APC Forum

A tip...

Richtee

Especially for all you folks launching and filming your own, and even if you do have a helper:

Put a rising effect on the puppy! You'll be almost assured of being able to center the burst that way.

The poly glue risers are SOO easy! Self stick, and work well. Well, anyway- back to my 3" cannister :{)

On Edit: A quick and easy riser: a 70/30 mix of KPerc and the Poly glue. Thin slightly with acetone, to a thick paste and drizzle/dab around the time fuse. Add a few grains of BP while wet for a prime. Now, ya can add some color if ya like, or a bit of charcoal/Mg chunks... whatever. But the base there will give a bright white trail to follow easily. Takes about 3 hours to harden. Give it a try!

Edited by Richtee
  • Like 2

I'm a fan of whistle spolettes myself, just toss in a bit of Ti for a cool rising effect.

True, but you guys speak of bigger shells, right? Timing spolette? I use visco wrapped in tape to the proper diameter and cement it in the fuse hole.

In any case, since the poly comp itself sticks to about anything <especially skin!> It's really easy.

Spolettes are great for smaller shells (though I have used them on my 6" shells, but they were top fused), the humble spolette Is prone to blow throughs if not manufactured carefully, especially on bigger shells, the secret is a thick walled tube so you can ram/press the composition really well in, when this is done you have a reliable timing device. With my spolettes i'm comfortable putting them in the lift charge on shells up to 4 inches in diameter, anything bigger will be top fused just for peace of mind. I can only say to you to give them a try, you'll never go back to visco ^_^ . Another cool feature is that it lights easily (especially if you scratch the surface of the spolette to make it a bit more rough) so no messing around with crossmatching time fuse. I love this humble timing device.

• 1 year later...
Another thing that i've noticed, is a crackling effect. simply to richtee's poly add a few % pre-primed dragons eggs, The store bought salvaged ones could work(as to get it right), but homemade can be far superior. as soon as i get my dragons eggs sorted out(having some trouble with them lighting) i'll post a shell with a crackling rising effect.

• 1 year later...
Maybe on the wrong track but I substituted MgAl for the aluminum and pressed some 1" comets then hot glued to top. Not real crackley but nice and bright and sparkly all the way past apex. Just an idea.

• 1 year later...
I guess your right.......but i'm not a fan of the tails i like the mystery of where it went. old school back in the day there were no tails :D

• 2 months later...
Hallalua on the filming.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's one reason.

• 11 months later...