APC Forum

FAQ

Mumbles

Why can't I start a new thread, download attachments, or view some images??

This is a common problem, actually, and usually for one of two reasons.

The first, is that your account has not been validated. Please check your e-mail account for the validation e-mail. It may have been placed into your spam box as well. Certain spam trappers that require validation from the sender may also not let the validation e-mail through.

The second, and far more common problem, is that you do not have a single post yet. We've suffered from a spam problem here over the past few years, so in September of 2007 we instituted a "one post (reply) before being able to start a new thread" policy into the forum software. This prevented the automated spambots from posting their messages and cluttering our forum. This applies to all new members. Additionally, it is required of all members who registered before September 2007 to post at least once before being allowed to start a thread. The software did not differentiate between existing and non-existing members.

If you're a new registrant, you can introduce yourself in this Topic, which would give you your first post:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/145-introductions/

Why can't I make any post at all, even a reply?

There are a few issues that could cause this.

First, are you sure that you activated your account? You should have recieved an e-mail with a validation link. If you don't validate you cannot post.

Second, are you trying to start a new thread? If so, please see the above issue "I can't start a new thread".

If you are not a new member, did you break any rules or do anything to upset a moderator or administrator? If you can see the forum at all, you are not banned. Check your e-mail, private messages, and recently posted in threads for any information.

If you're still unable to determine the problem, contact a mod and they will be able to help.

When I click on attached images and files, I get a bunch of garbage letters, numbers, and symbols, instead.

This seems to be a problem only with Mozilla Firefox. We are unsure why it happens. Please let us know if other browsers present similar issues, and we can work on a solution. For firefox users, we recomend installing the "IE View" plug in. It allows you to view links in internet explorer. Right click on the thumbnail image, and choose "open link in IE" to properly display the file.

http://ieview.mozdev.org/

Additionally, it is stated that if you right click on the thumbnail, and select "open file" it may work as well without the need for a plugin.

I am interested in fireworks, where should I start reading?

This is a difficult question to answer. There are many different branches within the hobby that one may pursue. A search of the forum or common search engine, such as google, will often provide suitable leads or information toward your request. We suggest reading through various topics on aerial shells, rockets, and the like. Going into the competition section, or the "post videos if you've got 'em" thread in the rocketry section will provide you with excellent video examples of many of the devices. From there you can get a feeling for what you like, and focus your learning. It is likely that the cooler it looks, the more complicated it actually is.

One of the biggest lessons we can't stress enough is to be safety minded. Read about, and understand all precautions that you should be taking. It only takes one accident. Until you get a firm grasp in the field of pyrotechnics, it is highly advisable to run your composition and technique by some of the more senior members here to ensure all bases are covered. If you are bringing up an old thread to ask a relevant question, no one will get mad at you.

Who are these "senior members" you mention?

The list would be very hard to produce. Everyone has their own specialty, and some are a jack-of-all-trades and know a little bit about a lot of things. You will likely be able to pick them out from reading their posts. They will usually come across as very knowledgeable, have higher post counts, and have been members here for considerable amounts of time. Most are very responsive to private messages and e-mails, so do not be afraid to try to contact them for additional help if needed.

What is the "High Explosives" section, and how come I can't read it?

That's 2 questions, really. To answer the first, and pasted directly from the Section description, here is its purpose:

"This section is for experienced members only, who have shown themselves to be mature enough to partake in discussions relating to high explosives." That's straighforward.

The second part of the answer, is that you cannot read it because you don't have access to it. Access is granted to this section on a case by case basis. The topics in this section are serious discussions about High Explosives, and we don't tolerate kewlz, bomb d00dz, or immature individuals. We believe this policy is the safest course for all concerned.

Also, your length of membership and/or number of posts have little to do with whether you will be granted access. You have to prove, through your posts AND your behaviour, that you are mature enough to take part. NO ONE is "automatically" granted access to this section.

