APC Forum

To make good pulverone

superspike23

Hello all,

I have try to carry out pulverone on the basis of my BP and adding 1/10 dextrin to it.

I have humidify the mixture but it gives a ball.

Does somebody have a good method to carry out the pulverone?

Moisten it a bit, pack it into a ball with your hands, it should stay together just a bit, then grate it through a window screen as if you were grating cheese through a cheese grater.

ok it is thus a good thing to obtain a ball hard of BP? I it rape then?

No you don't rape it, you grate it.

I love it when posts make me literally laugh.

Yes a ball will work for what you are doing. If it is dry and hard you may want to break it up and start over. It's going to still have a lot of moisture on the inside if it was a decent sized sphere, so you can't use it as a pressed puck and just break it apart.

lol thank you translation google mdr

I have just put in my mill has ball 75g kno3 15g charcoal 10 G sulphur and 10 G dextrin

I let turn 8 hours

after advise me to be obtained best the pulverone?

There isn't much to it. After it has run for 8 hours or if it isn't the greatest mill 16 hours, just wet press it through a window screen. Maybe even a lower mesh if one is available and seperate the two.

5% dextrin should work better than 10%... alot of people use less or none.

Indeed 5% dextrin will give good a good hard binding of the ingredients. I recomend 5% rather then 10, as it will just slow the mix down, and it may start suffering from other problems.

I would also advise this: wet the mix until it takes work to press it through the sieve. You should get longer wormlike pieces. The wetter you make it the better it will hold together after it dries. It should however not be so wet that it clumps back together under the screen or on the drying tray. Alyways keep extra dry comp out in case of overwetting!

THE quote of the century.

Mom: What the heck are you doing?

Me: Oh I am just raping some of this black powder I am making :D ;)

But seriously 10% dextrin is total overkill, 4% works best for me.

I found, that using a cheese grater works realy good and effotrless rather than a sieve, which requires much more force. Also add a drop of alcohol to the wetting mix, it will mix with BP much easier due to surface tension being broken.

I made some pulverone today. To me pulverone is just granulate green meal that I use as a filler in my can shells.

Anyway, when I did it, I weighed the comp after I wet it, and I got around 33% water. I don't know how that will compare with you. Starting with 20%, so 20g or mL will probably be a good starting point. Adding a splash of alcohol will help out as well. After you add the water, you have to work it with your hands(gloves are nice here) to distribute the water. Go until it's all the same wetness. It should be about the consistancy of stiff dough. It should be able to hold itself together when squeezed.

You might want to set about 10 or 20g off to the side incase you over wet it, which is easy the first time.

A spray bottle is also wise for adding the water, you can add it evenly and dose in small amounts.

• 10 years later...

LOL ... I resume this thread after 10 years and two weeks ... cobwebs everywhere, LOL :P

Pulverone and milled black powder are two different things, right?

While the first is a raw compound that burn slow, the second is fluffy and more reactive, for what I understood.

I have airfloat pine charcoal, fine sulphur and raw potassium nitrate without anticaking in a clump state.

If I add 5% dextrin, shake the compound in a container without milling it, and follow the above mentioned procedure,

can I obtain a slow burning granulated BP, so called Pulverone?

I need to create slow burning BP to make decent stars.

In the unwanted scenario that the granulated BP burn too fast, there is the possibility to add something to slow down the combustion without creating too much residual slag?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi