APC Forum

Fence Post Prime

tentacles

The silicon metal which is used in pyro actually gives off a lot of heat when it burns, as well as turning to slag. Borax would not, so far as I am aware, add any heat to the combustion, so it's not the same, however you may find that the slag produced by it is nonetheless useful for lighting things.

semour , it was just a random thought. in gold recovery it works well. it produces a hard glass where the impurities end up. it would be great if it worked for fireworks. i think i will give it try.

memo

the gold sinks to the bottom, the borax glass is on top. gold is very heavy, glass not so much.

memo

• 1 year later...

In gold recovery the borax is used as a flux in the melt. I would think it would be more a consumer of heat than a producer or augmenter. It may produce a little boric acid? Also borax is sodium borate. I'm still a noob and have no idea if a little sodium in a prime would cause color problems, but I plan on minimizing variables such as sodium... best laid plans and all. :P

• 7 months later...
I wonder if the Aquaperl powder I use in my pool filter instead of diatomaceous earth, can be used here as a DE substitute here as well? Under a microscope it looks like tiny broken glass spheres. Apparently, it's crushed volcanic pumice or perlite. Aquaperl. Hmmm.

Worth a shot. I feel it's mostly to add a rough surface to the prime. The veline style super prime uses wood meal for this same purpose.

Paul Moulder sent me a package of DE and it is enough to last me for years. I couldn't find a small quantity for sale here so I basically had dirt shipped from Thailand!

• Like 1