If you believe you meet these criteria, and would like access to the HE section, please send a PM to Mumbles.

Why should I use proper grammar and punctuation?

It helps to get your message across as clearly as possible. It also makes you look more mature and responsible.

Common internet abreviations (u, lol, jk, wat, etc) will tend to make you look unintelligent. It also helps to keep the board looking professional, and not populated by a bunch of unintelligent pre-teens.

Using proper grammar and punctuation will only help your cause to make you be treated with the respect and maturity everyone here deserves.

Also, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, it's a matter of common sense. Let's face it, the devices we love to make can be very dangerous in the hands of those who don't know how damaging they can be under the wrong conditions. Posting a "How-to" thread that is full of spelling and grammar errors MIGHT cause someone to make a formula error and lose fingers, eyes, or worse! We want ALL our members to stay healthy!

Why did my thread get locked in the supplier section?

The supplier review section has it's own special set of rules. It was probably locked for one of two reasons. The first is that a thread already exists for the supplier in question. Each supplier gets it's own dedicated thread. More than one would make finding relavent information difficult and be somewhat counter productive.

The second common issue is that your thread was not actually about a specific supplier. The section is not for "where can I get chemical XX?" type of questions.

What is/was the Info Pool, and why can't I access it?

The Info Pool was a section dedicated to preserving the knowledge and "Art" of pyrotechnics gathered over the years. However, due to safety and copyright concerns, this section has been removed indefinitely.

In its place, the "Member Tutorial" section will likely be expanded, and slightly altered, to take its place. We are in negotiations for a dedicated sister site with the tutorials on it. All articles in the new Tutorial section will be reviewed by the Staff before posting in order to insure that the information contained within is safe, and accurate. More details will be given when the site is further developed.

If you wish to submit an article for consideration, please PM Mumbles or TheSidewinder with the details. One of us will contact you to review the materials for approval.

Some pictures are too big for my monitor to display entirely. How can I "fix" this?

The simplest "fix" is to increase the resolution of your desktop, allowing you to see larger pictures completely. We don't have a way to resize pictures automatically, so they are displayed in their native resolution. Please remember that detailed (and therefore large) pictures are often needed to properly illustrate something the poster is describing.

Are there any size restrictions, with respect to posted pictures?

We don't have a fixed size restriction for pictures.

HOWEVER, attached images must be relevant and useful. Posting a huge picture of something, when a small copy of the same would work just as well, is frowned upon. We only ask that you use common sense when posting. Posts which violate this concept will be edited as the Staff sees fit.

Why can't I download any files?

See the first entry. You must be a full member to do so.

Edited by Mumbles

Please, if there is anything else you feel should be included, post here, or PM a mod. We will discuss the best answer to your question, and include it should we find it relavent.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to the "regulars", and anyone reading this for the first time:

This FAQ is a work in progress. More info will be added as needed. Please check this post at least every week or so. The Staff wants all users to be informed about what's going on here and we believe this is the best way to do so.

FAQ REVISED 22-January-2008

All user suggestions to date have been incorporated. As Mumbles said, please post here with anything you feel should be included.

Thank you.

Edited by TheSidewinder

• 4 months later...

To: ADMINS or WHOM MAY CONCERN

Thing I am confused about is...consider this to be the best pyro forum out there..>well you use alot of things in pyro ..BP....stars comps...so on and so on....well one thing 99% people use is FP so I was curious to the fact on why it cant be discussed here!? EX. the safe practices of it , ways to make safer mixtures so on and so on substitutions and what not. or discussing PERSONAL EXPERIENCES OR PROCEDURES or typical usage of it. Of course not in a manner to make foolish devices....that are very dangerous and not very rewarding visually! Thanks!

We've been discussing that for a bit lately. In the past it had been allowed more or less openly. It was then moved to the HE section. I am personally fine with it as long as it is done in a responsible and mature manner, something we are sort of transitioning too. I have to go through the forum and gather all the flash posts from the HE section though. I'll talk to Thesidewinder about it soon, and try to get stuff figured out exactly.

