APC Forum

buy sulfur at a store?

The-T

Yes, it will work fine. I believe on Jackerypyro it states that sometimes the other 10% depending on what it is can be used as the binder for making the BP pulverone.

Most of the time as long as the sulfur is yellow and is a powder it should work just fine.

flowers of sulfur is no good you want flour

Why is flowers of sulphur not recomended? I searched the forum and could not find answer. \ searching google says it might be self ignigte. is this true?

thanks

IIRC, it has the highest acid content of the available sulfurs. Which in turn has the highest probability of unexpected ignition.

Now this is where I definitley don't want to be considered an end all source on this, but I think it directly matters when dealing with chlorates.

I believe deadman is correct.

"Sulfur Flour" is powdered sulfur, acid content varies. Mumbles' talks about rubbermakers sulfur in another post, and that's supposed to be as low-acid as you can get.

"Flowers of Sulfur" is (from what I've read) a high-acid content sulfur, and purity can vary widely. The acid causes a variety of problems.

You want Sulfur Flour, not Flowers of Sulfur.

Flowers of sulfur, whether in a powdered form or not, is formed by sublimation. I suppose "purified" by sublimation is a better term for it. While in the vapor phase it reacts with oxygen to a small degree in the atomosphere inside the sublminator, and forms SO2 and SO3. These two are gases and get trapped inside the sulfur crystals. When coming in contact with water the two gases make Sulfurous and sulfuric acid respectively. This high acidity leads to compatibility problems, specifically with chlorates, but sensitizes other mixtures as well.

You can try to powder the product and wash in a basic solution, but this wont be completely effective.

Thanks mumbles,sidewinder and deadman.

I was given a 1lb of flowers of sulphur powder and I was making 100g batches of black powder. I made a lift , a typical and the standard. just to see how the differant burns were. All worked well for me. I ball milled them for 4 hrs total time. added 6% water by weight after and milled for another hour. sieved and let dry before testing.

Just a word of notice for anyone that wants it. Tom Nielson is selling the good sulfur for an extremely good price on the Passfire market page.

PURE SULFUR POWDER FOR SALE

Low acid powdered sulfur flour. Over 99% pure

Prices INCLUDES SHIPPING to any USA address.

EMAIL me tjniesen@hotmail.com Paypal uses same address. I also accept snail $$ mail

10 lbs $29.00

20 lbs $48.00

30 lbs $65.00

Limited supplies

My 20 lbs is enroute...

Plus my girlfriend told me my 20 lbs of Red Alder charcoal arrived! Now I just need to get the hell out of Vancouver and go home and mill up some stuff...