APC Forum

Star Roller

Star_Roller

I commented on this video on YouTube but I'll do it here as well. Great job!

Do you have any problems with the stars cracking as they hit the bolts or anything? I would think it might be a problem, but they may not have enough force to do any damage.

I commented on this video on YouTube but I'll do it here as well. Great job!

Thanks!

Do you have any problems with the stars cracking as they hit the bolts or anything? I would think it might be a problem, but they may not have enough force to do any damage.

No i haven't any problem,but i put a wood at the bottom for more angle.If i have any problem,i will remove the wood and the stars will not hit on the bolts.

Edited by pyrogeorge

Consistent size can.be achieved simply by running your hand into the stars as there rolling they wont break apart and a very large amount of the stars will be very similar in size. It helps keep the same stars from getting the comp everytime you add a scoop full.

D

• 2 weeks later...
Just watch out for that threaded bolt when using your hand to sift stars while rolling . Might lead to some nasty gashes 2blink.gif

Here is my star roller I can chang the angle whith to bolts on the back and I can lean it ahead so the stars just roll out I run it at 70 rpm

bob

post-12936-0-89274900-1334629184_thumb.jpg

Here is my star roller I can chang the angle whith to bolts on the back and I can lean it ahead so the stars just roll out I run it at 70 rpm

bob

Nice roller bob. I'm not a big fan of the battery powered drill. I would probably use one with a cord for longevity (batteries die eventually) but I like the rest of the design. The fact you can tilt it forward or backwards just seems like a genius idea. I'll have to steal that one.

yea the battery drill is not the best but all I have are cordless drills

here are some close op pictures the seconed picture is of the angle sistem I just turn the bolts and the bucket goes up or down

it can roll four houndred stars to half inch

bob

post-12936-0-83178400-1334703566_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-18481200-1334703600_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-76276300-1334703618_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob

• 1 year later...

some updates :) http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1607/image052y.jpghttp://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1114/image054fc.jpghttp://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3457/image053xn.jpgNext time i will roll stars :) :)

Very very nice.

Motor specification please??

Nice tutorial. .:-)

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to have a large capacity star roller, look for catering stock pots, I've seen 24" stock pots with a depth of 18" and they will take some serious filling. As for a motor I would recommend an electric cement mixer motor; high torque and lowish rpm's

If you want a decent motor for a star roller, Ned recommends this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-1725-RPM-TEFC-110V-220V/G2528

I will be voiding the use of my corded drill roller as it has been pointed out to me that it is rather unsafe. I will be investing in Ned's stealth modded project which runs up to $500.

For average hobbiest (the one who doesn't make kilos and kilos of stars) I would recomend a small wiper motor or a wheelchair motor for the star roller. monsterguts.com has wiper motor and power supply for les than $50

For average hobbiest (the one who doesn't make kilos and kilos of stars) I would recomend a small wiper motor or a wheelchair motor for the star roller. monsterguts.com has wiper motor and power supply for les than $50

Stars are easier to roll in large batches, so it may be a worthy investment that will last you years and years of reliability and durability to get something a little more larger.

Stars are easier to roll in large batches, so it may be a worthy investment that will last you years and years of reliability and durability to get something a little more larger.

Good point, but I still think that a good wheelchair motor would do (at least for me) :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Use what you got as long it's not a drill. It's to hard to regulate the speed with a drill. I used a wind sheild wiper motor and a battery charger and i am happy.

Edited by dynomike1

I've seen a few star rollers and been horrified by the sparky commutator motors. They could so easily ignite dust in the air. Most of the time of course the material in the bowl is wet, but a slip or a trip with a scoop of dry powder could put you in hospital. The only truly safe motors would be AC induction or DC brushless, though a fully enclosed wiper motor would also be safe. The absolute worst would be a series wound, ventilated, AC commutator motor like an electric drill, though that's what a lot of people use.

• Like 1