APC Forum

Happy Birthday to APC

Mumbles

I posted this elsewhere, but I feel it deserves an official annoucement.

The forum turns 8 today. Technically it's the date we established what officially was APC forum, when we broke away from xinventions, but no one really knows when it got started. It is the establishment of APC, backdated to when the founding members got together. Of which, I may be the only remaining one. Frkonaleash, Rooster, and a few others go way back too though. We even had a female mod when I first joined.

Its weird to think that I've been a mod for exactly 5 years now.

Yay, now drink a beer and light some shells in celebration. Replace apple juice and sparklers and neccesary for legal reasons if needed.

• Like 1

I'll drink a beer, and light *something* anyways. No shells assembled at the moment, but I do have the WASP kind of setup...

Congats Mumbles!!!!

I can't have a beer today, but I'll have a few during the long weekend.

Fido

I've been here for almost 4 and a half years now. Looks like I started about 8 months after Mumbles... I have plenty of beer, and I do have a shell finished but I'm in the middle of Columbus with no way to fire it. <_<

I had no idea APC had been around in one form or another that long!

I joined when we were at xsorbit, but have no idea when that was exactly.

No shells, but I *DO* have a couple of beers in the refirgerator, thanks to Mumbles. ;)

Happy Birthday, APC!

You joined on Aug. 31 2005 Sidewinder. Hehe I just looked it up on the old forum.... it was how I knew how long I had been around here! I would have never been able to remember otherwise. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast. :P

I would have guess APC had been around for about 6 years so yeah that surprises me too. I miss the old days... we have lost a lot of good members and back then I was able to do pyro, and did, every day practically!

Congrats MUMBLES and thanks for all that you and others do! I can only light my curio cabinet and toast with some 30 year old congac. The neighbors would have words otherwise I'm sure.

Congratulations on the anniversary.

Was the female mod ladykate by any chance from wichitabuggywhip.com?

I thought I heard somewhere that ladykate was a guy or a a guy and his wife.

Either way happy birthday APC!

You joined on Aug. 31 2005 Sidewinder. Hehe I just looked it up on the old forum.... it was how I knew how long I had been around here! I would have never been able to remember otherwise. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast. :P

I would have guess APC had been around for about 6 years so yeah that surprises me too. I miss the old days... we have lost a lot of good members and back then I was able to do pyro, and did, every day practically!

Well, well. That would have been the tail-end of my first year with the WPAG, I think.

What a winding road the Forum has taken over the years. I had no idea APC was already 5 years old by the time I joined.

Maybe not exactly 8 years old, but it's pretty close. I joined what would become APC around new years of 2001. I believe I still have archives that go back that far, or at least pretty close. It'd be fun to dig them out sometime. Then again, I'd prefer to keep all evidence of my immaturity and kewlness under lock and key. Yes, I can assure you I was an epic poster back then as well.

Another funny story about history. Some of you may remember Blindreeper. I'm sorry to admit I may have been partially responsible for him getting out of pyro, but thats another story. Anyway we were both epic posters and were cruising along leaving everyone in the dust as far as post count. So around post 800 or so we somehow got into a race to be the first to hit 1000. After that it got out of hand. A big day for me now is maybe 8-10 posts. We're talking easily 20-30, possibly even 50 in a day. He actually beat me out by posting 38 times in a period of a few hours. I still like to think I won because of the time zone difference.

LadyKate was not the mod. Her name was Nikki. She was actually quite intelligent and active the first two years I was a member at Xinventions(the predecesor of APC). Then completely fell off the face of the earth. It's a shame too, she was about my age :)

The whole ladykate thing gets confusing. There is Danny Creagan, his daughter Katherine, and her husband. They were sharing a computer for a while. Whenever they would post on rec.pyro or anything they'd forgot to log out as each other, so you never knew who you were talking to. I was corresponding with them once about exotic whistle catalysts. Copper salicyliate, Copper chromite, etc. To this day I still don't know which one was e-mailing me.

Hahahaah I remember when you guys had that contest! And when he decided to leave.... Shame, he was a good pyro all things considered. I still use the star he coined... Reeper Silver, not that its exactly unique or clever or anything. But it was one of the few metal streamers I could make in those days and its simplicity was handy.

I remember Nikki... never really talked to her though.

I also miss Andyboy and Po (though I still talk to him from time to time he just doesn't frequent the pyro scene). It seems like about 2 or 3 years ago the pyro world went into a recession...anyone else feel that way? I mean the first couple years I was on here it seemed like there was hundreds of posts every day...I might be dramatizing but you get my point... and everyone (myself included) seemed to be making stuff like every day. Then things just slowly kinda quieted down... Wonder why?

Yeah I miss when I used to spend a couple hours everyday making and testing new things and then posting to this forum. I remember back when it first started I was a member at xinventions and totse and then heard people inviting members over to this thing called apc. I remember back when mumbles and blindreeper had their posting war....there arnt really many people left at all from around that time when we first started. We had a bunch of great people from back then like Mr. yuk and nesler and rooster idk there was tons of people. I was looking up some info on the old forum the other day and its funny to remember everyone and see all the posts from many years ago. (except for the entire section that got wiped out and remade)So many come and go....i havnt really made anything in a while but that is just because of money and other issues... I definitely plan to return to the hobby at some point....the only question is when. Edited by FrKoNaLeaSh1010

Happy Birthday APC!

