from my room and asked me if I've ignited something. I said no. I didn't even suspect the hot glue gun.

Next morning I found it in a strange way. It was covered with glue, the "barrel" was misplaced and it didn't heat when plugged. I threw it in the trash can.

I don't know how much a 30mA RCCB costs. Alternatively, I would use the hot glue gun when pyrotechnic mixtures aren't around. For example, prepare the hemi/spolette connection separately.

Edited by 50AE

I have melted down two hot glue guns by forgetting to unplug them. I didn't have them catch fire however. The glue inside just boiled and carbonized, got anywhere in the housing and prevented any further use. I now have a somewhat more expensive gun with a bi-metal in it to crudely control the temperature. When leaving this one on for extended periods of time the glue will just drip out, but the gun will keep on working properly.

Besides, you should never use a glue gun near pyrotechnic mixtures in my opinion. The only exeption being glueing in time fuse, but always before the shell is filled. For all other things needed to be glued there are better or safer alternatives.

I have had one for a good 8 years, it was a cheapo I think, but I have left it on for days at a time on a few occasions, no problems, it is completely coated in crusty glue and half of the plastic is mising exposing the melting chamber thingo, I am surprised that it still works, I guess they just don't make them like they used to.

This one was around that age too Yankie. Not that yours will do what mine did, but you never know. just wanted to share my experience. Be careful is all.

I have been doing as mumbels suggested(turning on the hot glue gun and allowing it to heat up than unplugging it and than using it ) nearly all the time (sometimes i forget) and have used a few different glue guns (got a few at home) and i have noticed that though normally a larger glue gun can be a little annoying because it is larger but the largest one we have at home has become my favourite because it will stay hot enough for a good 10-15min (depending on how much glue im passing through it normally not much) so it might be worth when buying a hot glue gun buying a larger one that will stay hot for longer

ralph

Edited by Ralph

• 1 month later...
What about modifying the glue gun a little ? Connect a switch to the cable ? Just let it plugged in the socket and switch it on when you need to use it.

As a quick point, I think that unless the glue gun seriously malfunctions and erupts into flames then there's little risk of it igniting- using a small pile of my black powder (more sensitive variety) I could not get ignition by placing the hot nozzle into a small pile of black powder. Maybe my black powder is just less sensitive (I use a non acidic sulfur, and this particular batch used anylitical grade potassium nitrate. The charcoal I use is jarrah- has anyone else tried this? Rather than using the paint can method, I know blast my jarrah in a furnace for an extended period of time. I think this causes it to become mostly carbon, and it works better than the other method I tried) or I have a cooler glue gun.

That asides, unless there's a specific reason I use a different adhesive. Hot glue isn't the most secure thing around anyway.

The heat from a hot glue gun isn't enough to set off black powder. Black powder ignites near 300C, while hot glue guns maintain a temperature of 120-200C.

These guns are very useful. I will mod mine with a switch, turning it on only when there's no flammable mixtures.

But I wonder what have used ancient pyros as a glue in the past.

Edited by 50AE

The heat from a hot glue gun isn't enough to set off black powder. Black powder ignites near 300C, while hot glue guns maintain a temperature of 120-200C.

These guns are very useful. I will mod mine with a switch, turning it on only when there's no flammable mixtures.

But I wonder what have used ancient pyros as a glue in the past.

Dextrin, or even ye olde flower ande waters?

I'm not sure if you can really make a paste with the dextrin and seal the gaps tightly around the time fuse.

Tarred string was wound around the timefuse next to the disc. During pasting, a crown of paper is also formed up around the fuse which adds a secondary fire block.

In ye olde days, they were also using spolettes. One can also use elmers glue, which I think gradually replaced hide glue. If you want to seal around a time fuse, you just wrap paste soaked string around the base and build up a small pyramid. This is still used by some chinese companies. One can actually almost get away with not using glue at all until the pasting in when making canister shells.

• 1 year later...
I know this is a rediculously old topic:D, but I thought I would tell what I do. I plug the glue gun into a power strip, and when I am about to apply the glue, I just flip the switch on the power strip to off with my foot.

In "ye olde days" they used hide glue, which is in fact a hot melt, only they melted it in an iron pot over a heat source instead of in a convenient gun. It consisted basically of gelatin.

just curious, what was the project you were working on? I use a low temp glue gun, if that makes any difference. Cant imagine having one of those things malfunction anywhere near flash.

I know this is a rediculously old topic:D, but I thought I would tell what I do. I plug the glue gun into a power strip, and when I am about to apply the glue, I just flip the switch on the power strip to off with my foot.

I use the Surebonder CL-800 and can be found on Amazon for around $15.00 each. It sits in a cradle that can be attached to a solid surface and disconnects when picked up and used.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Surebonder CL-800 and can be found on Amazon for around $15.00 each. It sits in a cradle that can be attached to a solid surface and disconnects when picked up and used.

Thats one perdy lookin' gun you got there Dag

The one drawback is that the glue comes out pretty fast since it can use both 7/16 and 1/2 sticks and the 1/2 sticks are a little tight making the glue come out a little fast. My Arrow will but out a very fine bead but it has no cradle.

Trade offs.

I could have potentially have had an accident with a hot glue gun a month or so ago. It basically sparked but it was very loud; I thought it was a firecracker (although I don't store any). It gave me a big fright but luckily I was using it for making a model rather than pyrotechnic purposes. It's in the bin now and I have yet to replace it. So yes, it's definitely one thing to watch out for guys and don't think it won't happen to you. I now have to buy a new one.