• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 JMan

JMan

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

Honestly guys I disolve it in water and boil it off. I can't speak statistacly that it is better, but if you can acuretly measure the temp of the mix and keep ir right at about 160-165 C (340 F) it's very much a liquid almost so much that you can pour it into a large grain.

I like to follow it all mathematically. Getting the perfect 65:35 mix (it's really 13:7) so that the burn is complete and setting the temp to 160 so that water boils off and sugar dosnt carmilize is perfect. There will be NO water left at all and (mathematically at least) a perfect burn.

#22 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Magnum and JMan the 65:35 mix is fairly close to what it needs to be, or at least it is a good starting point. When I do my strand test I'll burn a hunk and if it leaves a white blob of slag in the residue then it is too lean and requires a bit more fuel in the mix. Likewise if it leaves a black blob of tar then it needs more oxidizer.

I try to use the same brand of sugar and KNO3 every time because I've had to readjust the mix between brands. The difference isn't much but consistency is important with rcandy and I get a little OCD with it.

The powdered sugar works but it will have less fuel value so do the burn test and adjust. Note that the amount of starch could differ even when using the same brand.

#23 JMan

JMan

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yah NJ a little bit of fine tuning is needed but chemically the 35:65 is perfect but of course you'll have a gram or two of impureties. You can look up (NFDA or something I can't remember the acronym) and it will tell you exactly what chemicles are in products like stump remover and sugar/powdered sugar. Great place to find out just how good of stuff your using.

Thankfully my two chemicles are just as impure the perfect 35:65 leaves nothing behind except a very slight bit of white (enough that it kinda vaporizes away in a couple of seconds)

You should almost never go past 60:30 or 70:40 unless your trying to really change the fuel (some additives call for less sugar) if you do have to break the 30's and 60's try a different brand of something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users