Sadly I havn't been around long enough to see to many people leave. I had taken a look at the sight and read a few things when it was on the old page, also when Rooster, Mr. Yuk, Mumbles and a few others were admins. I never really got to know any of them, just remember seeing them around.

I don't have any ruined cider laying around to dump out but I do have several shells. Now if the wind is down enough Ill shoot them. Its rainy and wet out now so thats good. I still have a mini disposal show of junk left over from the convention that needs to be shot on a wet day. To bad I left about 500g of TT stars out last night, they look like a pile of crap now :(

Happy B-day APC!

Seems I have been into pyro for about 4 years now judging by when I started on totse.

Happy birthday APC

Thanks to all the guys who have kept it up and running over the years.

Hahahaah I remember when you guys had that contest! And when he decided to leave.... Shame, he was a good pyro all things considered. I still use the star he coined... Reeper Silver, not that its exactly unique or clever or anything. But it was one of the few metal streamers I could make in those days and its simplicity was handy.

I remember Nikki... never really talked to her though.

I also miss Andyboy and Po (though I still talk to him from time to time he just doesn't frequent the pyro scene). It seems like about 2 or 3 years ago the pyro world went into a recession...anyone else feel that way? I mean the first couple years I was on here it seemed like there was hundreds of posts every day...I might be dramatizing but you get my point... and everyone (myself included) seemed to be making stuff like every day. Then things just slowly kinda quieted down... Wonder why?

We have grown up together. The age group was pretty compact in those times and as we went off to college and other things, pyro has taken a spot on the backburner.

i havnt really made anything in a while but that is just because of money and other issues... I definitely plan to return to the hobby at some point....the only question is when.

Man I hear that. Right now I'm pulling 18 credit hours and next semester is probably going to be more, plus TAing for more than just lab setup. Expenses get in the way.

I am lucky enough to have a girlfriend who loves chemistry. We made a batch of ETN for our anniversary last weekend. But still, one batch of ETN is nothing compared to turning out a shell a night or a constant batch of BP in the mill.

• 8 months later...

This is a terribly old thread, but seeing as how I don't even have the necessary rank to start a new thread, I suppose this will have to do.

I think a very small number of you might remember me. I joined back in the Xinventions days (October of 2003, I believe, but it might have been earlier than that). Those bygone halcyon years...

I was a moderator on the board that came after it (is this the 3rd or fourth generation of the board? I'm afraid I've lost track). What I was most involved in was the Info Pool project, which I spearheaded and which was a pretty good success for a time there (Mumbles, I still want that girandola book, you bastard!). That was my major interest, I think, more than the actual creation of fireworks. Back when I first joined up, there was a terrible dearth of good solid information. I remember people on the Xinventions board quoting from the Jolly Roger. Christ, that was scary. Okay, so maybe they weren't halcyon days. I like to think that I had a very, very small role to play in helping this community become what it is now. I hope there are a few folks out there still referring to the books that I (and many others) scanned and OCRed.

This week, as the fourth approached, I started thinking of you guys, and decided I would check in and see what was up. I'm very, very glad that you're all still here. Perhaps I'll try and check in a bit more often. If the bosses here ever need some help, a person to enforce the utilization of common sense here, I'll be glad to help. But I suppose there are a number of people who have put in the long hours far more recently than I have to deserve that authority. I don't know.

But I am glad to see that many of you are still here, and that there are so many people that I don't recognize. New blood, smart blood, is a very, very good thing for this hobby.

Please feel free to send me a personal message, or email me at tweaker at gmail dot com, if you like.

Wow..... what a blast from the past. (Pun intended!)

You should have the rights to start a new thread. I'll make sure your account is fixed if not.

(EDIT: You do have the rights, and I believe they were automatically granted once you made the above reply. When we switched to the new IP Board v2.3.x software from the old and insecure v1.3.1, it appears some existing member accounts were flagged as needing to make a reply before being able to start a new post, just like New Members must do. Sorry about that.)

Although their accounts still exist, and a couple of them do make an occasional appearance, Mumbles and Al are the only *active* Admins/Mods left from those days. I'm somewhat of a latecomer, who joined when APC was at the xsorbits site, and I'm not sure which iteration that was. The 3rd one maybe? Mumbles will know.

The old Info Pool is no more. APC had to go legit to keep our butts covered, so we no longer allow any copyrighted materials to be posted without the right paperwork, permissions, etc. If a publication is actually in the Public Domain, that's fine.

Glad to see you returned. And please add us back to your list of "must visit often sites", eh?

I understand the need to go legit. It's part of the reason I walked away from pyro a few years ago. But I have a hunch I'll be getting back into it soon. But I do think it's cool that you guys have a tutorials section. There are some very well written documents in there.

I will try and make my presence known a bit more often.

Heya nesler, long time no see. Been missing you and the rest of the guys to the point of moving along to the next hobby and only visiting here once in a while. Just waiting for every other old pyro to come back and talk about old memories. :D

Welcome back.

Back in my day, we had to walk to our shoot sites for 2 hours in 18" of snow. Uphill both ways........

It's good to see you guys back. I try to keep in contact with a lot of people, but I've failed with several unfortunately. I just got a chance to talk to Lil_Guppy the other day as I couldn't sleep and was up at 4:30 AM. Hopefully you all make a more frequent presence. I think you'll like what we've done with the site, and turned it into.