APC Forum

Donations Can Be Made Here

TheSidewinder

I'm new, but sent you ten bucks, because I like the site and think it should stay open. Hope you received it. RB

I'm new, but sent you ten bucks, because I like the site and think it should stay open. Hope you received it. RB

• 2 weeks later...

What is "normal" time to get the "Donator" tag after one makes a donation ?

How ever long it takes for TheSidewinder to get to it. It's updated manually,

Just a little idea on how to control costs. I am a programmer and game developer by profession. I have run apps with over a quarter million players per day in the past... With server/data costs exceeding $10,000/Month.

It appears like this website gets a lot of Guest traffic, and probably a lot of scanning from bots. The actual logged in user amount seems so low it should barely cost anything to keep it going if that were the only thing using processing power and bandwidth.

If you locked down the website with a login/register form before anyone could view any images/posts/information/etc... It would cut processor time/bandwidth down massively. Also, you could only allow the website to be indexed by a select few popular search engine bots. Google, Yahoo, etc... They would be allowed past the mandatory login.

It would cut down public access to the website, but it should cut costs to hardly anything. (Unless there is big DDOS attacks or something you have to fend off.)

Edit: Also, I hadn't thought of it... Disk usage could be an issue with the amount of images on the website. If that is the case, maybe aggressively purge old posts into static text-only archives? I have had logging get out of control and start costing a lot to store before. Disk space is rarely what gets you. Bandwidth overages on virtual cloud hosts are usually the cash drain in my business.

I currently use Linode and jElastic eApps for my hosting needs.

Edited by usapyro

Apologies for the delay, work and real life has intruded yet again. >.
Grateful thanks to our newest donators, cevmarauder, pyrochilean, Rushfire, DesertCatUSN, Tourbillion, Skyhook, EdM, RichardH08, and repeat donators FlareLauncher and Vulcan, - as well as one generous donation from someone who wishes to remain anonymous.

We also got two donations from people whose email does not match an account here, and they did not leave their names.

One from t...........@gmail.com and the other from imr......@yahoo.com - please send me a PM or post here for your donator badges! :)

Thank you all! :)

If you locked down the website with a login/register form before anyone could view any images/posts/information/etc... It would cut processor time/bandwidth down massively. Also, you could only allow the website to be indexed by a select few popular search engine bots. Google, Yahoo, etc... They would be allowed past the mandatory login.

It would cut down public access to the website, but it should cut costs to hardly anything. (Unless there is big DDOS attacks or something you have to fend off.)

It will also cut down in new members and new donations. I only registered as an user after finding several interesting topics in the site. No way I will have registered without browsing the forum first.

I've enjoyed the site very much, so I've donated $20...I've gotten more than that in good info and articles here. It showed up as "VIPERDATSYS" on my PayPal ... I hope that is the right recepient. Thanks again for the great resource for us amateur pyros!

Hello

Too bad I had to stop all my pyro related hobbys ( I think i've explained it on a post :ph34r: ) , but seriously this forum gave me so much more than knoweldge... One of the best two years of my life. During these years I was really living just for the pyrotechnics, I was encountering some family issue (divorce and stuff) and this hobby really helped me to think something else. Furthermore all of you are truly some beautifull artist, who have a strong respect for the powders, pyro is absolutely not somehing that just go "boom" ... In a perfect world I'll go work in a pyro manufacture.

Again thanks you for all the things I've learn, thanks you for all the safety tips, all the free time you helped me. This is not lost, in my turn i've helped some peoples to get green with this hobbys. this forum must live ! Once you smell the smoke... ^_^

Stay green guys, enjoy the fact that it's legal in your country, when I can't sleep I think of you doing some super convention and pyro meetings sharing all your knoweldge together, free :)

Je reviendrai !

warm greetings from France,

Yves-Marie

Edited by yvariro

Yves! That's sad! I hope you find an opportunity to get back into pyro. It's truly an 'addiction'!

I wish you well while you sort-out the rest of life.

Lloyd

Finally had some spare cash to help out sorry it took so long and I hope to donate more when I can.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge

I just made a donation using paypal... where was I supposed to put my name??

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing its been a couple weeks now i sure hope you recevied my donation and i sent it right i have had no confirmation that you got my donation however im sure your quite busy and i have faith that you have received the cash as token of my appreciation for all the hard work and all the friendly conversation and skills i have learned here thanks APC

My apologies, once again real life intruded, and the last month has been just crazy.

Grateful thank to our newest donators: PeyetPyro, Baldur, yvariro, insutama, Woodchopa, Tim1877, Skysurfer, RiderX, irkacek, TheChemist, and straydog, and repeat donators helix, rcmanic and Bobosan.

We also got two donations from people who did not provide their forum name, and their donation email does not match what they use here.

One was using an email address that starts with "tadd", and another one using an address starting with "Matp".

Please PM me if that was you, so I can get you credited as a donator.

My apologies, once again real life intruded, and the last month has been just crazy.

Grateful thank to our newest donators: PeyetPyro, Baldur, yvariro, insutama, Woodchopa, Tim1877, Skysurfer, RiderX, irkacek, TheChemist, and straydog, and repeat donators rcmanic and Bobosan.

my first donation didnt include my forum name wasnt a big deal though

Edited by RiderX

Shame on you. Apologizing for having a life. You are the envy of the forum, and do THAT?

Hope the "crazy" has been good things. Summer related, good things, even.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
DesertCatUSN donated $10 more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I completely support this forum and the work that the admins do but I am wondering why the home page gets updated so infrequently? We are currently 67% through the year but the page reads 58% which seems a bit odd. It would just be good to know what the current situation is as that clock is at present 48 Days behind.

Regards, AP

Dear Admin....

How do I go about getting my status changed to "Donator"? I made a contribution when I signed up for full membership but at that time had no idea that I needed to include my user name in the PayPal transaction. It's no big deal but I would like to be displayed as a donator if possible. If you need verification of my donation, please contact me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks