APC Forum

Salute Cannons

persut

we just add a bunch of salute cannons to our site. check them out they are very loud.

http://www.pyrodirect.com/ccp0-catshow/SaluteCannons.html

MODERATOR NOTE:

Those are called "Salute Cannons" but it is important to note that they use BLACK POWDER.

(I can just picture some idiot trying to use flash in one of these.... *shudder* )

And since this is a real "specialty item" its posting here, instead of The Agora, will be allowed. No more advertising, though.

Edited by TheSidewinder

• 3 years later...

Has anyone played with salute cannons/thundermugs?

I purchased one online and had a machinist friend make me 5 more. They are about 5.50" high 3.25" O.D. 1.75" I.D. the wall is .75" thick and it sits on a 6" square welded base.

My first attempt I loaded 2 teaspoons of goex FFG blackpowder stuffed some newspaper down on top and lit the fuse. All I got was a mild pop. The next test I loaded about 3 1/2 teasponns of FFg and rammed a few more pieces of paper and got a better pop, but still just a pop.

Reading the forum at the vendors website folks seem to be using more BP, ramming more paper and even taping over the BP/newspaper.

Anyone have any experience with these thundermugs? Suggestions?

Pressure makes shit happen. When I want a hellacious boom from my cannon, I alternate between wet and dry wadding. Wet doesn't mean dripping water. Damp newspaper, green grass/weeds, whatever is handy. The damp material compresses better and tends to form a "seal" to create a pressure buildup. Edited by OneEyeCharlie

• 3 weeks later...
I have heard of folks using modeling clay as a plug to obtain a nice boom out of a thundermug. I'd be careful with wet paper plugs , you may want to saranwrap your bp charge and when you side fuse the mug, make the fuse run under the plastic bag all the way, to insure ignition. One layer of twisted up bp in saran will burn up completely. At worst your fuse fails and you dont have a wasted charge. Edited by pyrojig

Whoops. Good point. I neglected to mention that I use pre-measured charges in sealed Al foil tubes. Once my cannon is "loaded", a sharpened brass rod inserted through the touch hole pierces the tube and then visco is inserted. I apologize for any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen on the Discovery Channel on the show Pawn Stars if I recall and someone loading it with foam cut to shape for the barrel and it being a fairly tight fit. It made a hell of a boom. 2smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I also have a thunder mug and have a great time with it. i use 4 xxx goex depends on the bang you want. 4 teaspoons 4f goex then i either seal with a cardbord disk cut a little bigger than the ID. press with drill press or use rubber mallet and a wooden dowel 3 or 4 good wacks then another disk, re-press light fuse get away ! another great seal is foam bobbers for fishing, just sand off a little till it almost goesin ,then press the rest of the way. have fun be safe!

btw, I have loaded this with flash over 1/2 full and it really woke the neibours ! you can't destroy it ! had it 3 years and hundreads of shots not a mark on it !

Has anyone played with salute cannons/thundermugs?

I purchased one online and had a machinist friend make me 5 more. They are about 5.50" high 3.25" O.D. 1.75" I.D. the wall is .75" thick and it sits on a 6" square welded base.

My first attempt I loaded 2 teaspoons of goex FFG blackpowder stuffed some newspaper down on top and lit the fuse. All I got was a mild pop. The next test I loaded about 3 1/2 teasponns of FFg and rammed a few more pieces of paper and got a better pop, but still just a pop.

Reading the forum at the vendors website folks seem to be using more BP, ramming more paper and even taping over the BP/newspaper.

Anyone have any experience with these thundermugs? Suggestions?

Guess I need to clarify. I have the medium thunder mug, It was tested in the desert in AZ ,at 1/4 mi away for saftey. we wanted to see if flash would have any effect. 1144 solid steel stock bored to 1/14 ID> with 2.5 OD. 4 1/4"tall

1/2 full of flash. NO visible signs of any damage. didn't even tip over ! drove the 4" plate it's welded to about 1' in to ground. VERY LOUD even at 1/4 mi. away. We also had a freind at a stell mill do a scan and found no internal. I do not recomend using flash powder at any time. But for a all around fun LOUD signal cannon this is the real deal when loaded and fired safetly.

• 1 year later...

I recently built this cannon. Had the barrel machined but everything else is my creation. I am hoping to eventually launch exploding mortars from it.

I also own a "Big Daddy" thunder mug. Love the thing. 1500 grains of ffg black powder creates one hell of a concussion.

• 4 years later...

Well I can't start a new topic so this is the best spot I could find, I have a mini cannon made with a steel pipe with 1cm thick walls, and it uses flash powder. I have potassium perchlorate and AL powder. Instead of the snappy burn of the 7:3 ratio I used a 50/50 mixture to slow it down a bit and it is stil FAST it booms but im scared im going to die. Should I saturate the potassium even more with the AL powder? thank you. I would really like to know if anyone did the same exact thing.

And I am using an 8th of a teaspoon and it is launching a steel ball bearing 200+ feet with the 50/50 mixture.

Yea you keep doing stuff like that, you will get put to sleep.

• Like 1

Heh! Small stuff! <grin>

We had guns designed to take up to 1oz of flash! And, we SOLD them commercially! <BSEG>

FWIW, I went to a rock concert on which our materials were being shot, and they fired FOUR of those guns from each side of the stage (L&R) in ONE CUE! Yeah... EIGHT ounces of flash in ONE cue.

The downside was, you could barely hear them over the band! They were just a big flash and but a TINY 'thump'! <Another BSEG!>

Lloyd

This sounds like a 12 gauge it is a half inch wide I believe and about 6 inches long. Should I add more AL powder to the oxidizer (Potassium Perchlorate) for a slower burn? or will the mixture just start not to work right? Ill let you know how the 60/40 compares to the 50/50.

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny that someone bumped this thread and mentioned using Flash. Bad idea, the MOD above is CORRECT. While he may be correct in saying he had access to specialized "guns", Flash powder and metal genally don't mix. FFFF BP is pushing it. If you have one of these "thunder mug" style cannons, DO NOT USE FLASH

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well first post by me as I came here looking for some salute cannon ideas, and have to do the obligatory reply before posting a new thread...

In most cases, using flash powder in a salute cannon is a fast track to being awarded the Darwin Award...

Sure there are commercial 'flash pots' with short 'barrels' designed for flash powder and one very well could design a salute cannon with a very robust 'barrel' that could withstand flash power, but in general metal barrels and flash power simply don't mix well and should be avoided...

• 2 years later...
What is the ratio for wall thickness to bore diameter using a strong stainless? Not to hijack thread?