APC Forum

Happy Birthday to APC

Mumbles

Andyboy, I didn't mean to contribute to your retirement from the hobby. Perhaps someday you'll come back to it. And Mumbles, how is Lil_Guppy doing?

You guys have done a lovely job with the site, and while many have disappeared, a fair number of you at least check in here. It's very nice.

Andyboy, I didn't mean to contribute to your retirement from the hobby. Perhaps someday you'll come back to it.

It was one of several contributing factors such as time, money, children, everybody leaving, nobody making any vids and new inventions (just a lot of same old, same old) and as Pyrohawk mentioned a lot less posting by knowledgeable members.

Don't get me wrong, I still have all my stuff and I make things for special occasions such as all my 365 mice's birthdays :D (not really, but on easter, New Years and birthdays of friends and family) but I find it hard to be on the board as much as I used to be. Maybe I'm getting older and more grumpy but I feel that there is not the same feel like it used to be. Anyways, I love you guys, it's been a nice 8 something years (on and off) and I hope there will be many more to come for all of us. Stay green.

Lil_Guppy seems to be doing well. He said he still occasionally makes stuff, and might try to stop in soon.

I agree with the feel changing. I think it has something to do with everyone maturing, and trying to keep some of the more moronic things off, as well as reduced flaming. I took great pride in my flaming back in the day. We've certainly lost some of the feel with the privatization of the HE section. I think it's better, but it has killed all discussion. I think I have about 3 new videos since you left Andyboy, heh. I still don't have a camera worth a damn with regards to pyro video, so I generally have to rely on the kindness of others unfortunately.

Sorry for the change of subject, but I was wondering, who was the first member? I always thought it was Mumbles, but now I see that he's the 4th.

apcadmin is the first member, Chaz is the second, Mr. Yuk was the third and Mumbles is the fourth. At least that's how I think it goes. Though I always thought Mr. Yuk was the first member.

APCAdmin is just the default account. It was created when the forum was installed. We all registered within a few hours. I think Chaz got to it first because he got it all setup. The old forum had the registration time down to the minute. I was #3 on the old forum I think. Believe it or not, I didn't always have the highest post count either.

I figured the apcadmin wasn't a member but I thought Mr Yuk paid for the transfer so I figured he would be the first real member (that is #2) but since Chaz set it up it all makes sense again. :D

I think we all chipped in. I remember paying Mr. Yuk in perc once. We'd chip in once a year for hosting, and all that fun stuff.

Nesler... woah.. talk about some flash back...... Long time no see!!

For those of you who don't know; Mumbles, Andyboy, Nesler, Mr. Yuk, Chaz, and Lil_Guppy are the gods of old. Back in the good old days when men were men and women were too.....(apprentice chemist :P)

I remember Blind reeper; He blew up on me about one of my very first posts in the newbie section of the Ol' red N' gray Xsorbit forum, it was about lampare shells....

Wow... How long have I been here?? What year is it?

*edit* Has the domain for the old forum at Xsorbit2 expired? If I try the link in Mumbles' sig. or if I try a search engine I can't open it....

Edited by RUUUUUN

I haven't been able to get to the old xsorbit site for quite some time, though some reported it was still "alive" when I couldn't get to it a year or so ago. It kept timing out on me.

I just tried now, with several variations of the index page (index.cgi, index.php, and just a / after apcforum) and got to a completely blank page every time. (I viewed source. It really is blank.)

It also appears that the entire parent site (xsorbit.com) has changed drastically. It redirects to createaforum.com and is using SMF Forum software. I suspect the "old" APC is no more.

And to be honest, I hope it *IS* gone. No one was moderating it last time I was able to get it to resolve, and there were quite a few posts that were put there by obvious idiots.

Mumbles MAY have an archive of the old posts. But I'm afraid they'd do us little good. I very much doubt we'd be able to import the data here.

About anything good was moved here. You'll notice my first 30 or 40 posts are just copy and pastes of other peoples' posts. There was still a lot of good stuff we didn't get. Those assholes wouldn't give us the database.

I do have an archive of the very first forum, Xinventions. Now that is a blast from the past. We actually had a female mod way back then. It's embarrassing reading some of the things I posted then. Using KMnO4/Al/S flash powder, and stuff like that.

Oh, ok. That would explain a few of the oldest posts.

So they wouldn't give ya the SQL database, huh? The bastards.

Hmm... maybe I should set my dedi server to annoy them. :whistle:

• 1 month later...

Well, it appears you read enough of the Rules to figure out you have to make a reply.

Doing so in the Introductions thread would have been better than here, but welcome to the Forums anyway. :whistle:

• 3 years later...

Really? Mumbles you were a "k3wl" flamer back in the day? I am shocked to say the least. I'm happy that you've grown up. This forum really stands out because of the strict moderation and frequent presence of you, thesidewinder, and the other admin members. Great job guys.

Happy 4 20 everyone!!!

There were some conflicting posts as to the BDay of APC, but I like this date so I'm gonna run with this last post.

Happy BDay APC!!!

Well... the first post in this topic, by Mumbles, says 08 October 2000 was the "official" inception date. So APC will be 13 this year. Hard to believe.

And he's the only original member left, I think. The rest haven't logged in for ages. I was a late-comer to the Admin group

My join date recorded in the software now shows as 01 Feb 06, but PyroHawk says he looked on the old site and it was 31 Aug 2005.

That seems more correct in my mind, so I changed that in the database. Now it matches.

I've been rather pleased by how we've grown. Keep up the good work, folks. ;)

There are still some members left that were from the original APC. I might be the only mod/admin still active, but we have contributing members around still. Al93535, Pretty_Green_Flames, asilentbob, RogueChemist, Optimus, etc.have all been members for about as long as I can remember. I know a few at least pre-date APC when we were still at Xinventions.

• 1 month later...
Haven't been able to shoot off any devices for a long while now. I love that this forum is still around. Thanks to the mod's and the admin's for carrying it through this far and hopefully many more years. Glad you're still kickin Mumbles and Sidewinder!

Well my first post i just prefer to read but happy birthday apc. love this forum; very good information.