APC Forum

A Roman Candle

Richtee

My second attempt. First was using .375 pressed stars... this time I went 1". Kinda needed a bit more lift for the stars I guess... but they DID burn out before grounding....bonus! Used the "sculpy" supposed rocket fuel for the delay. The stars were a standard strontium red, with commercial dragons eggs pressed in, bound with NC and poly glue.

Visit My Website

I'll keep working on them. A 3" would be cool!

That was pretty sweet dude. I don't think iv made a roman candle before. Might have to give it a try :D

That was a really good one , it would be interesting to see a night shot test to ,or what do you think?

That was a really good one , it would be interesting to see a night shot test to ,or what do you think?

well yeah... I was just trying not to piss off the wife and neighbors ;)

I am building a 6 shot 1 inch. I'll risk the backlash for that one. Cool devices!

Edited by Richtee

I am building a 6 shot 1 inch. I'll risk the backlash for that one. Cool devices!

A pre-fire shot... Hmm Sunday night...good time to let 'er rip eh? ;{)

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/0322091649.jpg

A pre-fire shot... Hmm Sunday night...good time to let 'er rip eh? ;{)

Shit...got the first "fountain" shot off...and the fucker blew up. I might have video...but I was ducking. Dammit.

1" failure

Upon looking...and listening a couple times, seems my time delay failed. I MAY have cracked the first...err..in loading the last FULL star. Which would cause a premature launch and mess up the next delay... etc. Grr there goes the better part of a pound of materials...sigh.

Edited by Richtee

Hmmmm, seems I have to install Apple Quicktime to view that file. I'll be back with comments once I can see the video. :D
  • Like 1

OK, now i can see it.

Well, that first shot was certainly nice. :D

The candle isn't "in-frame" when it blows, but I see the aftermath.

Didn't seem like it blew up very vigorously, though?

That was pretty nice mine in any case, Richtee! What did you use for a delay between shots, and how tight were the stars in the tube?

Speaking of having to install Quicktime (which I loath), why can't we save the file and view it locally?

Edit: Here's the direct link for those of you who don't want to taint their browser with the quicktime add-on. http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/123...5_21_904416.mov

Edited by FrankRizzo

OK, now i can see it.

Well, that first shot was certainly nice. :D

The candle isn't "in-frame" when it blows, but I see the aftermath.

Didn't seem like it blew up very vigorously, though?

Sorry about the QT...Ahh us MAc guys...anyway..I found the tube this AM, seemed to be more like a "rocket launch" after the second "stage" failed. I'm still suspecting a damaged time delay between the first whole star, and the second, causing a complete firing of all. The tube was found 100 foot away with the base badly shattered, the fiberglss tape in shambles. Altho I have used them in the past- 'twas also a spiral wound tube...never good in these apps.

Edit: Here's the direct link for those of you who don't want to taint their browser with the quicktime add-on.

Heh "taint" ;{)

I used the Sculpy "rocket fuel"...as I did in the first vid of this post- a 3 shot. But again, I felt a weird "crack" tamping the last star... it was either that..or the deeper 'grooves" in this tube as opposed to the first..which I also sealed with waterglass.

Thanks for translating to Windoze stuff ;{)

Edited by Richtee

• 3 months later...
Im planning on making a 2inch candle launching shells. Have you ever used shells in your candles (i couldnt view the first one) and have you ever used sawdust in between shots?

Shells should work the same as stars (or comets) however I'm not sure that the 'smith method' as described in the SL article would be ideal at that size.

• 7 years later...

My second attempt. First was using .375 pressed stars... this time I went 1". Kinda needed a bit more lift for the stars I guess... but they DID burn out before grounding....bonus! Used the "sculpy" supposed rocket fuel for the delay. The stars were a standard strontium red, with commercial dragons eggs pressed in, bound with NC and poly glue.

Visit My Website

I'll keep working on them. A 3" would be cool!

oops.. vid gone..this is similar..