APC Forum

Can this tumbler be used as a ball mill?

redbullzuiper

Hi everybody,

I was looking for a bigger Ball mill or tumbler, and found this one on a website for just $80.

I was however wondering if this tumbler can be used as a ball mill. It is sold as tumbler and polishing machine. So I though, because the lortones are also sold as polishing machines, this one would function the same.

71f3KEqf7QL._SY355_.jpg

Frankford Quik-N-EZ 220V.

Richard

Edited by redbullzuiper

Unfortunately Richard that type of tumbler can't be used. That kind of tumbler just vibrates the content around where as we need one that spins using the force of gravity to accelerate the media and powder the chemicals. If you live in the USA I believe you can get a cheap (But rubbish) rotary tumbler from 'Harbor Freight'. Do some more research and you should soon find a good mill or even just make one yourself.

Regards, AP

Edited by AustralianPyromaniac

@AustralianPyromaniac,

Thanks for the info. Ill search for another then.

@OldMarine,

Ouf .. thats a huge one lol. I might buy that. It will be awesome bulk blackpowder production. Thanks for the link.

I just bought that same one off eBay today can't wait to get it so I can try it out.

I outgrew it and bought a Rebel mill from Caleb which will do 25oz at a time and only takes 2 hours to do it. The Hobfir mill will need to run approx 4 hours and will do right around 16oz at a time. Make sure you buy or make hardened lead media or get some good ceramic. Good media helps for sure!

EDIT: DaveF has had good luck using stainless steel media. You may want to ask him what he uses since it's substantially cheaper than the others I mentioned.

Edited by OldMarine

I ordered my hardened lead media today as well thanks for posting the run time for the mill.

I ordered my hardened lead media today as well thanks for posting the run time for the mill.

I need to add: Unless you cook your own charcoal you may want to dry it before milling. I spent lots of time trying to get my KNO3 dry to prevent clumping in my mill until someone suggested it might be the charcoal. Since I've been oven drying my charcoal or using freshly cooked coal I have not had a black snowball in the mill jar.

I made 1000g at a time in the hobbyfir mill in 4hr. Different charcoals will have different densities and thus optimal loading densities. It easily handles about as much as a rebel 17 though.

The largest I have made so far in my hobfir was 500g this year (up north for a week in July). Took a bit over 4 hours, but I was short a bit on the lead as I left the second bag of balls at home by accident. I used cedar pet bedding charcoal, still in it's flaky state without pre-grinding and it worked just fine.

It is a great and reliable mill that works as is.

One note, keep it exactly level or the jar will slide to one end or the other, both scraping the paint off the jar and slowing it down slightly from the friction (increases run time/runs motor needlessly).

The largest I have made so far in my hobfir was 500g this year (up north for a week in July). Took a bit over 4 hours, but I was short a bit on the lead as I left the second bag of balls at home by accident. I used cedar pet bedding charcoal, still in it's flaky state without pre-grinding and it worked just fine.

It is a great and reliable mill that works as is.

One note, keep it exactly level or the jar will slide to one end or the other, both scraping the paint off the jar and slowing it down slightly from the friction (increases run time/runs motor needlessly).

May ask what size and how many lead balls you use in this mill?

These are the balls I have, not sure how many are in the mill as I bought a bunch and just eyeball the half full status.

http://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p27/10_lb_Lead_Ball_Mill_Media.html

If I remember to count them before packing away for the winter I will post here but it will not be the number used for BP, only the number used to mill charcoal.

I discovered today it takes about 1000 .5 inch lead balls to fill up my drum.