I also think you over estimate the use of flash. You will find that a majority of the respected people in the hobby actually do their best to stay away from it if they can. For someone who has yet to make good black powder, using flash should be way off for you.

• 2 months later...

I removed one section from the FAQ today.

Thanks to our upgrade, "Report Post" is now functional.

If you see an inappropriate post or reply, please use the "Report" button located at the bottom of the Member info box, right next to the "Top" button.

Thank you.

• 2 years later...

I am a new member & I can not view Gallery or pictures. I get a message "You have reached your bandwidth limit and can not view this image gallery or pictures".

I can not find an answer in FAQ's............

I am a new member & I can not view Gallery or pictures. I get a message "You have reached your bandwidth limit and can not view this image gallery or pictures".

I can not find an answer in FAQ's............

you will now be fine a security feature is to not allow "new members" to do this once you have made one post you become a "full member"

P.s. just a little FYI fancy/large/bold/multi colored font gets annoying fast

you will now be fine a security feature is to not allow "new members" to do this once you have made one post you become a "full member"

P.s. just a little FYI fancy/large/bold/multi colored font gets annoying fast

Colorist.

• 1 year later...

i get the error "You have reached your bandwidth limit and can not view this image" when i try to watch vids or pictures

ohh nvm i see that it should fix if u post once

Edited by Baazis

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,I made my first post before I knew that was the rule however I still cannot create a thread and the thread is going to be a WIP of my own visco fuse machine with the exact instructions to create it,plus it will be made from PVC and ABS for the simplest machining and also easy to replicate and machine the required parts.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ jinan332

First and foremost start by reading - and pay attention to the safety section, it is the very first thing that you will need in your quest about fire works.

Some chemicals just don't mix and can harm you.

As for the first post you have made, well I do not believe that this is the best topic forum that you should have started here in this thread (FAQ), there are some other areas that would be much better. Again read the other topics that are in the different threads of this forum. IMHO it would have been better to have made this statement in the newbie area and wait for a reply there...................Pat

Edited by patsroom

reply to this topic ,thanks :wub:

The topic in this thread has nothing to do with firework or the making of the same. What this thread is trying to do is to clearly explain why someone may not be able to post or start a new topic with some of the common problems that a person may come across.

Now I did as you asked and reply to this topic, but I think it is not the answer you were wanting to hear.

As soon as you start reading the subject of a thread you will soon learn what it is posted about.

Now if you want to learn firework making- start reading there is a lot of information that is contained in this forum............ :) Pat

Edited by patsroom

I found this thread a bit discriminatory towards young people. I find myself being immature sometimes as do most people but it doesn't effect my ability to conduct myself professionally and safely. Thanks.

I understand all of this and it's not only about maturity but experience. Back then there was a good wiki with tutorial which was incredibly accurate, I'haven't explored the forum yet but i hope there is a full describe section on black powder basics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soloflight,

There are plenty of websites with info on R-candy.

Scott Fintel has some really good tutorials and videos that may help you.

You should have no problem finding a hundred more sites with plenty of reading materials.

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/propellants.htm

Black Powder rockets are almost easier to make then R-candy rockets.

You can make your black powder in a small ballmill and not have the fuel in an open skillet in front of you.

If you have a hydraulic press whistle rockets are also easy to make with good tooling.

Whistle fuel can be made in a plastic baggie in a liquid form and then dried out which is quite safe if you follow directions.

Have fun with your new interest make sure you follow safe guards when working with these fuels.

All of these materials can cause burns and explosions and a life time of regrets.

Read and follow directions and beware of youtube videos that show poor manufacturing practices.

Many materials are static sensitive and or easily ignited from heat, sparks, friction and flame.

Try to limit your information resources to experienced, established, reputable websites.

There are plenty of reputable websites linked to the hobby rocket associations.