• Please log in to reply
4742 replies to this topic

#4541 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

Here's a photo of the electrodes before the Teflon stabilizing spacers were added:

Attached File  IMGP8054.JPG   61.84KB   0 downloads

This view is looking down from the top. The PVDF pipe (main tank body) slides down over the electrodes and is surrounded by the PVC pipes covering the threaded tie rods. The main tank body is clamped between the top and bottom PVDF plates, with Viton gaskets sealing the gaps between them.

I'll show more later.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 05 January 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#4542 greenlight

greenlight

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:12 AM

Looking good WSM...
and thankyou for your answer.
I will use the same diameter cable for the whole setup

Edited by greenlight, 03 January 2017 - 05:13 AM.

#4543 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Looking good WSM...
and thankyou for your answer.
I will use the same diameter cable for the whole setup

It's beginning to come together. It's taking time because part of my work is outdoors and we've been having rainy weather more often lately. We'll see how soon I can get the system completed and running.

You're welcome. I hope everything works out for you.

WSM B)

#4544 greenlight

greenlight

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Good luck to you too.
We have the opposite problem here. Too hot to do any work in the day as my workshop is a large metal shed and doesn't cool down til late at night.
Will update when it is all wired together.

Edited by greenlight, 03 January 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#4545 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

Good luck to you too.
We have the opposite problem here. Too hot to do any work in the day as my workshop is a large metal shed and doesn't cool down til late at night.
Will update when it is all wired together.

What part of the world are you in, greenlight?

WSM B)

#4546 greenlight

greenlight

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Australia WSM.

#4547 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Australia WSM.

G'day.

Yeah, it's probably too hot during the day there (this time of year anyway).

Which territory? I have a cousin who lives in Queensland, if I'm not mistaken.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 04 January 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#4548 greenlight

greenlight

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Yeah its 42 degrees C during the day here at the moment.
Its a struggle to store chems in summer and I have to store stars and other compositions in a seperate cool area.
The nights are nice though.

I will message you location.

#4549 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Yeah its 42 degrees C during the day here at the moment.
Its a struggle to store chems in summer and I have to store stars and other compositions in a seperate cool area.
The nights are nice though.
I will message you location.

That sounds like a dry area. Drying stars must be easy. I suppose using your workshop at night during the Summer would be best.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 04 January 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#4550 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

I mentioned the PTFE (Teflon) sheet to cover the steel base of the new experimental cell. Years ago, a kind friend gave me several feet of thin, white Teflon sheet in a small roll, for use to cut stars on and easy cleanup afterward. This material is roughly one foot wide and several feet long by about 0.030" thick.

A couple days ago, I cut a piece of it just long enough to cover the top of the steel base plate (to protect it from the corrosive effects of the electrolyte). The plan is to disassemble the complete cell assembly, cut matching holes in the Teflon sheet, place it over the black steel plate and reassemble the whole arrangement.

I also plan to cover the exposed stainless threaded rod under the cell and above the base plate, to protect the tubing and hardware from the sharp threads of the all-thread rods.

I still need to drill and tap holes in the PVDF top plate of the cell for compatible fittings and ports required for the proper operation of this cell arrangement.

The weather isn't cooperating at the moment, but hopefully the weekend will afford me the opportunity to make more progress on this project.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 05 January 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#4551 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I mentioned the PTFE (Teflon) sheet to cover the steel base of the new experimental cell. Years ago, a kind friend gave me several feet of thin, white Teflon sheet in a small roll, for use to cut stars on and easy cleanup afterward. This material is roughly one foot wide and several feet long by about 0.030" thick.

A couple days ago, I cut a piece of it just long enough to cover the top of the steel base plate (to protect it from the corrosive effects of the electrolyte). The plan is to disassemble the complete cell assembly, cut matching holes in the Teflon sheet, place it over the black steel plate and reassemble the whole arrangement.

I also plan to cover the exposed stainless threaded rod under the cell and above the base plate, to protect the tubing and hardware from the sharp threads of the all-thread rods.

I still need to drill and tap holes in the PVDF top plate of the cell for compatible fittings and ports required for the proper operation of this cell arrangement.

The weather isn't cooperating at the moment, but hopefully the weekend will afford me the opportunity to make more progress on this project.

WSM B)

I took some time after work today, disassembled the cell and added the Teflon sheet to the base plate to protect the steel from corrosive fluids.

I also took two photos as I was reassembling the cell, showing the covered steel base plate and the electrode assembly and also the cell body dropping over the electrodes as it was going back together.

