APC Forum

Rcandy

firetech

Is there a chart of the relative properties of the usual sugars when used as rocket fuel? KNSU/KNER/KNSB et al. Is sucrose the best fuel or simply the most easily available?

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a chart of the relative properties of the usual sugars when used as rocket fuel? KNSU/KNER/KNSB et al. Is sucrose the best fuel or simply the most easily available?

Richard Nakka might have something that compares them ( www.nakkarocketry.net )

Sucrose might be the 'most availablet/cheapest' of the sugars to use but it has issues...absorbs moisture, higher casting temperature, caramelizes faster, etc. and is not allowed at Tripoli Research events. The only 'sugars' allowed at TRA is KNSB, KNDX, and KNER.

I have used about 6 different sugars and have cast a couple thousand pounds of KNSB and perhaps 30 pounds of sucrose in my life so there must be a reason.

Did you record the thrust?

It looks quite huge..

Average thrust for ~16 seconds was 1,800 pounds though the motor burned for about 18 seconds with usable thrust.

Watching them cast the grain I noticed how runny the mixture was. I have never made Rcandy that watery! Unless it wasn't done cooking and there was water still left