APC Forum

100 shot Z cake

portfire

Here's a 100 shot cake that took over a month to build .

Pre-fire pics

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2470/pic0001fg8.th.jpg http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2919/pic0002zw5.th.jpg

Effects

1'st 10 shots,hummers w/charcoal tail...All fired at once

Then 80 shots with 15mm Chrys#6 w/20% MgAl added and D1 stars

Last 10 shots Ti salutes (KNO3 flash) All fired at once.

Video

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100%20shot%20cake.wmv

Regards

Dean

Well done, it looked very nice. Part of a larger display I assume from the bangs in the background?

Here's a 100 shot cake that took over a month to build .

Pre-fire pics

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2470/pic0001fg8.th.jpg   http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2919/pic0002zw5.th.jpg

Effects

1'st 10 shots,hummers w/charcoal tail...All fired at once

Then 80 shots with 15mm Chrys#6 w/20% MgAl added and D1 stars

Last 10 shots Ti salutes (KNO3 flash) All fired at once.

Video

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100%20shot%20cake.wmv

Regards

Dean

very nice job bro. real clean and pro looking.

i'm thinking of making a cake similar to this and i was hoping to get some advise from you if you can help...

when you fused/built this cake...how did you go about fusing it? did you do it all one row at a time, or did you assemble the entire carcas then fuse it?

was there a single internal fuse which passed fire to each tube, or were the tubes chained together? what speed fuses were used, both for the tubes, and for the internal time fuse (if there was one).

any tips that would help someone new to cake making would also be greatly appreciated.

for my first cake i'd like to dissassemble a few 200 gram cakes, and reconfigure the tubes to work in this fashion...just to get the effect/timing down. but after that i'd be reloading that carcas with my own lift/stars and fusing it.

sorry for all these questions but this is a project i'd like to have finished in time for the 4th. i'd be firing the 200 gram tubes off on memorial day, then getting them re-loaded and ready for the 4th. so time is not at a surpluss with all the other projects i'd like to have finished and ready by then. any help you can give me to speed me along or prevent me from making a common mistake would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

EDIT: would it be possible to re-use this carcas? is there a specific way in which to build a cake like this which would allow the cake to be reusable.

Thanx for your comments guys :)

ST1DinOH-..Each tube is linked with blackmatch, then slightly covered so you get slow-ish QM effect.

The rows can be taken apart and re-fused,then glued back together.The cake didn't preform how i designed it though.

heres how the sequence should have gone

1'st 10-fire at once,then after a 4.5 second delay the cake should have gone into Z mode,then the last 10 shots-fire at once...I didn't cover the cake in foil, and the stars in the next few rows were exposed to sparks from the first 10 shots,which then started a chain reaction (still looked good though)

Anyway,i'll be making a tutorial in the coming days which will answer all your questions,watch this space

Dean

Thanx for your comments guys :)

ST1DinOH-..Each tube is linked with blackmatch, then slightly covered so you get slow-ish QM effect.

The rows can be taken apart and re-fused,then glued back together.The cake didn't preform how i designed it though.

heres how the sequence should have gone

1'st 10-fire at once,then after a 4.5 second delay the cake should have gone into Z mode,then the last 10 shots-fire at once...I didn't cover the cake in foil, and the stars in the next few rows were exposed to sparks from the first 10 shots,which then started a chain reaction (still looked good though)

Anyway,i'll be making a tutorial in the coming days which will answer all your questions,watch this space

Dean

thanks for the quick reply and i'm looking forward to the tutorial.

so this brings up an interesting question...

you saw "slightly covered" BM is that possibly why the first portion fired so quickly (had more confinement and acted as QM) as opposed to the back 1/2 of the cake which went off just like a zipper???

it looks like thats what happened.

i was planning on using some of the very fast yellow visco as the internal time fuse and having that passfire to each tube that will have it's own very short BM fuse ported out of the bottom directly to the lift.

the way i see it this has two potential problems

1. too much side spit from the fast yellow visco resulting in a flash over inside the cake sending it all up too fast.

2. due to the violent nature in which this fuse burns i'd be affraid it would rip free insid and possibly yank the BM out of the tubes or seperate itself from the tubes BM fuse.

if i did it this way the fast yellow is burning at about the speed you'd want to see a fast paced zipper move, about 3 seconds per foot. there are some fast yellows out there which move at 1 second per foot but i think that may be a little faster than i want...haven't quite decided yet.

the basic idea i had was to fuse each row individually as i assemble the frame. get each row prepped and ready with each tube having a secured BM fuse. then run the yellow visco off the roll down the arch making sure to cover over the BM and yellow with something to insulate it from pre-ignition. once the rows were fused i'd take extra care to anchor down the run of visco to prevent it from flopping around whiel burning. add a foil wall to insulate this row from passfire, then i'd bring in the next row and repeat he process.

one row at a time just pulling the run of visco off the roll, and continue till the beast is ready to shoot.

am i close? i've been trying to invision the process and the steps you'd take to make a cake, and make it work right with what i have available.

so how'd i do :D

• 2 years later...
Nice cake man! Looked really proffessional and certainly performed like one. Personally I like my cakes slower, but I loved those hummers!