Attached File  IMGP8056.JPG   86.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMGP8057.JPG   77.91KB   0 downloads

I still need to drill and tap ports on the lid of the cell for fittings, et cetera; but it'll no longer require me to completely disassemble the cell (only the top portion of it).

I expect the Kynar fittings I ordered to arrive within a week and I can populate the cell with some of those fittings and ready the cell for operation. I still need to test the cell for leaks. Hopefully there are none.

This is getting exciting...

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 06 January 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#4552 pyrojig

pyrojig

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

Holy cats!!!!! That is beautiful!!!!!! I can't believe how far the thread moves in just a few days . You guys are amazing!! Please keep upvthe good work .

#4553 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

Holy cats!!!!! That is beautiful!!!!!! I can't believe how far the thread moves in just a few days . You guys are amazing!! Please keep upvthe good work .

The cooler weather seems to encourage progress  :)!!! 

WSM B)

#4554 PTFE

PTFE

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Elektrochemistry, high voltage stuff

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:33 AM

Yes, this looks pretty nice WSM ;)

I just got my PbO2 Sample from qixinti today and want to show it too you.

Attached File  15940493_1831385620465035_6255690037075857060_n.jpg   19.11KB   0 downloads

The coating is really thick.. something about 1,5-3mm and i tryed some different types to break of a little of the coating but i failed.. there is no way to crumble down.

When i holded it in my hands the first time, i was amazed, how heavy it is. Nothing, than PbO2 will be that heavy.

i payed 16$ for shippment via DHL Xpress ant the anode was 30$.

hope you will get interessted in that company.

Greetings, PTFE

#4555 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

That looks like a great electrode.  Please keep us updated on how it works PTFE!  Are you planning to do any washing or pre-treatment before use?  I know some electrodes come with sort of a dull brown residue on them which can be removed with a dilute HCl soak.  

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#4556 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Yes, this looks pretty nice WSM ;)

I just got my PbO2 Sample from qixinti today and want to show it too you.

attachicon.gif15940493_1831385620465035_6255690037075857060_n.jpg

The coating is really thick.. something about 1,5-3mm and i tryed some different types to break of a little of the coating but i failed.. there is no way to crumble down.

When i holded it in my hands the first time, i was amazed, how heavy it is. Nothing, than PbO2 will be that heavy.

i payed 16$ for shippment via DHL Xpress ant the anode was 30$.

hope you will get interessted in that company.

Greetings, PTFE

That's a nice looking LD anode. I emailed them weeks ago and have heard nothing from them yet.

I look forward to the results of you using that anode. It should work nicely.

WSM B)

#4557 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

That looks like a great electrode.  Please keep us updated on how it works PTFE!  Are you planning to do any washing or pre-treatment before use?  I know some electrodes come with sort of a dull brown residue on them which can be removed with a dilute HCl soak.

PTFE is showing a photo of a new lead dioxide anode from China, and it should require no pre-treatment before use.The treatment with HCl is usually done with surplus MMO stock, as supplied by eBay sellers such as laserred, not with new anode material (whether MMO or another type).  

If PTFE has a supply of sodium chlorate, he could immediately start to produce sodium perchlorate with a solution of it using that anode and convert the perchlorate solution to potassium perchlorate with KCl solution (after destroying residual chlorates in the electrolyte). 

I hope I hear from that company. If so, I might buy a few of the LD anodes to test.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 09 January 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#4558 taiwanluthiers

taiwanluthiers

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

I would like to buy a few as well...

#4559 memo

memo

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:gold mining, now fireworking

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

me too

#4560 PTFE

PTFE

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Elektrochemistry, high voltage stuff

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hey guys, nice to got so much response. :)

I purchased them via Alibaba.com and they will give you a fast reply usually..

https://bjqixinti.en.alibaba.com/

I dont know if you are familiar with alibaba, but it is not that difficult.

Just sign in and start a chat with the trader and ask for a customized anode or a sample if you are pleased with 100x100mm.

They also provide titanium sheets and i think also screws, washers and nuts made from titanium, so everything you need can you get from one trader.

I need to get my little MMO cell started to make some high concentrated NaClO3 solution to preper an other cell with the PbO2 but i think i will need some weeks, since i have some work to do atm.

Sadly i only got several grams of KclO3 but no NaClO3 because i always did a entire conversion.

maybe you dont get a response from the suplyer, because Mr. Feng has left the company and another is doing his job.. maybe its another email now.. but try it via alibaba it will be the best way i think...

Hopefully you will all get provided in the future, ^_^

PTFE

EDIT: When you like to purchase a customized anode, give them your quantity and a drawing with your request and you will get a price immediately, maybe ask for a door to door service too.

Edited by PTFE, 09 January 2017 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users