• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

As some of you might know, I really like purple and blue star compositions. But because I am living in the Netherlands, I cannot permit KClO4 or KClO3. 

So I was discussing with some people in this topic, and came with a really good purple star composition using only a Nitrate as oxidizer. (Thanks to NeighborJ and OldMarine)

I just tweaked Ned Gorksi's Red rubber star composition.

Purple #1:

53% Strontium Nitrate,

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Needs a good prime to ignite. BP + Si.

Purple #2:

43% Strontium Nitrate,

10% Sulfer

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Added the sulfur to decrease the temperature to ignite it.

ignites much easier than Purple #1.

I wanted to test Purple #2, but unfortunately the weather was to bad. So I try again tomorrow. When tested inside the 2.5" shell, I will add the video of it.

P.S. Don't worry, it's just filmed slow-motion. They don't actually burn that slow ;)

Richard

Edited by redbullzuiper, 30 August 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#2 XMax

XMax

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

From the discussion in the other thread it's interesting to see that you accomplished the last purple by reducing SrNO3 and add sulfur! Have you tried changing the amount of CuO to this two?

#3 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

I did try 8% aswell, thats where i started. But that gave me more pink than purple. But I think reducing it to 10-11% will work too. But then it will be more if a light purple which has more of a pink color. Atleast, thats my guess.

#4 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:48 AM

If you make the comp into stars it will change the burn rate thus changing its color. A star in flight receives oxygen from the atmosphere which will also change the color. Anytime i test a new comp i make stars, prime and test them in flight, even if I toss it into the air with a leather glove. This is the only way to get a true sense of how it will burn and look in the sky.

Blue is a color easily washed out with light from metals, if you desire a deeper purple, reduce the MgAl content. From what I've seen from other comps, the addition of surfer can free up a bit of chlorine to help with achieving a good color saturation. There are many ways to tweek these formulas and get the desired effects.

Jason

#5 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

If you make the comp into stars it will change the burn rate thus changing its color. A star in flight receives oxygen from the atmosphere which will also change the color. Anytime i test a new comp i make stars, prime and test them in flight, even if I toss it into the air with a leather glove. This is the only way to get a true sense of how it will burn and look in the sky.

Blue is a color easily washed out with light from metals, if you desire a deeper purple, reduce the MgAl content. From what I've seen from other comps, the addition of surfer can free up a bit of chlorine to help with achieving a good color saturation. There are many ways to tweek these formulas and get the desired effects.

Jason

Tonight I will fire a 2.5" shell with this comp. They have a simple BP prime. Ill post a video when tested. Lets see how they perform in the air. If they fail, I can indeed tweak them more.

#6 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Sulfur freeing up chlorine only works with chlorates and perchlorates.  It wont have the same effect here.  It does have other added benefits in some cases though.

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#7 XMax

XMax

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Have you tried using them in a shell yet?

// Max

#8 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

I will post the video tomorrow. I was really bizzy last days.

I can atleast tell that color in the sky appeared more red. So I think ive to lower the Strontium to get a better color

#9 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Ok, as promised. The video (with a little delay ;) )

#10 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Those looked more purple than red to me. Maybe magenta? How did they look in person?

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#11 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

For me they looked the same as in the video.

#12 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

I liked it and I'm glad they light so easily. If you want more of a purple you can always continue to tweek the formula with more copper (II) oxide or a bit less MgAl. The SrNO3 is the only oxidizer in the formula so if you lessen that, it may make it more difficult to light.

Great color, I may give it a try this weekend.

Jason

#13 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Yes, they light really easy. They had a simple black powder prime. Without any metal in it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, composition, purple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users