3 replies to this topic

#1 RiderX

RiderX

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

can these safely be cut in half?, id like to stick them to some shells as a rising effect , but the burn time is to long 

#2 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

Strobes tend to be more on the sensitive side of things, so be careful if you attempt it.

The composition is just a barium nitrate/magnalium/sulfur strobe most likely if you wanted to try to make your own.  They do tend to be kind of slow burning.  Also, they tend not to be great as rising effects to be totally honest.  The shell spinning while rising can already sometimes give a strobe effect with solid color rising effects.  Using a strobe star combined with the spinning can lead to a very irregular effect.  They might be better if several were attached to a trailing rope.    There are some more strobey glitters as an alternative.  Winokur 20 has almost no tail to speak of, especially at low speeds.

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#3 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

I put a strobe pots on rockets and got no strobing effect. Looked more like a white star on the ones that didn't go out. Some made a round trip though they were only ½"  "square" cylinders.

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#4 RiderX

RiderX

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

Strobes tend to be more on the sensitive side of things, so be careful if you attempt it.

The composition is just a barium nitrate/magnalium/sulfur strobe most likely if you wanted to try to make your own.  They do tend to be kind of slow burning.  Also, they tend not to be great as rising effects to be totally honest.  The shell spinning while rising can already sometimes give a strobe effect with solid color rising effects.  Using a strobe star combined with the spinning can lead to a very irregular effect.  They might be better if several were attached to a trailing rope.    There are some more strobey glitters as an alternative.  Winokur 20 has almost no tail to speak of, especially at low speeds.

I put a strobe pots on rockets and got no strobing effect. Looked more like a white star on the ones that didn't go out. Some made a round trip though they were only ½"  "square" cylinders.

maybe ill try winkor 20 then , i figured it might be worth a shot since those strobes are 6 for a buck , and if i cut them in half id get 12 pieces to try  , but ill pass on trying them 

what would be really cool , would be an  on - off - on -off  streamer like TT , and im pretty sure i know how to accomplish that , but pretty sure that would require a rolled star/comet, though i guess it could also be carefully pressed , basically leaving a dotted red  line in the sky 

Edited by RiderX, 13 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users